coenmfam

Default Firewall Intro

This is a good intro to that other security measure
    Firewalls

https://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117557,00.asp

Neville

gibo

Thumbs up firewalls

I have used ZoneAlarm freebie firewall for a year or so and find it great.
    A lot smarter than the XP bulit in firewall.

To download go here and look for the freebie.

-zonelabs.com/store/-
    Last edited by ChristineR; 27-01-2009 at 3:25 AM. Reason: remove commercial link

gibo

Wink Free Firewalls

Since my last post about this subject I have had a change of heart about ZoneAlarm. I think it is good but a bit cumbersome when it comes to managing the alerts it gives you. It often is not self apparent what "baddie" is trying to connect to my[XP] pc. You are asked do you want a program to have access and the description is not always understood. I use FILSECLAB now and it is a bit more easier to use. Once you go through initial set up and usual question and answer routine it is more "background" working now and I forget it is there [which is the way it should be]. One problem though - FILSECLAB current version is not compatible with Vista windows (I believe) whereas Zonealarm does now have a version that is compatible. Google to find the install files after you decide which one to use. Have fun.
    Regards, Jeff

gibo

Default Comodo Firewall

I now am trialling Comodo with Vista and it works great but is annoying sometimes how it asks you questions to build a "good" and "bad" programs list to allow working on your computer.

Apparently standard vista firewall is better/safer than XP standard anyway.

paget

used comodo free firewall for 18 months once you set it up with the allow/deny for progs its a great free firewall