Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    pippycat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Have just heard back from the library as follows: "there is no entry in our Coroners Index for 1890 under the name of GOLLY/GOLLEY. You may wish to look in the West Briton newspaper for 1890 and check for an item on him".
    Colin

Why would they refer you to that newspaper Colin if there was no mention of a John Golly in it? Or is it just something else to try?

Might be worth an email asking the Library if they know John is mentioned in the West Briton.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Why would they refer you to that newspaper Colin if there was no mention of a John Golly in it? Or is it just something else to try?

Might be worth an email asking the Library if they know John is mentioned in the West Briton.
    Good point.

Given theyear of his death [1890] and the GRO has his death registered in the Apr. Jun q. 1890, how soon after death would an inguest be held?

They confirm that they only checked editions for one week prior to and 2 weeks after his burial which was on 15 May 1890.

Still think I need the D.C to give an exact date of death

Colin

pippycat

Just trying to save you $ Colin! but I agree, cert is really the only way for the date of John's death.

I don't know about inquests, maybe they are all different depending on the circumstances?

Rebecca

Nicolina

I don't think that there is a set time for holding an inquest. I gave evidence at an inquest that was held about 6 weeks after the accident, whilst the inquest into the death of my friend's son was months after the event. Both of these events involved police investigations which may have delayed things.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

John Golley is on a sideways branch of my husband's tree, his son John born 1864 married Mary Truran. I have the following from a local newspaper at the time of John senior's sudden death:-

Lake's Falmouth Packet & Cornwall Advertiser Saturday 17 May 1890

"St Mawes. Sudden death. On Monday evening John Golley of Gerrans in the employ of Messrs Nicholls coal merchants of Portscatho was engaged in discharging a cargo of coal from the "Bretagne", a French lugger, consigned by the Porthcawl Coal Company, Falmouth. After finishing his toil, he asked for a drop of allowance whereupon the captain gave him a small quantity of brandy. He had no sooner drank it than he complained of a pain in the region of his heart and immediately dropped down dead."

You may already have found this, but hope it helps if not.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Colin has asked me to pass on his thanks for this information.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    Colin has asked me to pass on his thanks for this information.
    And I will now do so in my own way

Knowledgeable and helpful

A point about the registration of deaths following an inquest - they are listed at the end of all the other deaths for the quarter, so could be some time after the actual death and the inquest. A bit like the coroner was tidying up his files prior to the quarter's end. All the inquests for the quarter in a registration district come together, or at least they do in the Wiltshire registers I have indexed.pwholt

Colin Rowledge

See post #35. He was buried 15 May 1890. His widow, Mary, died in 1903 and was buried 14 June in Gerrans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234