Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mutley

Death Duty registers on FMP have a will 1848 of John Houghton of Bury St. Edmunds, executor Mary Houghton. Sorry, I cannot read the rest. The wills/administrations seem to start from 1848 but there are plenty of Houghtons in the couple of pages I looked at, though most appear to be from other places.

If you have a subscription it might be worth wading through them all. At the moment a will seems about the only likely place you will get any hints.

Mutley

While googling I found
    we have been here before ~~sigh~~

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for.../t-74552.html?

It is not a good idea to start two threads on the same person. We have spent some time finding the information that you have already previously been given.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you Coromandel for all your help. Yes, I do have a lot of that information but you have found some that I can look into further.

This is the the first time I have come across a middle name and Lease & Seales do not mean anything to me.

Yes, I think I am now going to have to buy that Marrige Certificate. This is starting to become an expensive family! I have already had a Researcher checking the Haverhill and Bury St Edmunds records for me looking for baptisms.

The Webb family papers sound interesting but am not sure if I am able to get to Bury St Edmunds to look at them.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by maureenann View Post
    Lease & Seales do not mean anything to me.
    Maybe you should re-read your earlier thread. I see you have found the marriage of an Edmund Houghton & Elizabeth Lease in Bury St Edmunds. I would think it now looks very likely that this is the correct one.

Perhaps following up the 'Lease' connection will prove fruitful? Unfortunately it's a tricky name to search for, as you get lots of search results about property leases.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Maybe you should re-read your earlier thread. I see you have found the marriage of an Edmund Houghton & Elizabeth Lease in Bury St Edmunds. I would think it now looks very likely that this is the correct one.

Perhaps following up the 'Lease' connection will prove fruitful? Unfortunately it's a tricky name to search for, as you get lots of search results about property leases.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I seemed to have had a mental block with the name LEASE. Of course it was Edmund's first wife's name. I will look further into that.

Mutley,

My apologies for starting a new thread. As I was specifically looking for a Clergyman and I did not know if he was connected to the family it seemed the right think to do. With all the extra information that everybody has kindly found for me I now know that he
    must be my 4 x Great-Grandfather.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by maureenann View Post
    Mutley,

My apologies for starting a new thread. As I was specifically looking for a Clergyman and I did not know if he was connected to the family it seemed the right think to do. With all the extra information that everybody has kindly found for me I now know that he
    must be my 4 x Great-Grandfather.
    Problem is, that in order for members to find THE clergyman they had to research the family for you.
    Posters would not like it if BG members grabbed any old stuff from anywhere without trying to join the dots.
    They are very diligent and do their best by putting a lot of effort into answering a question.

Please continue to ask your questions, we are happy to help as best we can but bear in mind that help is two sided, you must tell us, or link us to information you have to save duplication of effort.

Good Luck in your research and when you can manage to get the certificate we would be interested to know the result.
    This thread can always be added to whenever you find further new information or have more questions to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Problem is, that in order for members to find THE clergyman they had to research the family for you.
    Posters would not like it if BG members grabbed any old stuff from anywhere without trying to join the dots.
    They are very diligent and do their best by putting a lot of effort into answering a question.

Please continue to ask your questions, we are happy to help as best we can but bear in mind that help is two sided, you must tell us, or link us to information you have to save duplication of effort.

Good Luck in your research and when you can manage to get the certificate we would be interested to know the result.
    This thread can always be added to whenever you find further new information or have more questions to ask.
    I have now received a copy of the Marriage Certificate. It took place in Earl Stonham. Edmund Houghton was of full age and was a Widower, residing in Stoneham Aspel. His occupation was Draper and Father was Edmund Houghton a Cabinet Maker. It makes no mention as to whether he was deceased or not.
    The marriage was by License.

There must be a connection to my Caleb but what is it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12