Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Rev Edmund HOUGHTON

Can anyone help me find the Rev Edmund Houghton. I do not know whether he was Church of England or
    Non Conformist. He had a son also named Edmund, a Draper in Bildestone, Suffolk who on the 1841 census is given an age of 25 and is said to have been born in Suffolk.

In 1857 there was a reference to him being the late Rev Edmund Houghton of Haverhill.

I have searched the Surman Index (Congregational) and the C of E database but can find no mention of him.

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but has anyone come across him or suggest where I can look.

malcolm99

An Edmund Houghton was buried at St Mary's Haverhill on 15th May 1829. He was 51 years old. There's no clue as to whether he was a clergyman.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    An Edmund Houghton was buried at St Mary's Haverhill on 15th May 1829. He was 51 years old. There's no clue as to whether he was a clergyman.
    Thank you Malcolm. I know about that Edmund but he was a Cabinet Maker.

Mutley

Is this the marriage of your Edmund?
    02 Jul 1807 Edmund Houghton w. of St. Mary's in Bury & Harriet Moyse s. of this P.
    (Source: Suffolk: Horringer - Parish Registers With Appendices and Biographical Notes, 1558-1850 and also Pallots)

Mutley

I believe that Caleb was one of their sons. He seemingly moved to Billericay as a Draper.
    Harriet as a widowed mother is living with the family in 1851.
    HO107/1774 F291 P10

I imagine you have all the census for the family and I think Caleb named his eldest son Edmund John.
    If this was after Caleb's father, is it possible that your Edmund had the same name and sometimes used John instead of Edmund?

Mutley

Was Jabez also one of the sons, he was a cabinet maker/carpenter in the census.

Is it possible your Edmund was a preacher and Reverend was a title given/used but was not his main occupation?

Mutley, yes all that you quote in #3, 4 & 5 are my family.

I have Caleb and brother Joshua giving their Father as John, Cabinet Maker and sister Harriet saying he is Edmund, Cabinet Maker.
    After searches of Haverhill and Bury St Edmunds where there were children born, I have been unable to find baptisms for any of them to see what name is given. All the evidence I have points to it being an Edmund.

The Edmund, that Caleb was with in 1841. was quoted as being the son of the Rev Edmund Houghton and I was trying to find if there was a family connection. It may be that they are brothers and this Edmund is their father or there may be some other family link. But proving it seems impossible.

I too, am now wondering whether Edmund was as you say, a preacher but not his main occupation and this is why I can find no reference to him.

Coromandel

Hello maureenann

I can't answer your question, I'm afraid. Instead I've been picking around the edges to see if there's a loose thread that will unravel and lead somewhere useful.

Presumably this is the 1857 reference you mention - a marriage announcement from the Bury & Norwich Post of 22 Dec 1857:

'Lately, at Hadleigh, Mr. John Jarman, sen.,
    Bildeston, to Mrs. Mary Houghton, widow of Mr.
    Edmund Houghton, late of Middleton, and daughter-
    in-law of the late Rev. Edmund Houghton, of Haverhill.'

Looking for other references to Houghtons of Middleton, I found a later marriage, this time from the Bury & Norfolk Post of 1 Nov 1870:

'On the 18th ult., at South Pickenham, Norfolk, JAMES,
    eldest son of Mr. G. CHAPMAN, of the above place, to
    MIRIAM ETHERLANDA, only daughter of the late Mr. E.
    LEASE HOUGHTON, of Middleton, Yoxford, Suffolk.'

FamilySearch (calling her Mirian Ellenlanda Houghton) has some details of the marriage. It gives her father's name as Edmund Seales Houghton. So now we have two versions of his middle name: Lease and Seales. It would be interesting to see what it actually said in the register. (Have you come across the name Lease/Seales in connection with the Houghtons before?)

Miriam E. Chapman (aged 27) can be found with her husband James (a journeyman carpenter) in Swaffham in 1871 (RG 10/1869, f.175, p.24). Her birth place is given as 'Suffolk: Aspal, Stoneham'.

Her death at Santon Downham 'after a long and painful affliction' was announced in the Bury & Norwich Post of 7 July 1885. She was described as 'wife of James Chapman, and only daughter of the late Edmund Houghton, grocer and draper, late of Middleton, Suffolk.'

I think Miriam, aged 7, appears in East Stonham in 1851, with grandfather Thomas Bendell, Thomas' son Richard (a blacksmith, like his father), and Thomas' daughter Mary Houghton (28, housekeeper). Mary's marital status is obscured by a check mark, but I think says 'W' (HO 107/1797, f.456, p.11; surname transcribed on FMP as Haughton).

So Miriam's parents are probably Edmund Houghton and Mary Bendell. An Edmund Houghton married in Q2 1840 in the Bosmere district - and there's a Mary Bendall on the same page. So we'd expect them to be married by the 1841 census. Indeed the chap you mention in post #1 as a draper in Bildeston in 1841 (in fact shown as Edward Howton) does have a Mary with him, as well as Caleb.

Do you have the marriage certificate for Edmund Houghton and Mary Bendell/Bendall? What does it say about the father's name and occupation?

Apologies if you know all this already!

Coromandel

Try a search on Access to Archives (A2A) for the term Haverhill. Among the papers of the Webb family (Suffolk R.O. ref. HA 553) are some notes which may be of use in your research. For example:

HA 553/1 a pocket book kept by Barnabas Webb, which 'consists in the main of chronological entries of deaths/burials, becoming detailed from 1784. Haverhill and surrounding area but also elsewhere in the country and abroad. Mostly of individuals but also mentioning deaths resulting from military engagements and natural disasters. All levels of society, from labourer to emperor. The information is taken from newspapers and elsewhere, supplemented by hearsay and occasionally personal observation. The manner of death is often described. Ages are usually given. Most years begin with personal reflections upon mortality. 1760-1812. Also includes [modern numbering of pages]: pp 157-163, 165, 199-206 Births/baptisms of Protestant Dissenters of Haverhill 1737-1811; p 186 Members of Haverhill Meeting 1739-1793; pp 129-157, 207-214 Marriages in Haverhill and surrounding area, also London; many with comments 1754-1812; p 187 Members of Haverhill 'Establishment' [parish church] 1785-1816; p 29 List of incumbents of Haverhill [parish church] 1670-1815;

HA 553/8, a 'volume written from both ends', by John Webb. It includes 'general musings on mortality and particular musings occasioned by individual tombs' in Haverhill churchyard.

You'd need to go to the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office to see them.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Miriam's parents are probably Edmund Houghton and Mary Bendell. An Edmund Houghton married in Q2 1840 in the Bosmere district - and there's a Mary Bendall on the same page.
    According to FamilySearch, Edmund Houghton married Mary Bendale at Earl Stonham, Suffolk, on 3 June 1840. There should be more details in the original register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast