lawsue

Default Bernard Mcquade convict "Roslin Castle'

I hope someone may help with this enquiry. Bernard Mcquade, I might add is not at all related to me, however what I am after is why he was sentenced to transportion to NSW in 1834. He was a felon of the enth degree as he was found guilty of the assault of 3 small girls in the Maitland region of NSW in 1846. One of those little girls was my grandmother removed a few times. He served 2 years hard labour for those crimes. I cannot find anything on him apart from the fact that he was sentenced in Lancaster/ Liverpool Quarter Sessions and shipped out on the "Roslin Castle" on 22 May 1834 arriving in NSW on 22 Jan 1835. I can find no death on NSW BDM's as well. He also commited numerous other crimes whilst serving his sentence. I have searched for convict records on him, here, but they may have been lost through time or I have been looking in the wrong place. If anyone has access to the court records of that time I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Apparently convicted of stealing Meat!
    Sentenced to 7 years.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

spison

Hi Sue,

Bernard sounds a perfect candidate to have assumed a new name at some stage in his life. The Maitland crime was as heinous then as it is now. Have you found him after his release from gaol ('cause I can't)? Have you been able to view the gaol entrance and discharge registers? After his release he may have disappeared into the gold seekers and could have ended up anywhere! All I can suggest would be some of the more obscure records such as the Colonial Secretary's Correspondence. The indexes are on fiche at Kingswood - you might find something.

Good luck. Let us know how you have gone!

Jane

lawsue

Thank you, Waitabit & Spison,
    I don't really think I care to know what happened to him after the fact, however I was just a bit curiious to know what he did to deserve s second chance in Australia. Another sad part about all this is the little girls lost their mother to cancer when they were quite young and she had had a similar experience with a couple of bushrangers. I'm sure, Spison, knowing lots of Hunter Region history that you would have come across the family on more than one occassion. Mary Hart Garven, one of those little girls, was my gggrandmother, her mother being the sister of the Brown brothers, James and Alexander (coal & shipping)and her father was a Presbyterian minister in Maitland, but not for long, he liked a bit of a tipple apparently. However I did find a Bernard Mcquade death on BDM reg at Wickham 1929 son of Bernard and Catherine. Possibly his son.........
    Thanks for your help and I may take your advice and follow up..but not until I come to grips with his behaviour.
    Sue

spison

Hi Sue,
    I know the J. & A. Brown Brothers well. My ancestor was also Alexander Brown and at one stage they were in the picture for my family - but it was not to be - wrong county. I will see if anything can be found on the Bernard Mcquade death in 1929 in NFHS (but not until November at the earliest) and the Newcastle papers should be on TROVE within the next twelve months so you may discover something there. You could also try the Police Gazettes - they're on disk and a search should turn him up if he's there - I'd search for both Bernard M and Mcquade. I completely understand you not wanting to know.

Jane

cmcquade

Post bernard mcquade

There were several Bernard Mcquades on the same ship. I think you may have them crossed in what each of them did to arrive in Australia. The same ship made several trips arriving at different dates.