Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinlan

Starting to feel at home

Default Quinlan

Hi
    I am looking for the marriage of Maurice Quinlan from Staigue Castlecove Co Kerry Ireland to Elizabeth Conway from Kerry around 1840. I have found one son Maurice Quinlan on the Kerry parish records, he was born on the 1st July 1846. I would be grateful if anyone could help point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Maurice

Jan1954

Hello Maurice,

There are rather a lot of parishes in County Kerry. Do you have an idea as to where in Co. Kerry Elizabeth came from? In England, it was quite traditional for the marriage to take place in the bride's parish, so I was wondering if her parish had been searched.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I have searched all the kerry parishes. It is possible Conway has English landlord origins and therefore may be Church of England/Ireland. Maybe they got married in a registry office. Is there any way of finding this information out?

Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry I can't answer your actual question. Their marriage is not popping up on the irishgenealogy.site, but there seem to be baptisms of several children to this couple. The earliest is a Patrick Quinlan bp 1836, Caherdaniel parish, address Reen suggesting an earlier marriage date. The latest 1852, Elizabeth Quinlan address Stague.
    I thought perhaps that Elizabeth had died around then as there is a marriage of a Maurice Quinlan to a Margaret Piggot, Caherdaniel parish in 1853. However there is a baptism in 1858 of a Catherine Bowler in Caherdaniel where the sponsors were Maurice Quinlan and Elizabeth Conway suggesting she is still alive. So perhaps more than one Maurice Q in Caherdaniel? Or another Elizabeth Conway.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Maurice and Elizabeth Quinlan seems popular. LDS Family Search has this and it might be the parents to the 1836 birth.

Grrom:Maurice Quinlan
    Bride: Eliz. Doyle
    Marriage Date: 07 Oct 1827
    Marriage Place: Roman Catholic,Killarney,Kerry,Ireland
    Batch: M70090-1

What information do you have suggesting a c. 1840 marriage date.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your research, can I ask which sights you used to find Ptrick and Elizabeth Quinlan? as I didn't manage to find these names, I was using kerry parish records. There are several Quinlans but to my knowledge there was only one Conway family.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Raffaele. Unfortunately I don't think that is the right one as I know the brides name was definitely Conway. I beleive the marriage was c1840 because their son JOhn Quinlan was born in Staigue on the 10/12/1843 according to Kerry parish records. HIs parents were Maurice Quinlan and Elizabeth Conway, but unfortunatley there is no record of their marriage.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by maurice1953 View Post
    Maybe they got married in a registry office. Is there any way of finding this information out?
    Registry Office marriages only started in Ireland in April 1845 so if the couple married before that it must have been in a church. If you think they were Church of Ireland, there’s no comprehensive index and you would need to check parish by parish. Not all COI parish records from the 1830s and 1840 have survived and I don’t think any are on line. You would need to check in the RCB library in Dublin, as they hold copies of most of the surviving parish records.
    ELWYN

Brick wall demolition expert!

I posted the Marriage as there were some births found with Maurice and Elizabeth Quinlan parents which predated the marriage which you referred to.

I found it on the LDS site.
    https://familysearch.org/

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by maurice1953 View Post
    Thank you for your research, can I ask which sights you used to find Ptrick and Elizabeth Quinlan? as I didn't manage to find these names, I was using kerry parish records. There are several Quinlans but to my knowledge there was only one Conway family.
    All free on the irishgenealogy.ie site. Start with general terms then progressively narrow. Using Quinlan, with additional name Conway, in Kerry then Caherdaniel parish leads to this page
    https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy....mel9=&keyword=
    (moderators - hope ok to post this link)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast