Tinker

Default Background reading: 1900s to 1930s?

I have recently read several crime novels (by different authors) set between the turn of the century and the 1930s, which included some interesting background on various issues, e.g the introduction of contraception for women, women in the police and military forces, etc, and of course, the Suffragette movement. I am wondering if anyone can recommend non-fiction books that will expand on what other sorts of social changes were happening over this time period. I'd like to find out more about how life was for ordinary folk coping with a world and social order changed by WWI, rather than just about the 'servant' issue which occupied the wealthier classes.

Reputation beyond repute

Working backwards in time. try Juliet Gardiner; The Thirties: An Intimate History; HarperCollins. London, 2009.

Also see here: https://www.parishchest.com/DIRECTORIES__LDD1683

Tinker

Thanks, Peter, I've made a note of that. I've just been skimming through the BBC Timeline, and looking at the events of 1936, it's the Jarrow March my Geordie mum remembers being told about most vividly (she was born in March of that year), not the death of King George V, or the abdication of Edward VIII which both took place in the same year. It just shows you what was most important to families in the north east affected by mass unemployment and poverty!

Tinker

Collected the book in hardback version from our local library this morning. It's the size of a blockbuster: 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Hawaii' spring to mind (showing my age, here) so not something you'd pack in your suitcase for a light read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Collected the book in hardback version from our local library this morning. It's the size of a blockbuster: 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Hawaii' spring to mind (showing my age, here) so not something you'd pack in your suitcase for a light read!!!
    I agree with your comment

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have a look at the National Archives bookshop and see if they have anything that catches your eye:
    https://bookshop.nationalarchives.gov.uk/