aeracura

Default Hughes of Great Gidding

Hi,

I've come to a brick wall... My 5th Great Grandfather William Hughes. He married Alice Freeman in Great Gidding in 1792 and had a number of children, one being William Junior who was my first ancestor in Australia (shipped for as one of the Swing Rioters). I'm wanting to know if anyone has access to the parish records and could do a look up for me to see who William Seniors parents might be... I have his birthdate as 1768. His wife Alice was born in 1771 in Great Gidding. Any further information would be greatly appreciated

~ Jo

davidcarca

Great Gidding baptisms are extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org . Whilst Alice's baptism is there, there are no Hughes baptisms earlier than 1792. Nor are there any marriages earlier than 1792, and the first Hughes burial isn't until 1795 (William - there's no indication that he was an infant so it's possible he was an adult. You'd need to consult the parish register microfilm to see if there's any further detail). There's a William Hughes burial, age 77, in Gt Gidding on 24 Apr 1845, but I can't find him in the 1841 census to see if he was born in Hunts, or not.

He was otp on marriage, but that only means he was resident in Gt Gidding at the time of his marriage, not necessarily that he was born there. It looks very possible that he wasn't born in Gt Gidding. But if not, where?

Still looking for him in 1841

aeracura

Thank you David, I'm going to look in some of the surrounding villages... I know Sawtry has been mentioned...

davidcarca

There are only four Hughes marriages in Hunts in the period 1754 to 1782:
    1755 Gt Staughton Thomas m Mary Fitzpatrick
    1757 Winwick John m Ann Bucknell
    1757 Winwick Samuel m Sarah Thredgold
    1766 Grafham John m Elizabeth Slow

Winwick is only a mile from Gt Giddding, so that's where I'd start. Winwick has been extracted onto the IGI though, but I can't see a William Hughes.

David