Isambard

Smile Robert Hutton b. 1846 Muthill Perthshire

Robert Hutton b. 19 May 1846 Muthill, married Margaret Fraser b. 1845 Fort Augustus, in Edinburgh 20 October 1868.

I’m looking for additional information on Robert Hutton’s parents/grandparents and others. His parents were John Hutton and Elizabeth Mitchell, married 13 October 1820 Muthill.

The 1851 census, Muthill, lists Elizabeth Hutton, widow, plus seven children, according to my calculations born between 1828 (Elizabeth age 23) and 1846 (Robert age 4). All seven children were born in Muthill. In addition I have found what appear to be two additional children, another Elizabeth b. 1823 and Margaret b. 1824, also born Muthill.

Despite spending quite a few pennies to enrich the Crown I have not found the family in the 1841 census, even though the children’s birth dates bracket the census, nor have I found John Hutton’s birth or death or parentage.

Any information or corrections would be appreciated.

jac65

Hi

Ancestry on the 1841 census has transcribed the parents as HuttEn and the children as HAtton as well as variable spellings for some of the first names but I have no idea what SP have transcribed it as.

Try searching for Betty Mitchell age 65 in the 1841 Muthill census as she is in the household and there is only 1 match on SP and Ancestry.

Andy

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi

Ancestry on the 1841 census has transcribed the parents as HuttEn and the children as HAtton as well as variable spellings for some of the first names but I have no idea what SP have transcribed it as.

Try searching for Betty Mitchell age 65 in the 1841 Muthill census as she is in the household and there is only 1 match on SP and Ancestry.

Andy
    Thanks to that tip I found John Hutton age 40 and family on the SP 1841 Muthill census original, apparently not transcribed since Hutton seems clear to me. Wild card and name variants failed to find a transcription. I have yet to find his death or birth - perhaps other nontranscriptions?

jac65

Hi

Is Elizabeth a widow in the 1851 census? If so then John died before Statutory Registration commenced so there won't be a death certificate.

If you don't have it then I think I have found Elizabeths death in 1862 registered as Betsy Hutton age 57 in Muthill. She is on the 1861 census at Muthill as Betty Hutton age 55

Andy

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi

Is Elizabeth a widow in the 1851 census? If so then John died before Statutory Registration commenced so there won't be a death certificate.

If you don't have it then I think I have found Elizabeths death in 1862 registered as Betsy Hutton age 57 in Muthill. She is on the 1861 census at Muthill as Betty Hutton age 55

Andy
    Thanks for that find. Elizabeth/Betty/Betsy Hutton ne Mitchell was a widow in 1851, so there goes a chance of finding John Hutton's death between 1841 and 1851.

John Hutton and Elizabeth Mitchell had two daughters named Elizabeth (or Betty) i.e. Elizabeth Hutton b. 17/01/1823 to John Hutton/Elizabeth Mitchell; and Betty Hutton b. 20/05/1827 to John Hutton/Betty Mitchell.

Betty (1827) appears as Betty, age 14 in 1841, as Elizabeth, age 23 in 1851 and once more as Betty, age 33 in 1861.

Elizabeth (1823), tthe Hutton's first child presumably died in infancy; with Betty/Elizabeth (1827), the fourth child, to carry on grandmother's and mother's name.