Thread: Edward Gormley

stevenwright02

Default Edward Gormley

My wife’s (Irish) GGGrandfather Edward Gormley is proving to be quite illusive.

What is known is that he married Bridget Mahon on 23rd January 1893 in Ireland. We have a copy of the marriage certificate which lists them both as full age and the fathers as James Gormley and Bartholomew Mahon.
    https://www.igp-web.com/longford/killmar_g.htm

We have tried finding census entries for James and Edward Gormley and their family, and found a possible in 1880 US Census which shows lists parents both being born in Ireland and then suggests they moved to America as their children were born in Pennsylvania.

James Gormly 52
    Ellen Gormly 50
    Patrick Gormly 26
    Mary Gormly 22
    Bridget Gormly 20
    Ellen Gormly 16
    Edward Gormly 12

Year: 1880; Census Place: East Mauch Chunk, Carbon, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1108; Family History Film: 1255108; Page: 529D; Enumeration District: 125; Image: 0713

Another (possible) entry for him is in the 1901 Ireland Census in Esker South, Aghaboy, Longford

Gormley Edward 35
    Gormley Bridget 32
    Gormley Kate A 7
    Gormley James Js 5
    Gormley Michael 3
    Gormley Francis 1

However, to date we have been unable to find this family on any other censuses records in US or Ireland (or found any other possibilities)
    Also are we able to order the Pennsylvania birth certificate of Edward Gorml[e]y and if so how?

Fresh eyes and suggestions would be most welcomed

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenwright02 View Post

Another (possible) entry for him is in the 1901 Ireland Census in Esker South, Aghaboy, Longford

Gormley Edward 35
    Gormley Bridget 32
    Gormley Kate A 7
    Gormley James Js 5
    Gormley Michael 3
    Gormley Francis 1

However, to date we have been unable to find this family on any other censuses records in US or Ireland
    Hi,

I can see this family in the 1911 census. See here. Edward and Bridget are recorded as being married 18 years (abt 1893)

BTW: Which child of Edward and Bridget is your wife's ancestor?

stevenwright02

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post

BTW: Which child of Edward and Bridget is your wife's ancestor?
    My wife descends from their child Kate Ann

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenwright02 View Post
    My wife descends from their child Kate Ann
    I take it that Kate Ann in the 1901 and 1911 census in Ireland is yours. In which case, as she is with her father Edward and her grandmother Catherine GORMLEY in 1911, I tend to feel the 1880 US census is probably a different family.

I haven't spotted a marriage between a James GORMLEY and a Catherine yet . There were a couple of births registered in Longford (Catherine born 1868, James born 1870) where the parents were James GORMLEY and Catherine WHITNEY. (See Family Search.)

The Catherine we have in the 1911 census is possibly in the 1901 census here, although her age is out. She is a widow so we still don't know her spouse's name, although we do know he was a farmer. What was James occupation as recorded on Edward's marriage certificate?

stevenwright02

James' occupation as recorded on Edward's marriage certificate is Farmer, as was Edward's occupation.

I too concur that the 1880 US census is more than likely a different family.

devaneyc

Are you sure your wife's link is to this Edward Gormley. What other information have you at hand of Kate-Ann. Had Kate-Ann sisters that you know off or are in contact with?

devaneyc

HI Steven. Had you any additional information on the Gormley family particularly Kate-Ann. Do you know of any of her family in Esker?