Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    neverending

Red face John Clark, Peasmarsh, 1804

MESSAGE FROM MODERATOR:
    PLEASE READ POST #19 BEFORE SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION TO HELP ENQUIRER

Hi everyone. John Clark is hiding from me but I will not give up until I find him.
    I hope there is someone out there who can give me some clues. I have done a lot of searching over the last three years but have been unable to find proof of his birth. It has been said that he was born in Peasmarsh in 1804 but i have been unable to prove this. I would love to know who his parents are so I can trace his movements and find out when he came to Tasmania.
    I know he had a sister Sarah, who I think was some years younger than him.
    He is also supposed to have worked for Thomas Peas at "woodside", Peasmarsh as a gamekeeper.
    His sister Sarah married a Johnson and had a son John, this information was in a letter she wrote to her brther in 1861 as she was looking for her son and she thought he may have come to Tasmania.
    John replied to Sarah but the letter was returned in 1891, thirty years after it was sent. It came from Barham in Kent.
    I have found a Sarah Johnson in Kent through the Census but cant find out if she was nee Clark/e .Any help would be greatfully received.

malcolm99

I have come across an 1824 will of a John Clark of Peasmarsh but apart from having a son John none of the other names seems to fit, but I thought I’d send details of it anyway. On reflection, when I say none of the other names fit it is quite possible that what I’m reading as Johanna is in fact Hannah – in which case this will pushes most of the right buttons except that there’s no mention of a Sarah as far as I can see.

John Clark was a husbandman of Peasmarsh. He wrote his will in 1822 and it was proved in London in May 1824. The executors are his son John Clark and his son-in-law Robert Robinson. This Robert Robinson was married to John Clark senior’s daughter Johanna(Hannah?).

He left bequests to (1) Johanna Robinson; (2) Ann Clark (his unmarried daughter); (3) 4 children of his deceased son Thomas Clark viz. David (James?), Thomas, Johanna(Hannah?) and Edward; (4) Timothy Smith, the son of his deceased daughter Mary Smith.

I find that Wills of this period are rather difficult to read but I think I’ve got it about right.

This is a good general map of the area which places Peasmarsh in context:
    https://www.
    sfhg.org.uk/newmap_of_parishes.html

Edit: Mod -could this now be moved to the Sussex Forum please
    Last edited by malcolm99; 31-10-2012 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Request to Mod

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Edit: Mod -could this now be moved to the Sussex Forum please
    Done

malcolm99

Thanks Jan

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
    He is also supposed to have worked for Thomas Peas at "woodside", Peasmarsh as a gamekeeper.
    There are some references online to a Thomas Pix of Woodside, Peasmarsh, including this death announcement from Gentleman's Magazine vol. 194:

[died June 24th 1853]

'At Woodside, Peasmarsh, Sussex, aged 74, Thomas Pix, esq. one of the firm of the Rye Bank,
    and a justice of the peace for the county.'

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    There are some references online to a Thomas Pix of Woodside, Peasmarsh, including this death announcement from Gentleman's Magazine vol. 194:

[died June 24th 1853]

'At Woodside, Peasmarsh, Sussex, aged 74, Thomas Pix, esq. one of the firm of the Rye Bank,
    and a justice of the peace for the county.'

malcolm99

Does anyone (!) have ideas as to the names (1) 3rd word in first full line (2) penultimate name in last full line [from John Clark's will]

https://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/.../JohnClark.jpg

Later - and is it David or James before Thomas in the last line?
    Last edited by malcolm99; 31-10-2012 at 8:46 PM. Reason: a further plea for clarification

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Does anyone (!) have ideas as to the names (1) 3rd word in first full line (2) penultimate name in last full line [from John Clark's will]
    I'm pretty sure it is Hannah (x2).

P.S. oh, just saw your additional query - I read it as James.

Jan1954

1) ...my daughter Joannah, the wife of the said Robert.... etc

2) ...unto my grandchildren James, Thomas, Joannah and Edward... etc

Well, that is what it looks like to me..... but other opinions are certainly welcome!

malcolm99

Thank you both - I profess to struggle somewhat with this type of script. Now that is tipping the balance towards Hannah being important and for the life of me (even looking back at my notes) I can't remember why Hannah's name was so significant!
    (This is not one of my best days...but I'm trying..... ).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast