Jane Elderfield

Default French equivalent of Brit-Gen forums?

Hello, members--

Can anyone recommend a free general genealogical forum for France? Perhaps something like Brit-Gen forums, with lots of sub-forums for places or occupations or time periods, and (ideally) keen members just bursting with helpful information....

I'm researching families in Gironde, Languedoc, and the pays Basque, in the late 1600s, so specialized forums in those regions would be helpful, too.

Have found some useful on-line archives, and others that are an exercise in frustration.

Jane E

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Jane, I googled (as you do) 'Genealogy forums in France' lots of sites came up which I didn't stop to peruse, so something is out there.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Don't forget, Jane, that it is always worth posting French queries here on the Europe Genealogy forum as we have members who live in France and who may also be able to help.

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    ...Can anyone recommend a free general genealogical forum for France?
    I'm researching families in Gironde, Languedoc, and the pays Basque, in the late 1600s, so specialized forums in those regions would be helpful, too....
    Update:

I have found geneanet.org very helpful, especially as the English version pops up if one types en. in front of the site name. There are many searchable online trees, private message options, and a notification service for names being researched (all free).

As to the Pays Basque, there is a very useful site with many online databases. These are searchable by town ("commune"), date range, and "patronyme". One can use partial names as "racines", by typing * to replace doubtful letters in a name. The site is run by the Genealogie et Histoires des Familles de Pays-Basque et Adour Maritime, at ghfpbam.org

--Jane Elderfield

Cyndi's List shows several hundred links to Material for France HERE. It includes a section on newsgroups and mailing lists which includes the many Rootsweb lists. These were the original manner to swap genealogy data and most are still active.

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

There are many links on this site too.

https://www.telusplanet.net/public/mtoll/locate2.htm

Name well known on Brit-Gen

We have a french member stefbkbk who has intimated that they are willing to help members

her post is here, I also helped her off board then brought it back to help produce the result she wanted....worth dropping a pm to

https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...light=stefbkbk

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

I see some of the links work and some don't. It looks like they need to update their site.

topleycolin

Jane, Généalogie at https://www.genealogie.com/v4/genealo...epageconnected
    is pretty good.
    If you know the department and the commune, you can trawl for free through the actual microfilmed registers. For Paris, you need to know which arrondissement. Some départements have also re-constituted pre-19th century data from various sources.

To give you an idea of how useful Généalogie can be, for a long time I had real trouble finding my mother's grandparents' marriage. Their name was Cook and you can imagine how many people there are in Britain of that name! (There are also a lot in France).
    I found the birth entry for my great-uncle John born in Maisons-Laffitte and it gave not only his parents' names but also the exact date and place in England where they were married. Problem solved!