Eshowian

Default Have medal and Regiment - need battallion?

Hi all!
    I'm researching one Walter William Collins. I have his service
    medals, and saw his medal roll card. On the medal it says 38798 pte Collins Hampshire Reg. On the card it shows 38798 Hants Reg, and below it 86920 Durham Light Infantry. Below that is written 01/1/103B28 pge 5531. That is all. Can I find from this info which Battalion, so that I can trace where he was during the war? Any help greatly appreciated. I've searched so many sites that I am now starting to hit the keyboard quite hard!
    Thanks!
    Shelley

Reputation beyond repute

You can use the reference on the medal roll index card (The National Archives;WO 372) to search the actual medal roll (ibid WO 329). This should tell you the battalion which will allow you to locate the appropriate war diaries.

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=7

Somewhere in the National Archives website, there used to be detailed instructions on how to use the index reference but they keep tinkering with the website and I can't find it at the moment. There will be detailed advice available on site.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You can use the reference on the medal roll index card (The National Archives;WO 372) to search the actual medal roll (ibid WO 329). This should tell you the battalion which will allow you to locate the appropriate war diaries.

See https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...accessmethod=7

Somewhere in the National Archives website, there used to be detailed instructions on how to use the index reference but they keep tinkering with the website and I can't find it at the moment. There will be detailed advice available on site.
    My record taken from the medal records show Walter William Collins 11th Hampshire, 15th Hampshire and 1/5th DLI discharged as Class "Z". regards David

During WW1, soldiers were moved around the regiments and battalions, depending on the need.

The messages you replied to were written when online resources were not so informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    During WW1, soldiers were moved around the regiments and battalions, depending on the need.

The messages you replied to were written when online resources were not so informative.
    Hi, yes, my GGF 2/5 Sherwoods, 13th and 10th DLI. I have a data base of over 29000 men of the DLI and building. A lot of these records include enlistment, discharge and embarcation information

I hope to include all those that served, some 60000

Regards

David