Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gimmerlamb

Default George Lascelles of Brough

Does any one know about George Lascelles of Brough ? He married Elizabeth Horn , daughter of Jonathan Horn, at Brough under Stainmore in 1828. For a short time he and his wife had an school at Brough, then they moved to Melsonby, just north of Richmond in Yorkshire. I would like to know who this George was and where he came from.

Mutley

You obviously have the 1841 and 1851 census at Richmond where George was stated to be a surgeon.
    In 1851 he gives his place of birth as Thrintoft in 1804 (National Archives: HO/107 Piece: 2381 Folio: 524, Page: 3)

There is a marriage for a George Lascelles on 8 Feb 1801 at Richmond by Licence.
    Witnesses were John Crake and John Abdell
    The description states: of Ainderby Steeple, gent and Isabella Dalton of this parish spinster
    Record source: Cleveland Marriages provided by the Cleveland Family History Society.

They could be the parents of your George, the timing would be about right.
    Did either George leave a will?

Mutley

If you think the George that married in 1801 may be related then it is possible that an abstract of his father's will is available from the National Archives.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...doc_Id=7457749

Mutley

Two of George and Elizabeth's children:
    Ann baptised at Bowes on Dec 8th 1835. D/o Elizabeth and George Lascelles , a Surgeon J.L.
    William baptised at Bowes on Aug 20th 1838. S/o Elizabeth and George Lascelles , a Surgeon J.L.

The baptisms of the other children are on Family Search at Melsonby.

gimmerlamb

Thanks Mutley,
    you have been busy on my behalf.
    George definitely married an Elizabeth Horn in 1828 at Brough under Stainmore and I know who her father was, George was born circa 1804, I think. I will see if there are any Lascelles wills, available, many thanks.

gimmerlamb

I will check this one out next time I am at NYCRO, thanks for the possible lead.

Famous for offering help & advice

NYCRO would be the obvious place to go for parish registers, but bear in mind that most Yorkshire probate records are at the Borthwick Institute, part of the University of York. A notable exception is records for the Archdeaconry of Richmond, which are at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds.

I have an index to these Richmond wills (from a magazine cover disc a few years ago - it looks like something produced by WYAS for use in the archives), which shows the will of a George Lascelles of Leeming, proved in 1834 [ref: RD/AP1 184/38]. As Leeming is close to Ainderby Steeple, I wonder if it might be relevant?

Arthur

Mutley

I had quite a bit of fun researching George. I found three of them, one born in (I think from memory) Pocklington ??? or similar.
    One that married into our Royal family (that was quite exciting), I think he was from Harewood and the Richmond one born Thrintoft.

I do not know the area at all and do not know if they may be related in some way. They seemed to be quite 'well to do' and made a change from searching for my 'dastardly lot'.

Keep us in touch and good luck.

Famous for offering help & advice

To add to what I wrote above, you can find an index of the Borthwick's probate records on the British Origins website, as part of their National Wills Index. You need to register and pay for access - 72 hours, a month or a year - in order to see these, but I've just checked and there are lots of Lascelles wills/admons. (NB - you start with a computerised index, and the results link to images of the original handwritten index, which I always found tedious to work with because you could only browse through it year by year.)

You can also order copies of wills held by the Borthwick directly from the Origins site, at the same price as if you went straight to the Borthwick. However, if you can get to York easily and/or have a lot of wills to look at, you might find it more economical to look at them in person.

Arthur

PS - As Mutley points out (and as many Yorkshiremen know) Lascelles is the family name of the Earl of Harewood. Because of their royal connections they are no doubt pretty well documented, so you might get lucky and find that yours are connected and feature in a published genealogy somewhere.

gimmerlamb

Default George Lascelles

Thank you Mutley and Arthur for your interest in this. I could not find a will on the National Archive site, but found an entry in the Death Duty Index, so just downloaded it. Death Duty 1800 5 Feb for George Lascelles of Thrintoft in the parish of Ainderby Steeple, gentleman. Executors were George Lascelles and William Lascelles residing with the testator. Legatees were George and William ( Lieutenant in the 66th regiment of Foot), his illegitimate sons who inherited all his estate, which was under £2,000.
    I am going to NYCRO next week so will check the Ainderby Steeple registers.
    It may be that having inherited in 1800 George Lascelles then married the Isabel Dalton in 1801 and then the George Lascelles that I am interested in was born 1804. So it looks like there may have been three George Lascelles in succession. You start looking for one person and get led down such interesting byways. I still need to know why George number 3 went to Brough !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast