Charles 17
    Harriet 15
    Margaret 13
    William 11
    George 6
    Maria 8
    Joseph W 4
    Mary A 2
    Wife and children born Canada. Someone has submitted Isaac's birth place as Devon county.
    Thank you!

Some very kind person has emailed to me the copies of the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses and, as I have now discovered that Isaac died in 1883, that fills in another gap very nicely. Thank you.

Rainham
    Isaac Cates 70 Labourer
    Elizabeth 60 Ontario
    Nancy 14
    Edward 17
    Harriott 30

Franklin Wallis age 28 appears at the top of the same household, a farmer.

This looks like the son

Isaac Cates 37 farmer married
    Elizabeth Cates 38
    Ida Ann Cates 3

George W is next door age 25, married, with Mandy age 17

Jan1954

Now, I am just after a couple of other things.... if anyone can find them, please?

1) The marriage of Isaac and Maria(h). As Maria is recorded as being Canadian, I would have thought that this happened in that country. If his son was born about 1833, he may have married around that date.

2) The date of when he moved to Canada. If he landed in NY in May 1828 and was having a son in Canada in 1833, it should have happened during those 5 years. Where could I check for records, please?

janbooth

Jan,

An Ancestry Family Tree for Isaac shows that he was married before he married Maria YOUNGLOVE to a Barbary SHANK on 17 March 1832 - no further details shown - and that they had 2 children Isaac and Charles. Barbary died in 1834 in Rainham. There are no sources shown unfortunately, but it could be worth bearing the information in mind.

There is a marriage shown for Charles CATES in Haldimand parish in 1897 he being a widower, aged 62, born Rainham, Farmer, resident at Houghton Centre, Ontario and shows his parents as Isaasc CATES & Barbara? but it does not look like SHANK to me. His bride was a Hannah BENNET, aged 46, widow, of Rainham, born Bertie?, parents William BENNET & Barbara SHINK which is probably where the Barbara SHANK came from in the Ancestry Family Tree. I'll send you a copy of the record - you might have better luck deciphering Barbara's maiden name!

Janet

janbooth

Further to the above, I can't send you the image via the Forum, so if you would like it send me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Also another marriage of a George Webster CATES, aged 24, born Mersea?, Ontario, bachelor, Farmer, parents Isaac & Maria CATES married Alexandra Christian LETTERINGTON, aged 17, born Mersea Ontario, parents William & Caroline LETTERINGTON on 9 January 1871 at Romney, Kent, Ontario, both being Methodists.

Sources for both marriages are via Ancestry's Ontario, Canada Marriages records.

I can't find either marriage for Isaac, I'm afraid.

Janet

Jan1954

Oh crumbs, Janet! I have been trying to track this chap down for goodness knows how many years and I am suddenly awash with information! That just goes to show how wonderful the members of this forum are.

I have sent you a PM.

Thank you!

Coromandel

An Isaac Cates was (or perhaps I should say ought to have been!) in Rainham in 1832. He's listed on a 'Muster Roll of Captain John Eakins Company, Rainham' dated 26 June 1832, about halfway down this page:

https://
    familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/u/l/Doug-Culver/GENE4-0041.html

Isaac is one of several men on the list who are marked as absent without leave!

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    An Ancestry Family Tree for Isaac shows that he was married before he married Maria YOUNGLOVE to a Barbary SHANK on 17 March 1832 - no further details shown - and that they had 2 children Isaac and Charles. Barbary died in 1834 in Rainham. There are no sources shown unfortunately, but it could be worth bearing the information in mind.
    A court case, Shank v. Cates, is referred to in 'Report of Cases decided in the Court of Queen's Bench, Vol. XI (published in Toronto in 1854; available on Google Books).

'EJECTMENT for land in Rainham - tried at Cayuga, before
    Burns, J. A verdict was taken subject to the opinion of the
    court on the following facts. On the 17th of March 1832
    Adam Shank, whose title was not disputed, conveyed the land
    in question, by deed poll, to his sister Barbara Shank, for a
    consdieration of £200. The deed expressed that he granted,
    bargained, sold, aliened, released, transferred, conveyed and
    confirmed unto the said "Barbara Shank, and her children,
    for ever" all and singular that certain tract, &c., "to have
    and to hold the same, with the appurtenances, unto the said
    Barbara Shank, and her children, for ever."

The plaintiff was the son and heir of the grantor in this
    deed. The defendant was husband of Barbara Shank, the
    grantee, who afterwards married Isaac Cates. She died
    seventeen years ago, leaving her husband in possession.'

Even though Adam Shank evidently intended (in my layperson's eyes, at least) that the property should go to his sister's children, it was judged that Adam's son was 'entitled to recover' the property. This was because Barbara had had no children at the time the grant was made, and because 'no proper words of inheritance' were included.

The case was heard in 'Trinity Term, 17 Vic.' (1854 I think).

It's interesting that the date of the grant (17 March 1832) is also the date quoted on the Ancestry tree for the marriage of Isaac & Barbara/Barbary.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    An Isaac Cates was (or perhaps I should say ought to have been!) in Rainham in 1832. He's listed on a 'Muster Roll of Captain John Eakins Company, Rainham' dated 26 June 1832, about halfway down this page:

https://
    familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/u/l/Doug-Culver/GENE4-0041.html

Isaac is one of several men on the list who are marked as absent without leave!
    Why does that not surprise me? He really seems to have been a bit of a rogue....

Thank you, Jane.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a marriage shown for Charles CATES in Haldimand parish in 1897 he being a widower, aged 62, born Rainham, Farmer, resident at Houghton Centre, Ontario and shows his parents as Isaasc CATES & Barbara? but it does not look like SHANK to me. His bride was a Hannah BENNET, aged 46, widow, of Rainham, born Bertie?, parents William BENNET & Barbara SHINK which is probably where the Barbara SHANK came from in the Ancestry Family Tree. I'll send you a copy of the record - you might have better luck deciphering Barbara's maiden name!

Janet
    I have found a transcription of this and it has Barbara's surname as TROUP, so I am looking forward to seeing what it really looks like!

janbooth

We crossed over on this Jan, as in my email to you I said my best guess on her surname was TROUP - see what you think when you receive the record! Hope you have fun with the other records I found.

Janet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast