kidami

Default John Henry Yates

Hi, I am Jenny Yates from Australia and have been researching from before there were computers ! My biggest brick wall is the one who gave me my surname : my great grandfather, John Henry Yates. His marriage certificate of 1868 ( in Australia ) says he was born in Preston, Lancs 7/10/1838 , his father was John Yates & mother Mary Burtin. He was well educated as was a legal manager . The Lancs registry office has no record of his birth so I wonder how many porkies were told on his marriage cert ! Other names I am researching are MORAN, from Ballymore, Westmeath, SUTCLIFFE, MULHOLLAND,, BIRCH, BIRTWELL, GUEST, PARSONS, BARNETT, MCCUBBIN, BENNETTS, WINGFIELD, MANNY, KNUCKEY, HAMILTON, ALSTON & MOAT (MOTTE ).
    I'd be happy to hear from anyone researching those names. I've done the Ancestry autosomal DNA test & got my brother to do the Y test thru Family Tree DNA so I!m keen! Cheers to all ! Jenny.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Jenny,
    It's quite possible his birth wasn't registered ( it wasn't compulsory in 1838) so you need a baptism record (tricky cos it probably won't have his birth date on it) or a census record. Do you know anything else about his past. like when he went out to Australia?

FredP

Hi Jenny,

You don't seem to have had any further replies so I wonder if you know any of this -

In 1851 census HO107/2261 f271 p3 there is a John Yates, 13, b Preston, scholar at Spring Bank, Over Darwen. This was a school, Jonah Singleton, Head, whose nephew was teacher of English, and there was a German-born teacher of German, Maths and Chemisty. There were 18 boarding pupils aged 8 - 16.

In 1861 census RG09/3129 f76 p44 there is a John Yates, 23, b Preston, draper employing 5 men in Preston, with wife Margaret A, 21, b Ashton, and a servant Elizabeth Smith. They don't appear in 1871.

John Yates m Margaret Anne Atkinson Junqtr 1859 Preston 8 e 606. A Margaret Yates d Decqtr 1862 Preston 8 e 373.

This may not be the right John Yates as there are four of this name recorded as dying in Preston about this time, including one of the right age - Marqtr 1867 8 e 396 aged 29, but it fits in with your ancester going to Australia and marrying in 1868.

Best wishes, FredP.