Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Hello Orinda

Forgive me asking but what was the Widnes connection ??

Regarding Stanislaus were he worked as a miner would be the equal of finding a needle in a haystack. The Leigh area was covered in mining companies. There is a web site that covers mining accidents and does list names of casualties, that I think would be the nearest you would get to an answer, and then only if he was involved.

Best of luck
    Geoff W

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Orinda View Post
    Hello:
    Can you tell me where Stanislaus was a miner? Name of company and location?

Orinda
    His service record is available on the pay per view site Ancestry. I cannot remember if it gave the details of his employer. If you do not have it, I suggest you do your best to obtain it. There were lots of pages and it was quite interesting reading.

Orinda

Hello Geoff:
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't had much to go on, just what the family has said. Widnes always came up as where he lived.
    But, that has proved wrong, Stanislaus has moved around a bit. Places such as Leigh, Atherton, Tyldesley. The reason why I
    asked if someone could help me to find out where he was employed is a bit of a story. Another English lady has a book called
    "Into the Crucible" in that book it talks about the life of miners. There was a Vincent Astrauskt who was a lead hand at Lancashire
    Metals. Vincent Astrowski (Stanislaus's father-in-law) had a daughter called Annie so I was trying to put this together. That
    perhaps before he became a watchmaker that he worked as a miner to save the money to open his business and he married
    Vincent's Astrowski's daughter. I have yet to prove that Annie Astrowski was really Astrauskaus. Lithuanians both of them.
    Sorry to go on a bit but it becomes complicated if you don't know all the facts.

Orinda

Orinda

Default British-Genealogy Forun

Hello:
    In response to Stanislaus's War records, I am not sure what is involved. I have some war records,
    that I have sent away for from the National Archives concerning Stanislaus. You would have to be
    more specific.

Orinda

Hello Orinda,

Had a look at my book 'Into the Crucible', this deals with the chemical industry that arrived in Widnes around 1840 and the people that came from far and wide seeking employment.

I did find an entry in the book as you say regarding V. Astrowsk, Nationality: Russian Pole, Aged 39 with 14 years service working for the Lancashire Metal Works. This was a list of all foreign nationals who at the time of the First World War were employed in industry. All Europeans were called Russian Poles even though they were not on these lists.

Another look at the Death Register for Widnes Cemetery I found that a Vincent Astrouski died 12 August 1952 aged 80, his address was given as 32 Margaret Street, this was the address that your relative who I found earlier was buried from.

I am surmising that another entry in the register Mary Astrouski had died 3 September 1958,her address was Suttons Lane was Vincent's wife. The two addresses were only two streets apart so she could have moved to live with relatives.

I know this is not the exact information you are looking for, but as they say every little helps.

Regards
    Geoff W

Orinda

Hi Geoff:
    Thanks so much! Before I was going guessing, now you have supplied the proof. I have matched that information with the
    address I have on the marriage certificate, which is 32 Margaret St. I wish I could get my hands on that book "Into the Crucible"
    but it is out of print now.
    Another thing you might advise me on is in 1937 Annie Astrowski died leaving a husband and five children. Two of the younger
    children were place in a Catholic Orphange. Kathleen (my husband's Mother) and her brother Vincent. I am trying to find out
    where. I know its another needle in a haystack. I have written to Nugent Care. They weren't helpful so where does this leave
    me? If you have any ideas I welcome them.

Thanks a lot:

Orinda

The only Catholic Orphanage I knew of in Widnes was 'Nazareth House' but this was only for boys, now long since gone. Were the girls were sent to I do not know, but I will make enquiries and see what I can find. You could try writing to the Liverpool Diocese for help as Widnes I think comes under their care.

When looking at the registers I forgot to mention a third death, that is of Anthony Astrouski,aged 54, died 3rd September 1917, residence, Whiston Workhouse. Residents of Widnes who fell on hard times could be sent there.

Geoff W

Orinda

Not sure if this Anthony was Annie's brother,there was a Anthony Astrowski who was Annie's brother, he married a
    Annie Skillki, I have been in touch with a descendant of that family who lives in Merseyside, but he is interested in
    the Skillki side of the family. Members of this family are Vincent, Annie, Anthony and Petrosemary Astrowski.
    The fact of the matter is I don't know if Puskunigas family resided in Widnes. Can you help with this? Annie Astrowski
    died in 1937 so the children would of been placed in care around that time.

Orinda

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I can't help a great deal, but I've just been on the phone to my sister in law, who was born and bred in Widnes, and lived there until the late 1970's.

She remembers Margaret Street quite well, but obviously had no interest in Watchmakers. She remembers Margaret Street being in close proximity to St.Marie's Catholic Church off Lugsdale Road.

Steve.

Orinda

Default St. Marie's Catholic Church

Hello Steve:
    I think this must be the church that they got married in but I googled it and does not have
    services at present. The church on the marriage certificate says St. Mary's but that is a
    Anglican church and they were Catholic.So it must be St. Marie's!
    Orinda

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast