Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MattJW

Default What were the Minors doing in Barbados?

Hi all, another brickwall from me. Different side of the family. My 3rd Great Grandmother, Anna Maria Wroe nee Minor was born in 1833 in Barbados, according to all the census returns I can find her on.

By 1841 she is living back where her father, Samuel, was born, in Warminster, Wiltshire,. She is living with her father and mother Mary. I then cannot find her on the 1851 or 1861 census. She married a John Wroe from Manchester and moved with him to the Glamorgan area of Wales. where she lived for the rest of her life. I can find her on every other census up until what I believe is her death in 1906, though with her name spely differently or even being called Mary.

I've looked on a few other sites and can't find anything on her birth in Barbados, and why her parents were in Barbados. I don't know where to look next. There is also some mystery surrounding her mother Mary aswell. on the 1841 census it says she was born overseas, and I can't find anything on her either.

All I did find, on familysearch, was a christening record for an Anna Maria Minor, daughter of Samuel, in 1812 in Barbados. This is either someone different or a mis transcription. All the census' would have her born in 1833.

Any help is much appreciated.

Matt

Hugh Thompson

Hi Matt, I have a GG grandmother born in Barbados in the year 1808, her father was a regimental soldier stationed there and that could possibly apply to your ancestor as well, the Anna Maria Minor, daughter of Samuel, born in 1812 could be an aunt to your girl?
    Hugh.

Just a couple of observations.
    Both findmypast and ancestry have Anna Maria and her mother Mary as born in Ireland on the 1841 census.
    In 1881 Maria is down as being born Warminster. RG11/5356/73/21
    In 1891 John is on his own but down as married RG12/4477/45/39 Do you have Anna Maria in 1891 and 1901? I am having trouble finding her.

MattJW

Here she is in '91

And in 1901

I've checked military births for her but can't find her.

Also, with the 1841 census, I don't understand where they get the birthplace of Ireland from. There is a tick in the 'Whether born in Scotland, Ireland or foreign parts' column but it does not specify what country.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-11-2012 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Links to Ancestry removed. See post #7

Reputation beyond repute

There is a tick in the 'Whether born in Scotland, Ireland or foreign parts' column but it does not specify what country.

There's a letter "I" in the column. I=Ireland.

MattJW

Ahhhh I see.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by MattJW View Post
    Here she is in '91

And in 1901

I've checked military births for her but can't find her.

Also, with the 1841 census, I don't understand where they get the birthplace of Ireland from. There is a tick in the 'Whether born in Scotland, Ireland or foreign parts' column but it does not specify what country.
    I am sorry that this post no longer makes sense, but links to Ancestry have been removed as it is a commercial website. See the Terms of Service here.

Not only that but, unless a member has either a subscription to Ancestry or buys credits, they are unable to view the links. Therefore, please do not post them.

Thank you.

MattJW

My bad. How do I reference what census return they are on? I don't understand where people get these codes from.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by MattJW View Post
    My bad. How do I reference what census return they are on? I don't understand where people get these codes from.
    Have a read of this. It explains about the census references, and the important things to record are the Piece, Folio and then the page number. These should be found on the records that you access.

OK finally found her in 1901. Transcribed as Moe on ancestry. I have put in a correction.
    RG13 piece 5077 folio 165 page 13
    103 High Street Swansea
    Ann Wroe 68 Barbados West Indies
    Eliza Reynolds 14 grandchild Swansea Glamorganshire

1891 RG12 piece 4480 folio 78 page 27
    Calling herself Mary, born Barbados and living with son and granddaughter Elizabeth is with them.
    She says she is a widow but I thought I had found a candidate for John in 1891. Doesnn't actually matter as the queastion is Anna/ Maria/Mary/Ann's birth place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast