Dollah

Default Verry Ashton Sammond all from Liverpool lanc

Does any one know where any of this family of mine came from before they came to Liverpool John Verry bn 1845 - Mary Jane Sammond bn1844 - Jane Price bn 1837 who lived married James Ashton, lived Harding st Wavetree liverpool lancashire. I have looked up the the parish registers and cannot find them.. many thanks gratefull for any help.... Dollah

janbooth

All census records indicate John VERRY was born in Liverpool. The 1851 census (surname shown as VERY) shows him living in Liverpool St Martin with his widowed mother Margaret who was born in Ireland plus 2 siblings. I guess your first port of call should be Liverpool St Martin. Do you have John's marriage certificate as that will give his father's name and occupation which should make looking for him somewhat easier. The 1851 census shows that John had a brother Thomas who was born c1840 and Ancestry have the actual baptismal record of a Thomas VERRY on 28 December 1840 at Liverpool St Anthony's RC, father John VERRY mother Margt HACKETT who sounds a likely candidate.

Janet

MarkJ

I have moved this thread from "Surname Interests" where it would be closed.

Coromandel

Hello Dollah and welcome to the forum

Could you please fill in a bit more detail about what you already know about these people? It would be helpful, for example, if you could give census references so that we can be sure we're looking at the right people. I can see some possibilities for John Verry/Very and Mary Jane Sammon(d) on FamilySearch but can't tell if they're yours.

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't done it already, is to find the marriages of all these people. Church registers (or marriage certificates) should give the names of the fathers of bride and groom and so help you find them on earlier censuses.

Let us know what you know already and we can try to advise you what to do next.

janbooth

Mary Jane SAMMOND is living in Liverpool St Thomas in the 1851 census together with parents Henry & Elizabeth and 3 siblings. Her baptism is on Ancestry at Liverpool St Peter (the actual image) on 8 December 1844, parents Henry & Elizabeth, Shoemaker, Grayson Street.

Ancestry has a lot of Liverpool baptisms as well as census and many other records. Is it possible for you to access Ancestry in any way - for example a lot of our Libraries give free access - so you can look for the baptisms of the people you are interested in via their website using census records as well to corroborate the information.

Janet