Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Smile IGI records completed

There is an announcement at the FamilySearch blog that work on the IGI has been completed, and all records are now available at the FamilySearch website.

To access from the FS home page, click on 'All record collections' under the 'Browse by location' heading. At the next page, type IGI in the search box in the top left corner. Click on the IGI title when it appears - this will take you to a new IGI page, where you can choose to search in either the 'Community Indexed IGI' or the 'Community Contributed IGI' databases.

There is a short video showing search details at: https://familysearch.org/blog/features-familysearch/

I feel a bit relieved to know it's all back in place again!

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

All records are not available, but I would guess you mean what they had before the 'revamp/updates'.

Steve.

louisa maud

I can't get to grips with the site they changed a few months ago, even less now

Louisa Maud

Starting to feel at home

Louisa,

If you click on Help, at the top right corner of the home page, and then on 'Click here to access all video demos' you'll find some decent material on finding records in FamilySearch.

Also, if you click on 'Learn' at the very top of the home page, there's lots of supplementary info on video, e.g. FamilySearch Tips (10 min.). Or if you use the filter on the left to restrict to just England, there are about nineteen more videos there on various subjects. Most have pdf handouts to go with them.

Don't give up - it's worth it in the end! I've found more records in the new site, than I ever did with the old one.

regards

Pam

MythicalMarian

Talking of bringing the IGI back - I dipped into FS today on yet another fruitless search for my Williamsons of Liverpool. I discovered a possible baptism for my 3xgreat gran's sister Mary Williamson in 1812 at Liverpool St. Matthew. This was described as being part of the Liverpool BTs. As I'd trawled through every church in Liverpool a couple of years ago at the library, I decided to Google this St. Matthew's, thinking I'd totally missed it. Well, it appears there was no St. Matthew's in central Liverpool at all during 1812, and even in its suburbs (Toxteth, Walton etc) there was no St. Matthew's built until about the 1840s. So, what's going on here? I'm totally at a loss. Perhaps a real Liverpool expert can help us here.

jac65

Hi

St Matthew Liverpool was in Scotland Road, if you scroll down to church records there is a link.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Liverpool/

Family search has some information

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/w...ew,_Lancashire

Andy

louisa maud

Thank you for the help, I have been at this lark for years and since they chnaged the IGI I have had hardly any success and I find it quite confusing, I will give it another try,

Many Thanks

Louisa Maud

MarkJ

I agree with you Louisa. I have been using the old IGI for years and, even when the LDS introduced the new, go faster, whizzo version of their collections, I had a convenient link direct to the IGI until a couple of weeks ago, when that was finally pulled.

Whilst I am sure the new version is good, the LDS overlooked those users with limited internet connectivity. I could load the IGI pretty much instantly, but the new main page for the collections takes an age to load - and then I have to go through the process of getting to the new IGI version (which I do not like - but each to their own). Videos of how to use the new site may be good but for myself, they are pointless as my connection speed simply doesn't let me watch video.

I think that a great resource (when used carefully) has been lost - or at least made less user friendly.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't like using it now - too much Java, I think.

What I did notice is that they have finally admitted that "For a short period of time duplication in the IGI was reduced by removing records from the indexed data when these records were submitted by the community". This was (and presumably still is) a long standing gripe because it ruins the technique of searching by batch number.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    I agree with you Louisa. I have been using the old IGI for years and, even when the LDS introduced the new, go faster, whizzo version of their collections, I had a convenient link direct to the IGI until a couple of weeks ago, when that was finally pulled.

Whilst I am sure the new version is good, the LDS overlooked those users with limited internet connectivity. I could load the IGI pretty much instantly, but the new main page for the collections takes an age to load - and then I have to go through the process of getting to the new IGI version (which I do not like - but each to their own). Videos of how to use the new site may be good but for myself, they are pointless as my connection speed simply doesn't let me watch video.

I think that a great resource (when used carefully) has been lost - or at least made less user friendly.
    I couldn't agree more, Mark, and Louisa. I, too, used to go back to the IGI until they fixed "what wasn't broken"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast