Thread: Ing(e) families

Findem

Default Ing(e) families

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a Bedfordshire ancestor sibling who married a person with the Ing(e) name, or any likely variant of that name, or failing that might have noticed an Ing(e) marriage in Bedfordshire.

I'm looking for the following four marriages which seemingly didn't occur in Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire:-

Buckinghamshire Ing(e) families.
    William (bap 1611 Chilton cum Easington) Inge to Elizabeth pre 1643, two known children bap Chilton cum Easington, Mark 1643 & Thomas 1647.
    Mark & Ann Ing married c1673, all 9 known children bap Long Crendon 1st child baptised 1675.
    William & Mary Ing married c1715, all 4 known children bap Long Crendon 1st child baptised 1718.
    William & Mary Ing married c1743, all 9 known children bap Long Crendon1st child baptised 1744.

Searches carried out to date:
    Three hundred year marriage search for Ing and variant surnames, 1538 to 1835 (included Thame Oxfordshire) in the Bucks FHS database.
    Oxfordshire Marriage Index.
    Oxfordshire Marriage Bonds (online) Index.

As the marriages didn't apparently occur in Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire I'm wondering if the grooms were working in Bedfordshire and found wives there. Alternatively perhaps they were tipped off about good wife prospects in Bedfordshire and went there to sus it out.

It seems very strange to me that to all appearances not one of those four marriages occurred in Buckinghamshire. Especially strange when one considers that the last three of the four families baptised and raised their children in the same village, Long Crendon.

Being at desperation point, having seemingly exhausted options availabe to me, I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Regards

Brick wall demolition expert!

The Find my Past site has an good range of parish records some going back to the 1500s.

A lot of the early records have either not survived or are extremely difficult to read and therefore prone (understandably) to transcription errors.

davidcarca

Virtually all Beds parish registers (marriages & baptisms) pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org . I can't see any of your marriages in Beds. The parish that's missing - Everton - is now in Hunts, but I've checked the transcript and unsurprisingly none of the marriages took place there

David

janbooth

The Bedfordshire Name Index shows the earliest ING/INGE marriage to be that of a John ING at Whipsnade in 1713. I also found the marriage of a Thomas ING of Edlesboro BKM at Eaton Bray in 1762 which you may already know about. Sorry, there are no further details as it is just an Index per surname.

Janet

Findem

Hi All,

Thank you for your help and suggestions, it was a bit of a long shot I know but worth a try!

Megan, I'm thinking along the lines of your ideas, I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to see if the actual PRs for Long Crendon are on fiche or CD, I have by the way already purchased the Bucks FHS Long Crendon PR transcripts 1559 - 1901 CD.

I do know there is at least one error on that CD, an ancestor sibling John Ing baptised 1685 is shown as John Ingrum, a check by a Bucks FHS person confirmed that it should be Ing not Ingrum, now I'm wondering if any Long Crendon marriages have been wrongly transcribed or even missed.

Regards.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Findem View Post
    I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to see if the actual PRs for Long Crendon are on fiche or CD
    It is most definitely a good idea to consult the original parish registers whenever possible. When you have the original in front of you, you can see all the defects (torn pages; damage from fire, water, creepy crawlies, or mould), crossings out, alterations, marginal notes, bits written upside down in the back of the register, and so on. Even the best transcripts cannot convey all this information.

It also allows you to browse, which is so important. If you are reliant on searching a database, you will only search for the variants you think of. With a name like Ing I'm sure there must be a great many variants.

Do also check whether there are any gaps in the registers during the periods your people are most likely to have married. Sometimes transcripts do not make it clear when there are gaps.

Findem

Hi Coromandel,

I do try to confirm ancestors found on transcripts in the relevant PRs, later today I'll be checking out what's available for Bucks, I'll not be surprised to find there's something amiss. I'm researching my late wife's tree, she has six Bucks Ing families, there is one prior to those I listed and one following them, both of which the Bucks FHS database came up trumps, it's just those four in the middle proving difficult!!

This is the first time I've experienced the problem of having a succession of missing marriages in the same line.

Regards

Findem

Hi,

I commissioned the Archives department of Bucks C C to search the Marriages Registers for the parish of Long Crendon for the four marriages in question but no luck with any of the four.

Regards.