Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Odd Names

Nicolina

I've just found a Francis Loose WICK. Whether it was his father's surname, I've yet to discover.

Annamarie

Have to add TAWCHER ANBROOKE! Mum must have had a hard time ...

Tinker

Oh, poor child! And to make a person feel really unappreciated, how about being lumbered with the names Not Wanted James Colvill, One Too Many Gouldstone or No-merit Vynall!

Barnzzz

Just come accross Stanley Victorian Herbert. And also his brother Victor Gordon Herbert, who was born the year after General Gordon died. Their parents must have been very patriotic !

Nicolina

and I've just found a female relative with the middle name James!!!!!!! Bet she was confused.

Tinker

It's marvellous what baptismal records reveal:
    Caractacus Reliance Rathbone
    Tweed Ham
    Noble Commons
    and Percy James Lovely-Smith.

exiled brummie

It really is a pity the Norman Conquest saw the demise of so many Anglo-Saxon names. Imagine, had it not been for William we could be searching wonderful names like Aethelbert, Aethelbald, Oswyth, Offa, Uffa, Yffi and, my favourite, Thingfrith.

In 1939 a single mother from Birmingham was actually allowed to register her son as Adolph. No, it wasn't me, I could walk by then.

Tinker

Nicolina, if you think that little girl was confused, how about this one?:
    A female child in South Africa was baptised 'Willem Hendrik Johannes Jacobus' because her grandfather insisted that she be given his Christian names!! The minister put a note to this effect in the register, but I don't think he approved. I bet her first name was converted to Willemina when the old boy was out of earshot.

Tinker

Here's another batch of 'unusual' first names found while browsing through images on FamilySearch:
    Speciline
    Gleneth
    Lawmary
    Netlam Tory
    Bridella
    Hazilia
    Wendelena
    Perthenia
    Higera
    Pax
    and last but not least, Beanland!

BayHorse

Not for the first time I've just come across a 'Belly Throp'.

I expect the census writer forgot to cross his t's, but every time I see it I have an image of an old lady leaping off a diving board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast