olcodger

Cool Look up for Dow family in London.

I am looking for Eliza Dow in the 1851 Census for London. She was reputedly born in 1831 in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire the daughter of James Dow (c 1792 Gloucestershire -1832 Stroud) a Saddle and Harness-maker and his wife Ann nee Shears. (c1798 Stonehouse-1843 Amberley, Glos). Eliza, a pauper, was Examined by the Stroud Gloucestershire Overseers of the Poor on the 6th March 1846, who found that although she had been born and lived in the County for 15 years she '…. Has come to inhabit, and is now inhabiting in the said Parish of Stroud not having gained a legal Settlement there, nor/ having produced any Certificate acknowledging her to be settled elsewhere, and that/ she is now actually chargeable to the said Parish..'
    Further evidence suggested that James Dow ' belonged to the Parish of St Mary Woolnorth in the City of London..' The decision was taken that 'the place of the last legal Settlement of the said /*** Eliza Dow* / is in the said Parish of Saint Mary Woolnorth,(sic) / in the City of London. '
    The removal order was sent the 8th March and gave the Overseers of the Poor of St Mary Woolnoth's 21 days to respond. Finally the Order notes that 'Removed Eliza Dow to/ Saint Mary Woolnoth/ London/ Monday March 30th 1846/and left her with/ John Chappell/ Overseer.'

Please can anyone help me find Eliza assuming she was either still alive and/or unmarried. In addition I am looking for any information about her father and grandparents. Family stories say the family came from Norfolk and there are many Dow families in East Anglia. James claims to have been born in Gloucestershire yet, when out of work, he travels to St Mary's in London, arranges for relief to be sent to his family (which continued for 2 years whilst he was alive and afterwards for his wife and crippled son). Any help in resolving where the family were domiciled would be really appreciated.
    Malcolm J

Nicolina

have you found her brothers in the 1851 Census? Could she be living with one of them?

Mutley

I cannot find her yet.
    She is not with James, he is with Dinah Turner who he later seems to have married.
    She is not with Cornelius, he was transported for 17 years in 1844.
    She is not with Thomas, he lives alone.

Do you have her in later census, did she marry?

Knowledgeable and helpful

RG 9; Piece: 152; Folio: 142; Page: 31
    1861 Eliza Hutton & Husband John ( married St Dunstan's Stepney 21 Aug 1851)
    with her father James Dow age 83
    her place of birth is Clerkenwell 1821, so it could be a different Eliza with father James but worth having a look at?
    James is a retired watchmaker so it looks like it is a different family - but an interesting co-incidence.
    Last edited by lesleys; 25-09-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: addition

olcodger

Hello Lesleys. Thank you for taking the time to look up the information but I am afraid it does not seem to be my Eliza. It is fairly certain that Eliza was born in the Minchinhampton Parish, Gloucestershire c1831 and rather harshly I think sent 100 miles away to London as a 15 year old girl. It is interesting that there are Dow family members in the immediate area and perhaps they could be related but not certain how to obtain information to prove that apart from through the registers of St. Mary. W if they still exist
    Is there any way to find out? Best Wishes Malcolm

olcodger

Hello Nicolina and Mutley, First thank you for taking the trouble to correspond and second I started the reply but do not think it made it to the 'board' so here goes again. I know about the three brothers and hope you will forgive me for filling in their background information.. James , my GGF did indeed marry Dinah (nee Leitham) and had 4 children. Cornelius Grey was the 'bad boy ' of the family. he stole 2 chickens to try and obtain money to keep the family together after their parents both died. As it was a second offence he ended up on the Hulks and then transported to the then Van Diemens Land for 7 years. Subsequently released, he married 3 times, settled down in Queensland and his numerous Descendants supplied me with his full history. Thomas, sadly a cripple, was maintained by a monthly payment from the Overseers of St Mary W. paid via the Vicar of Amberley, Glos. directly to him. He did not marry. A tough struggling family who through the later emigration of some of their descendants produced 3 millionaires and many well settled members in Canada and Australia.
    All of which still leaves me with the difficulty of finding poor Eliza. She was just 15 when sent to St. Mary W. I do not know if there are any Parish Registers of B.M. & D. or the Overseers reports available for that Parish, where they might be located, and if so how accessible. Travel from Devon to London is difficult for me at present so would appreciate any help please in finding the info via the net. Best wishes, Malcolm.

olcodger

Several years down the line the OZ section of the family have found Eliza Renshall nee Dow. She was sent to Australia presumably from a workhouse (such as Marylebone which sent out many young women during that period), married in NSW in 1849 she later met her brother who worked in Gawler, settled there but sadly fell out with him. She and her husband had a large family and a very hard life but left many descendants. Thanks to all of you for your help I thought you might be interested in the results of a long and finally successful search. Now I need to find her grandfather in London!! Malcolm J.
    Last edited by olcodger; 02-10-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: mistake in typing date

Hello MalcomJ

Thank you so much for coming back and posting your findings. It is nice to hear the results of others searches and share in the success.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Nicolina

well done Malcolm. thanks for letting us know. It's really satisfying knocking down the dratted brickwalls.