Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chaney999

Default WILLIAM WILSON - PROTESTANT MINISTER IN 1851

I have hit a brickwall. I have my g g uncle in HULL in 1851. He is a protestant minister. The census states..... Protestant Minister, Mission. Can anyone advise me of how I can find more information regarding this occupation and maybe which church he served.

regards
    Tracey

georgiep

Hi Tracey, please can you give us the link to 1851 census as there are quite a few Williams.
    Thank you.
    The address may help to search the missions before and after this census to throw some light on them
    Georgiep

Reputation beyond repute

Protestant Minister, Mission

But that isn't quite what it says. The occupation is actually shown as Protestant Mission. Added in another hand (probably by the abstractor) is the word Minister which is presumably just allocating him to a particular occupational classification ("Ministers of religion and allied trades", perhaps )

Perhaps he really was a minister but I wouldn't say that this census was conclusive. What was he up to in other censuses or on BMD certificates?

The relevant census reference is presumably The National Archives; HO 107/2363 f 315 p 23

There's an article here on non-conformity in Hull...

https://www.
    british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66778

What a lot of chapels there were!

If you want somewhere to search, you could try the 1851 religious census
    (The National Archives; HO 129) So far as I know, this isn't online.

georgiep

Thanks Peter, I was looking for an older man not a 23yr old, son of James a dyer.
    What a load of lodgers they have, do you think it could be a lodging house Mission?
    Georgiep

Reputation beyond repute

I had to use the free index on FMP to get a bead on him!

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If you want somewhere to search, you could try the 1851 religious census
    (The National Archives; HO 129) So far as I know, this isn't online.
    But is available from Ancestral Indexes. 1851 Census of Religious Worship in England & Wales

georgiep

Peter thanks for being honest..
    GeorgieP

Reputation beyond repute

But is available from Ancestral Indexes
    I hadn't realised. Thank you. Are they scans of the schedules?

Reputation beyond repute

I hadn't realised. Thank you. Are they scans of the schedules?
    Answering my own question... the description says "Abridged from the Official Report (1854). Author: Horace Mann". So presumably not scans of the original schedules. But no doubt a useful resource - don't let me put anyone off!

However what Tracey may be interested in is that it is actually online - the 1851 religious census can be downloaded free of charge as part of the "digital microfilm" range!

Hull is covered by The National Archives; HO 129/520

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0

Click on "View Digital Image".

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...?iaid=C1359980

Start it downloading and then go and put the kettle on!

chaney999

Default Still Hunting !

Many Thanks for all of your assistance, however I am still at a loss. I think you maybe right that this is a mission and Williams occupation is listed as a protestant minister incorrectly. I have now checked the National Archives as advised and drawn a BLANK.

William Wilson is at this address of 44 Garden Street, Hull in 1851. His father is there with him James Wilson and I believe Williams Daughter Ann aged 5. William was married to Britannia and on their marriage cert it states that he was an engineer. However she died in 1849 and then I find him in 1851. I thought maybe he had turned to religion.

William and James are gypsies along with williams deceased wife Britannia, however prior to this they were living in houses in Hull as have all of my other gypsy relatives.

I cannot locate him after 1851, it is such a common name.

Regards
    Tracey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast