Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Norfolk & Kent Parish Records - Family Search

From the Bishop's Transcripts for Tottenhill, Norfolk (Archdeanery of Norfolk)
    (1759-60 image 415 of 464)

The number of persons of both sexes, in ye parish of Tottenhill, sixteen years old, and upward, is 81. viz
    men 35
    women 46
    total 81.
    No Popish recusants.
    No Protestant Dissentors.

https://
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-50008-55?cc=1823613&wc=9020178

Pam

sueannbowen

Hi Pam,

I might have missed a previous discussion on this and if so apologies, but how did you get to that image on Familysearch? I tried to log into something similar a few weeks ago, the system asked me to register etc. but then nothing was returned. Cannot remember what the reason was now. That seems to be a part of Familysearch I have overlooked.

Reputation beyond repute

how did you get to that image on Familysearch?

Pam will have a slicker method but I would start from

https://
    familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

Reputation beyond repute

No Popish recusants.
    No Protestant Dissentors.
    Do you think they stuck that notice in the window of lodging houses?

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Do you think they stuck that notice in the window of lodging houses?
    nice one!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Sue,
    Not being intelligent like Peter I go the long way round.
    I start off on the home page https://www.familysearch.org/ scroll down to 'browse by locations' and click 'United Kingdom and Ireland'.
    That takes you to the page Peter has listed. (I've just bookmarked it actually, as it will save a click!)
    Then scroll down the page till you see a database you fancy.
    Enter a name and start searching.

Some tips:
    When you click on a database make sure that you scroll down the initial page. Norfolk parish registers for example has a 'browse images' section at the top which means you browse transcribed entries (like the old IGI) , but if you scroll down a bit there's another 'browse images' which is the link to images of the PRs.
    When you're looking through images, to save looking at literally every image think of the year the event might have happened; check the number of images. And then do the maths as which image to start looking. e.g. You know someone was born in 1850. The baptism PR goes from 1830-1860 - 30 years (possibly 31 if you want to be pedantic as it's inclusive) and there are 45 images. That's an average of one and a half images per year. Times by 20 (number of years between1830 and 1850) equals 30, so start looking on image 30, and then forward or back as necessary.

If you're searching the transcribed entries for someone with a fairly common name then select 'residence' and enter at least the county name in full, followed by England/Wales etc as appropriate. Ditto if you enter the name of the town; follow it with the county name in full, and the country.

If you specifically mean how to search the Norfolk BTs and ATs images, then ask again.

Pam

sueannbowen

Hi Pam,

Sorry to be a while coming back but I wanted to follow this through step by step and I have not been around this week. I did exactly as you said, and it worked. When I tried the same thing for Kent it tells me how many images are available, but when you click on a set of records it says image not available. I thought it might be my PC setting or something until I followed your distructions which worked perfectly. So, I am guessing there is something wrong with the Kent images on the main site.

Thanks all the same as I am hoping it will still work for other places.

Reputation beyond repute

Apparently the Kent images are only available to view in Mormon Family History Centres.

Medway Archives' collection of PRs is online. Canterbury Cathedral Archives' (East Kent) collection is going onto findmypast. I haven't heard any announcement about Maidstone's collection (rest of Kent).

Reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard any announcement about Maidstone's collection (rest of Kent).
    Correction (from the Kent CC web site):

Kent History Source

In partnership with Rochester Diocese and Family Search many of the parish records for the Rochester Diocese area have been digitised and are available online in the Kent History and Library Centre. This will eventually be made available in all libraries in Kent.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Apparently the Kent images are only available to view in Mormon Family History Centres.

Medway Archives' collection of PRs is online. Canterbury Cathedral Archives' (East Kent) collection is going onto findmypast. I haven't heard any announcement about Maidstone's collection (rest of Kent).
    Thanks Peter that explains it at least it is not my firewall or something odd. The Canterbury Cathedral Archive is now on FMP, but it is a real pain to use. The images take forever to load and have to be loaded page by page, but, worse than that there are a lot of duplications in each set of records . At first I though I was clicking on the same page number (being dyslexic of finger) and unfortunately the search page doesn't indicate which pages you have already accessed. However, once I started to write the page numbers down as I loaded them it became obvious that they were duplicated. I have a subscription so it didn't cost me anything but if you don't have that it costs one credit per image. What a rip off.

We might want one of our Mods to move this bit to the Kent page as it has drifted away from Norfolk a bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast