tomdocherty72

Default RAF trainees at Gunter Field, Alabama

I am hoping to make contact with anyone who carried out basic flying training at Gunter Field in Alabama in WW2 with the 84th, 85th and 86th Schools Squadrons. The school operated Vultee Valiants and North American Texans (Harvards) from here and also interested in trainees at Lakeland Army Air Field (AAF). Particularly interested in RAF pilots trained here and US military and civilian instructors at the base.

Starting to feel at home

Hi there. I believe my late Father-in-Law, who trained as a pilot through the Arnold Scheme, was at Gunter Field in July 1942. He was also at Turners Field, and Lakeland.

tomdocherty72

Default Gunter Field

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieLou View Post
    Hi there. I believe my late Father-in-Law, who trained as a pilot through the Arnold Scheme, was at Gunter Field in July 1942. He was also at Turners Field, and Lakeland.
    Hello DebbieLou,

Thank you for replying to my request for information. I would be most grateful for any information or photos you may have that would help me. If you have anything please send me a private message to my inbox and I will provide you with my email address to send information to.

Yours

Tom

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, my father G A J Wood DFC, AFC trained at Turner Field 01 Jun 42, Lakeland 05 Jul 42, Gunter Field 06 Sep 42 and Turner again on 11 Nov 42. He flew a full tour on 576 Sqn at Elsham Wolds