Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Steve
    I see that you were seeking information on the lines back in 2008 and had posted on British Jewry site.
    I have the record of the 1875 marriage in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 edited and transcribed by Doreen Berger, 1999 Pub Robert Boyd-
    Marriage 18.8.1875 at the Great Synagogue of 6 Sun Street Bishopsgate Isaac Lewis to Elizabeth youngest daughter of Barnett Emanuel of 8 King Street Aldgate; Amelia Emanuel mother in law; Moss Emanuel brother in law.
    No other reference to Isaac's relatives.
    The Emanuel line relate through marriage to Israel L Isaacs brother in law of Barnett Emanuel. Barnett dies age 78 on 18.11.1879 -9 Aldgate St
    Phillip

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    What does the marriage certificate of 1875 record- names; address; witnesses etc- let us know.
    It's dated 18 Aug 1875 and reads: "Married in the Great Synagogue according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish Religion by Certificate." It states that he is Isaac Lewis; age: 30; condition: Bachelor; profession: Traveller; father: Levy Lewis; profession of father: Commissioning Agent. His address (the same as his wife, Betsey Emanuel) is given as 9 King Street, James's Place, Aldgate. The witnesses are: Aaron Gomez Da Costa and Mark Levy.

slewis1

I see that you were seeking information on the lines back in 2008 and had posted on British Jewry site. ... No other reference to Isaac's relatives.
    Indeed that was my last shot at the problem. He seems to have sprung from nowhere in 1875, with no relatives and no independent abode. I can only assume that as a "Traveller" he was lodging with the Emanuels and that's how he came across their daughter. The 1871 census record with Charles Lewis, profession "Traveller in Pictures", born in York in 1844/5 is a good fit with the evidence I have thereafter. But his absence prior to that is confusing.

Even if he was evading authority at age 17 in 1861, I would expect him at least to turn up when only age 7 in the 1851 census named either Isaac or Charles. Perhaps his parents died when he was very young? Perhaps he ran away from home? Either way, being born in the 1840s, he should have a civil birth record.

There maybe another clue to help your search- could be a red herring but worth noting. I see in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 edited and transcribed by Doreen Berger, 1999 Pub Robert Boyd- this entry
    Moss Emanuel was the son of Barnett Emanuel and his wife Amelia. Amelia died 3.12.1878 age 72 at 9 King Street Aldgate.
    Amelia daughter of Moss Emanuel married 27.3.1878 at Howard's Hotel St James Place Aldgate by Rev Dr Adler- Amelia eldest daughter of Moss Emanuel of 18 Mitre St Aldgate to Jacob son of Samuel LEWIS of 17 Cobb's Yard.
    Is this Samuel Lewis a brother to Isaac? It may help you rule in or out whether or not the lines really do relate to you.
    Numbers of my Jewish relatives do not have civil birth records. They include my great grandfather and his sister plus my grandmother. Fortunately, Berger had their births listed taken from the Jewish Chronicle which first began publication in 1841- the archives are online but at a cost.In addition, those who have followed my many postings on this Jewish thread will have noted the vast changes in the use of first names and surnames by many individuals often not recorded formally.
    I will see what else there maybe.
    Phillip

Filling in any possible gaps in data and also to assist any other researchers who are seeking Emanuel/Lewis lines- see Cemetery Scribes Person ID 114941 for records on the death and family of Barnet Emanuel of 9 King Street married to Amelia Isaacs. The family can be seen in census records at the same address from 1841- Barnet Emanuel was an orange dealer/merchant. There is an Isaacs family living next door so may well be close relatives via marriage.
    I meant to say in the last post was Jacob a brother of Isaac.
    Also noted in Berger 1861-70 volume reference to another Lewis/Emanuel marriage ( again there maybe no connection other than commonality of names)- Maria Emanuel only daughter of H M Emanuel to Henry B Lewis third son of Benjamin Lewis of Brighton. Marriage took place in Calcutta India 31.3.1868

There is also a record of a T Lewis ( could be an error and might read J) of 17 Cobbs Yard Spitalfields -assistant at the Burial Society United Synagogue. The 17 Cobbs Yard was the address of Samuel Lewis on the marriage of his son Jacob posted previously.
    Phillip

slewis1

Moss Emanuel was the son of Barnett Emanuel and his wife Amelia. Amelia died 3.12.1878 age 72 at 9 King Street Aldgate.
    Amelia daughter of Moss Emanuel married 27.3.1878 at Howard's Hotel St James Place Aldgate by Rev Dr Adler- Amelia eldest daughter of Moss Emanuel of 18 Mitre St Aldgate to Jacob son of Samuel LEWIS of 17 Cobb's Yard.
    Indeed, my research shows Moss to be the oldest brother of Charles' wife Betsey/Elizabeth (whe was the youngest daughter.)

Charles and Betsey also called their first daughter, born in 1878 Amelia. This supports the pattern in this family of naming each first grandchild after the a grandparent, or more specifically, perhaps the first male child after the paternal grandfather, and the first female child after the maternal grandmother? Interestingly, in this family, they did so regardless of whether that grandparent was still alive, which I'm led to believe is not so common practice in Jewish families.

So with a first son named Moss, it's no suprise that Barnet's father was Moshe.

Given the 17 year age difference between Moss and Betsey, it's possible that their niece Amelia married a younger brother or a nephew of Charles. But neither of the names Samuel or Jacob appear anywhere in my Lewis family trees, so the surname could just be a coincidence - Lewis is not so rare a surname.

Steve

slewis1

The family can be seen in census records at the same address from 1841- Barnet Emanuel was an orange dealer/merchant. There is an Isaacs family living next door so may well be close relatives via marriage.
    Barnet's wife was indeed Amelia Isaacs and there's a good match between for one of her neighbours with her father Abraham. And therefore the others are likely also related.

A thought- is Levy Lewis also Samuel Lewis b abt 1820 who may also be the Samuel who appears in 1911 Census age 90 living with daughter and her family- see RG14 1078. I have seen a family tree which has Harriet with a question mark for his wife and his son is Jacob who married into the Emanuel line and who changed his first name to Jacob. I have seen a dob of 1809 for Levy Lewis father of Isaac but there is no evidence of the source.
    The Jewish practice of naming an individual after a living person varies considerably but the early practice was for Ashkenazi Jews to name an individual after a dead relative whereas the Sephardi named individuals after living relatives- there are considerable variations in this practice as people married out of the Jewish faith.
    Phillip

slewis1

I have seen a dob of 1809 for Levy Lewis father of Isaac but there is no evidence of the source.
    The only Levy Lewis I've seen with dob 1809 was a church founder in the USA. That one seems an unlikely candidate.

is Levy Lewis also Samuel Lewis b abt 1820 who may also be the Samuel who appears in 1911 Census age 90 living with daughter and her family.
    Again, I can't rule it out, but with no Samuels in the family and the naming tradition, it seems unlikely. As I mentioned in a previous post, if I could rely on the naming tradition, given that Charles' fiirst son was named Lewis, a better candidate would be another Lewis Lewis or perhaps, if he inverted the names on his marriage certificate, a Lewis Levy.

I have no idea of the likelihood of such an inversion. But another reason I wonder about that is that there is a family rumour, but nothing more, that the family name was once Levy.

slewis1

I have one success. I obtained a death certificate from 16 June 1912 for a Charles Isaac Lewis which gives his age at death as 67 and his place of death as his older son's address which matches the address I found in the 1911 census and also gives as informant another son whose address also matches the son I found in the 1911 census. I also found a record of his burial on 18 June 1912 at Plashet on the United Synagogue website.

However, the birth certificate I obtained for the Charles Lewis born in York in 1844 gives the father as John Lewis and the mother as Eliza Houseman. This is not the confirmation I had hoped for of his father (Levy Lewis on his marriage certificate), so I'm still stumped on locating his parents as I can't think of another source to search now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast