Loves to help with queries

Default Greatlans? Skirling

I am researching my ancestors in Peeblesshire and Lanarkshire. My Sommerville ancestors were living in Skirling in the early 1800s and are listed as living at Greatlans or something similar - struggling to read old baptism records. I am guessing this is the name of a farm in or near Skirling. Does anyone have any idea where this could be.
    Thank you

Jan1954

Looking at a current Ordnance Survey map of the Skirling area, I can see no farm or settlement with a name that looks anything like Greatlans. Mind you, that is a modern map....

Is there any way that you would be able to post the section with the word in on this thread so that we could take a peek at it? If you are not sure how to upload it here, please have a read of these instructions.

Coromandel

Greatlaws is on a list of 'place and farm names' mentioned on the 1841-1861 censuses for Skirling, according to the Borders FHS:

https://www.
    bordersfhs.org.uk/Skirling.asp

The chapter on Skirling in 'The New statistical account of Scotland', vol. 3 (on Google Books) refers to 'a place called Greatlaws, in the north-east quarter of the parish' where some Roman coins were found.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The chapter on Skirling in 'The New statistical account of Scotland', vol. 3 (on Google Books) refers to 'a place called Greatlaws, in the north-east quarter of the parish' where some Roman coins were found.
    Aha! Then that could be just north east of the hill called Gallow Law and a "Fort and Settlement" is shown on the next hill. (OS ref: NT 091412; 55.656N, 3.447W) If you find Kaimrig End on an OS map, then the hill or law is just to the west of it.

Coromandel

Well, I have found it on an old map, in an otherwise almost empty sheet:

https://
    maps.nls.uk/os/25inch/view/?sid=74954996#sid=74954996&zoom=5&lat=4362&lon=309 2&layers=BT

(not sure if that link will work)

Jan1954

Well found, Jane - and the link works fine.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Well found, Jane - and the link works fine.
    That's good news! The bad news is that it is quite difficult to work out how that map sheet connects to the rest of the world, as you can't seem to switch back easily to the modern map from the one given in the link. So I have been trying to find another way round the problem . . .

From that little fragment of map you can see that Greatlaws was just to the east of Cloven Knowes, which is marked as the site of some archaeological finds (stone coffins).

If you search for Cloven Knowes here:

https://www.
    rcahms.gov.uk/

you will get a modern map of the area showing Cloven Knowes (but not Greatlaws). Zoom out to figure out where you are in relation to the rest of Skirling.

Loves to help with queries

Wow, thank you both for all that research. That's brilliant. You have also confirmed another place that was mentioned "Knowe" is in the area too. I wasn't definite about that spelling either.
    I really appreciate your time and kindness.