Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Adrian
    Small note regarding Noah- see Synagogue Scribes Blog -Borough Synagogue and the online link to the History of the Borough Synagogue M Rosenbaum 1917......." Tradition has it that at one time the local Jewish residents repaired to the King's Bench Prison,in the Borough,for divine service, the unfortunate debtors incarcerated there helping to form the quorum necessary for public worship(Minyan), which the Jews of the Borough could not themselves muster.
    On these occasions a Mr Lewis (popularly known as "Captain" Lewis, grandfather of the late Sir George Lewis, the celebrated solicitor) used to preside at the Reading of the Law".

Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default Hesther Levi

In trying to map out the family of Moses Levi, I note that in the will of Benjamin Levi, (possibly) son of Moses Levi of Canterbury he lists as his brother in law Hyman Hurwitz. England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858. Probate 22 Oct 1818. Benjamin did move from Canterbury to Dover and then in 1804 left Dover, assuming that he went to London. He also refers to a Nephew Emanuel Levi who will continue on the business in Dover. Kentish Gazette 20 Jan 1804. Hyman married Hesther Levy in 1802 synagogue scribes GSM 072/01a. In Moses Levi's will he lists Hesther Levi as his daughter.

Adrian

Adrian
    I will look at these names.

As a reminder the JGSGB Library has 18 family trees and documents on the Lewis surname and 10 on the Levi surname. You can see the surname list on the JGSGB Library data base.

I have never been to the JGSGB but there may well be relevant documents researched by family members that can shed a light on Noah et al.
    My own research at the Society of Genealogists in London never included Lewis or Levi so I have no idea if there are relevant sources in the Anglo Jewish lines on your searches.

Phillip

Adrian
    #502 Levi/Hurwitz
    Apologies if we have looked at the 2 records but if not see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 148 Solomon GOMPERTZ 20 May 1791- his spouse is Elizabeth and he has niece Golda LEVY wife of Benjamin Levy of Canterbury; nephew Solomon Levy watchmaker of London.

See also NA 143 Elizabeth Gompertz 1839 sister is Golda Levy brother of Solomon Levy see the Notes on the relationships

Would be worth looking more closely at the Gompertz/Levy and the full wills on Ancestry.Com

See Synagogues Scribes Blog..Anglo Jewish Records of the Ashkenazi Community from the re admission in 1656 to the introduction of Civil Registration in 1837-Oct 31 2013.... see the section on Elizabeth Gompertz 1839 nee Levy and her brother Solomon and his children.

Phillip

Default Henry Levy Lewis Death

Have discovered a number of articles in the Royal Gazette of Jamaica that refer to Sophia L, Lewis taking over the business of her late husband Henry L Lewis and Benjamin Levi being the surviving co partner in Henry L Lewis & Co. The article that mentions Sophia recommencing the business of her late husband is dated Oct 10 1817. This means Henry died in 1816/17 and not 1831 as we first thought. The will was proved in London in 1831, seems as though it took some time to execute the will. The article also gives Sophia's address as King Street, Kingston

Adrian

Is anyone still researching this thread?

I very recently became aware of the Will of Alexander Isaacs [ died 1789 & mentioned above ]& noticed that a Witness was Daniel Daniel ; would anyone know if Alexander's sister Elizabeth Isaacs , married name Daniel & mentioned in Alexander's Will , was married to Daniel Daniel Witness to the Will.

I have Treinla bat Daniel - d.1813 as a GGrandmother x4 married to Israel Asher Enzla Isaacs 1735- 1838 & share DNA with a descendant of said Alexander; hoping that Treinla might be the daughter of Daniel Daniel & Elizabeth Isaacs though Daniel records appear to be few & far between.

Thankyou
    Catherine

The Alexander Isaacs Will is at 19/10/2012 Post 92 : See Synagogue Scribes NA 182 Alexander ISAAC
    -4 May 1789.
    He is the father of Zipporah Cohen nee Isaacs and the grandfather of Angelina Isaac (s)

His wife is Mary; siblings -Solomon and David ISAACS; sons-Andrew ( dead); George in London; Michael in Kingston Jamaica; Daughters-Jochabed wife of Jacob Jacobs and Zipporah wife of Hymen Cohen
    Grandchildren of his son Andrew and wife Elizabeth- Henry, Bell and Angelina Isaac Nb Elizabeth wife of Andrew is also his niece

Default Henry Levy Lewis Will

The will of Henry Lewis Levy is dated 1819 and was not proven until 1830. However there is an article in the Kentish Gazette in October 1817 where Sophia advises that the business of her late husband is being continued by herself. This suggests that the will was not written by Henry.Also strange that the will was not proven until 1930 and the codocil mentions his natural children who were not mentioned in the original will and also no reference to Andrew, Louis or Charles.

Error in my last post the will was proven in 1831

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast