David R McKay

Default Mackays of Fraserburgh Aberdeenshire

Hello all Mckays/MacKay’s of northeast Scotland. Since I posted last in 2011, I have completed a booklet of what I know or have assumed of the family of William and /Ann Auld Mackay of Fraserburgh. Some of the data I am sure of, but some is pure supposition. Needless to say I am interested in gaining as much factual information as possible. Is there anyone who has expertise in Mackays/McKays of the Fraserburgh and Northeast Scotland area from 1700 to 1850 that might help in developing a reasonably factual account of this family.

There is Fowler family connection that has been confirmed by a descendent of David Clubb Fowler. Both the descendent and I agree that Ann Fowler, David Clubb’s mother, was a daughter of William and Ann Auld. William Mackay was a civil engineer who according to the Fowler genealogy laid out the grounds for the Gordon Castle in Banff. I have identified areas of uncertainty and would appreciate any confirming information from McKay’s of Fraserburgh

I would like to forward the story of this family, or attach it to this WEB site. While it is not long it may be too much information to attach. Let me know how I can make the information available to those of you who might be able to add to or solve the mystery of the linage of the McKay/Mackay family of Fraserburgh

David McKay

David R McKay

LOOKING FOR THE FAMILY OF ROBERT S MCKAY
    I have been looking for Robert McKay for years, and through the help of a contact who now lives in France, and from Freaserburgh, she was able to find Robert’s where abouts from 1832 to 1841. He had married Ann Cooper Dec 6, 1832, in Old Machar, by Rev Dr. Glennie. Robert and Ann had two children (Martha born December 1833 and Leslie Ann born March, 1836 both born in Aberdeen.) The baptisms were both witnessed by John Mckay and a Cooper family member. Martha was baptized by Reverend James Bisset and Leslie was baptize by Reverend Alex D. Davidson. Both Robert and John McKay are stone masons. The 1841 census has Robert, and his family are living in Hartlepool , England, on Cleveland Street, with Robert working as a mason. He then deserts his family and goes to Manchester, England, starting a new life.

The 1841 census shows John McKay (a mason) living in Aberdeen then on the 1851 census he is living in Skene (born Fraserburgh), and is now a grocer, living with his wife, Elspet, and the ages of the three children all line up with the 1841 census. They are living at Mason Lodge in 1851. In 1859 John dies (still living at mason lodge) his parents are listed as Ann Auld and William McKay (Land surveyor) married May 14, 1791. Knowing this my contact from France determined from the death certificate that Catherine McKay died 1867 at age 72 was the sister of John McKay. She was married to a George Reid and her parents were William McKay and Ann Auld. Reid is a name which has carried down through Robert’s second family for four generations.

I need to find out more about Robert himself. Does anyone know anything more about these Mckays? I have identified four possible birth records for Robert. These records are from Scotland’s People. I would appreciate comments from others who have done research in the area. I just do not know parish locations or their relationships to the various towns that have a record of Robert’s birth. Family records for Robert show a birth date of Oct. 31, 1813, in Fraserburgh, Records number 2, 3, and 4 are really confusing to me. Some of the writing is difficult to read, so please excuse any mistakes.

FOUR DOCUMENTS RELATED TO JOHN AND ROBERT MCKAY
    1. INCARNATION 1814 TOMBAE THE INCARNATION
    I the undersigned certified ROBERT MCKAY lawful son to Robert McKay and Jean White prove ______-born on this inst. (Dec. 15, 1814). There sponsors were Robert L. Gordon, Backside Clashmore, and James John Gordon
    2.LETHERON RAMSCRAIG 1814
    April 14, 1814 JOHN MCKAY Ramscraigs Renzany Robert
    3.LETHERON SECOND RECORD FOR JOHN MCKAY April 29, and 30, 1816
    April 29, 1816 JOHN MCKAY Ramscraig a Bastard Robert
    April 30, 1816 JOHN MCKAY of Gallach Haustany John
    BAPTISIMS OF ROBERT AND WILLIAM AND ISABEL IN CAIRNIE TO JOHN MCKAY 1815 AND 1819 IN 4.CAIIRNIE
    ( Cairnie 24th May 1815 Robert lawful son to John McKay and
    ( Anne Merson in Horntownie was born 20th and baptized 23rd
    ( of May 1815

( Cairnie 29th November 1819 William and Isabel lawful twin
    ( Children to John Mackay and Anne Merson in Horntownie were
    ( Born 20th and baptized 23rd November 1819