Colin Rowledge

Default Have only found such an event in Cornwall

To me this is rare - but there may be others yet to be uncovered:

On 25 December 1834 one George Michell married a lady by the name of Elizabeth Michell. Neither had been previously married. He was aged 18 and she was aged 17. They had 11 children.

Her parents were Edward Michell and Martha Michell. Same situation - neither had been previously married. They married 4 November 1809.

His parents have yet to be found.

They all lived in Gwinear.

I have only just scratched the surface on this name.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Further scratching has shown several other Michel's marrying ladies of the same name. Were there no other people other than Michel's in the community at that time?

CanadianCousin

Sounds like where my maternal grandparents lived, in Co. Cork, Ireland. There, it was O'Sullivans marrying O'Sullivans and Harringtons marrying Harringtons (although sometimes - as with my grandparents - O'Sullivans would marry Harringtons).

Tim

Colin Rowledge

So, Tim, I am not alone, eh?

Makes life fun.

Colin

MarkJ

20 January 1827 in St Newlyn East, James Trenerry married Ann Trenerry.

The odd thing about that particular marriage is that James was the illegitimate son of one of the many William Trenerrys in the area where he was born, and thus not practical to follow that tree back further on the Trenerry line. But I can follow Ann's Trenerry line easily!

I have a few other instances of people with the same surnames marrying - I expect it happened all over the place, but Cornwall tended to have a fairly limited range of surnames so this will happen

Colin Rowledge

I have found other instances of same surname marriages, but never to the extent that I mentioned in my original post.

Colin

deeree

My grandparents surnames were both WALLIS. One was from Cornwall and the other from London's east end. It's caused a lot of confusion in tracing the families.

Nicolina

I was at a wedding in the 1970's, Colin, where the same thing happened.
    Gracie P* married James P*
    their son Robert P* married Jean P*
    then it went even further. The Registrar who married Robert and Jean was also a P*!!!!!!!!!!
    none were related and I was the only one at the wedding who wasn't a P*.

both marriages took place in Scotland.

Colin Moretti

Some surnames can be very localised, occuring very frequently in just a small area. You can get some idea here:
    https://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/
    by entering the surname of your choice.

Even a name that we think of as very common (eg SMITH) has significant local variations, particularly in 1881.

Colin