Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peach

David_H

I think the procedure is too complicated

Thanks all the same

Maybe kind Mutley you should clean up this thread by, for example deleting yesterday's failed attempts - or alternatively it might be a useful link for anyone else in the future who is brash enough as to want to include pictures in their posting.
    Technical information: my original image was 1016 x 137, I reduced this to 300 x 40 on photobucket, however I noticed a perceptable (but very very slight) reduction of quality, so I went back to my original and on my pc using software called "Microsoft Picture IT" I reduced the original (of course a copy of the original) to 300 x 40 and this is what is displayed here.

Procat

Posts deleted as requested.

David_H

The Officiating Minister was probably hard pushed in Ashby de la Zouch with the foreign names of the Prisoners of War who came in to be married. This is what the vicar or cleric wrote at the top of the Parish Record Marriage of AJH.

There is something very strange about the way that Hoffmann is written. But it is perhaps explained by the 1841 Census of Measham that attributes the surname "Offman" to the second son of AJH. With that in mind, if you look again at the image above you can imagine that the Vicar originally wrote "Offman" but after AJH had signed his name, the vicar added the H at the beginning, and if you look very carefully, that last n is out of line with the previous letters.

But the important thing is that index of marriages will record the name as the vicar wrote it - Hoffmann with two "n"s.

David_H

As a consequence of a visit to Derbyshire Records Office (in Matlock) last Wednesday, the website of the Peach family of Stapenhill has been updated._ They are evidently one family._ They are not related to me, but if anyone reading this post is interested in that Derbyshire family then there is some information to be found at
    https://www.h1932.com/Peach/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123