Loves to help with queries

Default Transcribing difficulties!

I have a copy of the marriage record of ancestors marrying in Newlands, Peebles

One of the places mentioned looks like Qualkquain or Dualkquain - I tried to make it into Traquair as this was the only place nearby I could find with a q in it but I don't think it is. It says this place is in the parish of what looks like "Libertown." I just can't work it out.

Any clues anyone? thank you.

Jan1954

A couple of suggestions:

Could Libertown be Libberton?

Could Qualkquain or Dualkquain be Quothquan, which is about 2 miles south of Libberton?

Both of these places are very close to Newlands.

malcolm99

Quothquan village is/was in the parish of Libberton 5 miles NW of Biggar. It could be this - see 'Libberton' in Groome's 'Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland' (1896). If you haven't a copy to hand on your bookshelves
    () then click on the blue crest on this page and search for Libberton>

https://www.
    gazetteerofscotland.org.uk/

It'd be worth a look.I haven't found anything else in old histories of Peebleshire.

Edit: Well done Jan - I was just plodding along in my own sweet way quite oblivious of the work you'd done!
    Last edited by malcolm99; 08-12-2012 at 1:11 PM. Reason: Jan beat me to it

Loves to help with queries

Thank you very much , Jan and Michael. Yes I think it is Quothquan and maybe Libertown was an old way of writing Libberton. That's really helpful.