robsnicta

Default Help Deciphering a Silver War Badge Record

My grandfather William Irving Bird served in the 1st Battalion (21st Division) of the Lincolnshire Regiment during WW1. All I can gather was that he was an infantry man when he was wounded and invalided out. Could someone please help decipher what following info from the UK Silver War Badge records means please? I would like to know which battle he was in when he received his wounds, which country and the year:

Private William Irving Bird
    Served between 29/9/16 - 5/7/19
    Lincoln Regiment (lichfield - infantry)
    Badge No. B/245786
    Was abroad when wounds received
    Regimental number: 49588

Under cause of discharge:
    Wounds 392 (XV1a) 20

SWB record is available on A******.

I am also having difficulty finding his service record, so if someone could help with this I would be most grateful. All I know is that he enlisted with the 4th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment in November 1915, then allocated the the 2/4th battalion (59th Division). Serving in Ireland from April 1916 - Jan 1917 before going to France.

Thanks
    Robsnicta

Reputation beyond repute

Wounds 392 (XV1a) 20
    KR 392 (xvia): Surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)

he enlisted with the 4th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment in November 1915, then allocated the the 2/4th battalion (59th Division). Serving in Ireland from April 1916 - Jan 1917 before going to France.
    Where did you find that information, please? It doesn't tie up with the SWB record.

robsnicta

Hi thanks for looking into this for me. Someone on BG forum gave me those details to me. How do they differ to the SWB record and and what does it say about with whom and where he served to you? All I could gather from him was that he got a shrapnel would.

I would be grateful for any info.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta View Post
    Someone on BG forum gave me those details to me.
    Or perhaps it was the Western Front Association forum?

https://
    frontforum.westernfrontassociation.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1762

https://
    frontforum.westernfrontassociation.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1764

Reputation beyond repute

How do they differ from the SWB record
    Well, the enlistment date is different for a start.

robsnicta

Oops sorry about that I thought the info came from BG but obviously not, must admit it was sometime ago so can't quite remember. From him SWB record it shows he enlisted on 29/9/12 and was discharged on the 5/7/19. I know they started to disband them in May of 1919. I can't find his service record anywhere so it must have been one of the ones destroyed in the WW2 blitz.

I can't decipher from the SWB record which battalion he was in and where he was serving when he sustained his wound. All I can tell is that he was abroad at the time.

Thanks

leamington

Without a service record, it wil be necessary to consult the roll of the British War and Victory Medals in order to determine his battalion(s) once overseas. This is not available online: it is held as an original document at the National Archives in Kew. He appears on page 2390 of roll F/105B17.