Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Phillip, yes we have gone through the will of Eugene Brocheton and the will of Elizaebth Rose Wilmar Lewis. Unfortunately Elizabeth left no clues as to any children she may have had, so whether she did not have any or it has been covered up we don't know. I did find a Chancery case in I think 1875-6 for an Elizaebth Lewis who was charged with concealing the birth of a child. Shew was aquited, however I have not been able to get any further information on that case.

I think you are correct in your assumption of the Sephardic origins for Henry Levy Lewis and I think it makes sense that he had a previous wife before Sophia and that Charles Vallencey Lewis is from a previous marriage. On the fivenine web site they refer to a a Charles Vallencey who was in the 5th Regiment in the West Indies however I have not been able to find any information on him. There is a famous Charles Vallencey who was a General in Ireland but doesn't appear to fit.

I am not aware of the paid Jamaican Family History website, would be interested. Why I am interested in Sophia is that she has Levy in her name so I am working on the basis that this may provide a link to the other Lewis/Levy line. However Sophia is complicated.

Adrian

Adrian
    Edinburgh Gazette May 13 1828 Lt Charles Aymer Vallancey from the 74th Foot; 31 Jan 1804 London Gazette -Charles Vallancey Gent Ensign 96th Foot 31 Jan 1804. He is not the same General Charles Vallancey 1721-1812 who married Mary Virgin Vallancey ( don't know her maiden name). I have seen reference to General Vallancey's children- George;Rupert;Charles - this Charles died 1785 plus his daughters Lititia and Mary.

Is Charles Aylmer Vallancey a son of one of General Vallancey's sons?
    Can't discover any more on this individual but am looking. My interest is also in the Levy/ Lewis to see if they connect to my own lines via Levy specifically- they already link to my Jacobs via marriage as previously posted. Do they link to my Crawcour lines?
    Phillip

Adrian
    You can see reference to Charles Aymer Vallancey on Ancestry Com Family trees. His father was General Charles Vallancey and his mother Edith Plowman. The family trees show that General Vallancey was married 3 times. In addition, see London Marriages and Banns 1754-1921
    Marriage Charles Aymer Vallancey batchelor to Mary Ann Knapp Attwood- father George Attwood. Married 13 August 1828 St Mary Lambeth.
    Nb The family trees have Charles Aymer Vallancey b Dublin 1803- died India 1829

He is going to be a very young man if he was the same father of Charles Vallancey Lewis. The army lists via The London Gazette don't show any other Charles Vallancey based on my current searches and I have seen no record to place a Charles Vallancey in Jamaica. It is clear from the birth of Henry Levy Lewis who died in 1817 that Sophia was in Jamaica at that time or earlier.
    So, was Charles Aymer Vallancey posted to Jamaica and is he the father of Charles Vallancey Lewis? The surname Vallancey suggests a close relationship to the Vallancey but if so which ones.
    Phillip

Adrian
    The London Gazette 13 March 1810-96th Foot-Vallancey promoted to 5th West India Regiment

The London Gazette 3 Jan 1818 Captain Stephen Noel of 7 West India Regiment to be Captain, vice VALLENCEY deceased

The West India Regiment was based in Jamaica and I note on the Jamaica Family History website 2 references in 1817 to Vallancey surname in The Jamaica Almanac Army and Navy.

Does the London Gazette record of 1818 suggest that a Charles Vallancey ( there is no first name to indicate who he is) was stationed as Captain in the West India Company and died in 1818. However, how many Charles Vallancey were there in the British Army at this time- he can't be Charles Aymer because he was alive in 1828.

This is proving a puzzle- if Charles Vallancey Lewis was born in 1818/1819 to the Vallancey who died in 1818 then Sophia would have given birth but a relatively short time after the death of her son Henry Levy Lewis 1817 and whilst married to Henry Levy Lewis. Not impossible any of this but interesting relationships!
    Phillip

Adrian- see Monumental Inscriptions of the British West Indies from the earliest date, J H Lawrence-Archer, 1875 London: Chatto and Windus. This is an excellent book available online containing hundreds of monumental inscriptions- see P 218 The Strangers' Burial Ground Kingston Jamaica
    CHARLES VALLENCEY died 16 June 1814 aged 1 month and 2 weeks.
    Nb I can't see reference to Charles Vallancey - Captain but I may have missed him

Is this Charles Vallancey who died in 1814 his son and if so, who is his wife?
    Phillip

Phillip

Interesting finds. I notice a number of Ancestry public trees have a Charles Vallancey born in 1786 Ireland and died 1817/1818 in the West Indies. Son of George Preston Vallencey and Margaret England. It appears from the article you found that he is appointed to the 5th Regiment in 1810, possibly he goes to Jamaica at this point. On the Fivenine website it has

Baptism 1814 Jun 02 of Charles Vallancy, born 1814 May 06, son of Caroline Stube free person of colour by C. Vallancy, Esq. Baptised by Isaac Mann, Rector of Kingston (Anglican)
    Charles Vallancy, died 16th June 1814, aged 1 month & 2 weeks

You can also see orginal on the FamilySearch (Latter Day Saints) site.

As you point out difficult to piece together how Sophia could have children with Henry and a Charles? in such a short period. Given that Sophia lists herself as a widow in 1851 census and that Henry lists her as his wife in his will it suggests there was a marriage but when and where? most likely it is in Jamaica. I think getting the maiden name of Sophia would help. If she is a true sister to George, James, Louis and John then it should be Lewis. Did she get the name Levy Lewis from marriage to Henry? Is she a Levy as one web site suggests?

Adrian

Adrian
    We have both looked at the various sites including one which suggests that the Lewis line is directly related to CS Lewis. The website which suggests this link has Joseph Lewis brother of Samuel, James, George Coleman Hamilton; Mary Ann Lewis. In addition, this site further suggests that James and George were brought up by their step uncle Edward Henry Lewis and his wife Sarah Raphael and that Edward and Sarah had 3 children-Charles who they suggest married Sarah Levy; Louis; Catherine who married Keogh.
    I note that the mother of C S Lewis was a Hamilton but this potential link to one of the middle names of George Coleman Hamilton Lewis would need verification.
    George Coleman Hamilton Lewis confirmed his brother was James of 10 Ely Place in an Old Bailey Trial 1864. Sophia in her will also refers to James; George; Louis and Catherine as her siblings. We also have Noah Edward Lewis to be added to the relationships- is he Edward the step uncle. Importantly, all of Sophia's siblings have the surname Lewis not Levy and we know that Henry Levy Lewis was also known as Lewis Levy.
    If Sophia's siblings really are James; Louis; George; Catherine and if the suggestion on the CS Lewis site is accurate then there may well be a mixing of 'real siblings' and 'adopted siblings'- I am beginning to suspect that this may be the case. There may well have been a blurring of the original relationships which may have led to the later confusion regarding the relationships.
    It may also be the case that Sophia and Henry were first cousins or at the least closely related.
    By the way, what data have you got on Edward Rayner ( is his last name Lewis) ?

I am also wondering if the name Charles Vallancey Lewis was given purely because Charles Vallancey was a close friend of Henry and Sophia.

A lot to consider.
    Phillip

Adrian
    Synagogue Scribes-GSM 259/22 Marriage- James Graham Lewis ( Hebrew name Moshe -father Priv Member) 11 March 1829 -father's Hebrew name Nachum. Spouse Harriet Davis
    The Hebrew alternative name/spelling of Nachum is Nahum. Noah is a different derivation but that is not to say that Noah is the 'adopted/Anglicised' name for James' father.

So, if the CS Lewis site is correct then Noah Edward Lewis is the step uncle of James and the others as I currently understand it and not his real father.
    Phillip

Adrian
    I have re-looked at the Synagogue Scribes Record of Probate for Henry Levy otherwise Levi Lewis NA 560 and compared the data to the full will of Henry Levy died 1831. Of particular note is the reference in the will to "make free" Henry's "Natural children" William, Emma and John. I have then looked at the Ancestry Com records- ' Slave Registers of former British Colonial Dependencies 1812-1834 and noted the 26 slaves owned by Sophia Levi Lewis between 1817-1826 the eldest born in 1780. It is now very clear that both Sophia and Henry were slave owners in Jamaica and it appears that Henry had at least 3 named children whose mother (s) were slaves. There are a range of records for Henry Levy but I have yet to identify if he is the same Henry Levy otherwise Levi Lewis.
    Phillip

Phillip

I think it is quite plausible that siblings or supposed siblings may not understand their origins, however I would expect the parents to be clearer about who their chlidren are. So I can accept that Louis, Catherine, George, James, Sophia etc may be confused about who is a brother/sister and who is not. However in the case of Noah in the articles for James 1824 he clearly states that James is his son. A possiblitiy is that perhasp Noah went to prison for some time and during this period a step uncle did raise James and George?

Sophia in the articels for Charles Vallencey 1833 and her will states that Charles is her son however I cannot explain how Catherine MacIntrye fits in with Charles being her brother and Sophia being her Mother in Law. Perhaps Catherine has just assumed he is a brother. And then there is John Lewis who I have not heard of until you discovered his will. None of the other researchers mention him at all

In terms of the slave registers I note that in most cases Sophia is the slave owner but in 1820 Louis Lewis completes the return as attorney for Sophia suggesting Louis was in Jamaica earlier than I first thought as the earliest slave ownership entry I found for him was 1832 and his marriage to Flora in 1830.

Adrian

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast