Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jan1954

Default Whatever happened to Isaac CATT?

Having dallied with Mary Austen, Isaac absolved himself of any parental responsibilities by legging it to America, aged 22, setting sail from Rye in Sussex on the Brig William and landing in New York on 21 May 1828. Upon landing, he declared himself to be a farmer, although this was not stated in the embarkation record.

This gives him a birth year of about 1806, although I have yet to find evidence of this.

His mother Sarah (née DETSON) is buried in the churchyard of St Mildred's Church, Tenterden, Kent, upon her grave being written: Mrs. Sarah CATT of this parish died 18th March, 1866, aged 88. Leaving seven sons and one daughter, James, William, Joseph, Isaac, Harriott, Stephen, Charles and George

Apart from Harriott (born Kenardington, Kent) and Stephen (born Warehorne, Kent) all of the others appear to have been born in Tenterden. However, I have no evidence of this for Isaac – except for the entry below.

In a poor law book in Tenterden parish records dated 14th May 1834, where Mary applied for relief to support her daughter, it does state that Tenterden was his parish and the reason for not paying? “Gone to America.”

Years ago, I found an entry in the American census of 1840: Knox, Indiana, aged 20 to 30 with one male under 5 and one female 20 to 30. (Sorry, no reference to hand) but I am not fully convinced that this is my Isaac.

I am trying to trace what happened to Isaac once he had landed in America and any assistance/help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is an 1850 US Census entry at Family Search for an Isaac Catt b 1829 England, farmer, married at Watson, Allegan, Michigan. Could this be the same chap?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    There is an 1850 US Census entry at Family Search for an Isaac Catt b 1829 England, farmer, married at Watson, Allegan, Michigan. Could this be the same chap?
    Thank you for looking, but no. 1829 is far too late for a birth as I have evidence of his journey to America in 1828.

Jan1954

Whoa!

I have just found a baptism for Isaac on 4th January 1807 at Kenardington on Family Search to James and Sarah CAT (parents' names are correct) and this would tie in with Harriott (the next child) also having been born there. This has not appeared on Family Search before, so I am quite chuffed and will now check the Kenardington PRs to see if there are any further clues.

So, I was not far out when I said that he was born about 1806. Still didn't tell me what he got up to in America, though. (Sorry for digressing - I was rather excited... )

Jan1954

Further to the above......

I have just received an email from a (very distant) cousin from the Catt line. It seems that Isaac and his brother Joseph changed their surname from CATT to CATE and moved..... to Canada! (I shall therefore move this thread from America to Canada )

Apparently, Isaac can be found on the Canadian censuses for Rainham, Haldimand, Ontario in 1851, 1861 and 1881. I would be most grateful for anyone who has access to these, if they could supply me with any further information from those censuses. Also, I wonder where he was in 1871?

Many thanks,

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There seems to be two Isaac Cates/Kates Jan. One died in 1883, was married to Mariah, had a son Isaac b. 1833ish + 6 others (1861) Dtr Hariot.
    Another in 1871 had wife Elizabeth. err no same family, perhaps his wife's 2nd name?
    Will send some piccies.

There are several trees on Ancestry.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well, he seems to have married Maria Younglove & his childrens baptisms are on Familysearch - possibly more, just had a quickie look. Marriage didn't come up on Ancestry, too early for the records so far transcribed.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Thanks, Wendy.

I will have a rummage on Family Search tomorrow as the brain is now becoming a little fried.

The first one that you mentioned (with the daughter Hariot) looks good as that was his sister's name (naming patterns and all that).

Thanks,

Rainam
    Haldimand County
    Isaac Cates birn England a farmer 46
    Maria 39
    Isaac 18
    Sarah 17
    Charles 17
    Harriet 15
    Margaret 13
    William 11
    George 6
    Maria 8
    Joseph W 4
    Mary A 2
    Wife and children born Canada. Someone has submitted Isaac's birth place as Devon county.

Rainham
    Isaac, 55 Labourer
    Mariah 48
    Isaac 28
    margaret 22
    William 20
    George 6
    Joseph W 13
    Edward 9
    Nancy 4

There is another Isaac Cates on this census, born England a widow, by himself in Romney, Kent, Canada West

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast