Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    arriving 1 June 1954 to 43 Beaufort Rd, Edgbaston. An Engineer, permanent residence was Portugal. Intended future residence was a Foreign Country.
    Electoral Roll for No 43,

1950, names of
    HAYDEN
    MORGAN
    HARRIS
    GIBBON
    SOUTH

GRIMSLEY
    SOUTH

Not posting full details for obvious reasons.

18 CLINCH's in Brum in 1855. Some at what I can recognise as 'desirable' addresses, but no William.
    Last edited by Ken_R; 03-08-2012 at 9:33 AM. Reason: Missed one off.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I am not sure who Ethel is yet but I think it is time I found my 'Cama' in the 'quarto da cama'.
    I hope you had a good night's sleep after all the work you did on my behalf. muita obrigada, Mutley. I have to get the supper started now, but will get back to study all your findings ASAP.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    Electoral Roll for No 43,

1950, names of
    HAYDEN
    MORGAN
    HARRIS
    GIBBON
    SOUTH

GRIMSLEY
    SOUTH

Not posting full details for obvious reasons.
    That looks very promising, Ken_R: SOUTH is the married name I have for one of William Marriott Clinch's daughters.

Ken_R

I'll PM you the details in due course. It might have to wait until Sunday. From having a quick look, the house was divided into flats.

M_MQ

I am a portuguese citizen, and I am currently working in a project that deals with the Sao Domingos Mine in Portugal. At this time, a variant of the project focuses on the British Cemetery located at the mine and its historical relevance.

I am currently doing an initial exploratory study about the cemetery, bandstand and surrounding gardens, which were all built by the British community in the Sao Domingos Mine, Mértola. Extraction in the modern era was started in 1858 by the British company Mason & Barry, Ltd., coordinated by James Mason.

The cemetery actual state of art is: a small quadrangular structure, walled by 3 meters high white walls and with 9 cypress trees.
    A very simple bandstand and surrounding gardens were also built, associated with the English garden concept model and evokes the importance given to leisure by the community.

Nowadays, and because the mine was abandoned in 1966, these splendid structures are much degraded and in a very poor state.
    The bandstand and the gardens are nowadays very degraded and in need of preservation and rehabilitation work. On the other hand, the tall grass is taking over the little cemetery, the walls are in need of repair and the iron gate also needs paint recovery.

I would very much like to present and propose a project to bring back the importance of these abandoned structures, and to collaborate in the development of initiatives to promote and disseminate the cultural, social and industrial heritage of Sao Domingos Mine.

Therefore I would appreciate if you could tell if there are any research projects, related to this subject or if you would be interested talking to me about this abandoned and magnificent structures. Since I believe this project has all the means to become a great cultural and social development plan, both Portuguese and English communities should absolutely be involved.

Please let me know if you need any other information or clarification.

Send me a private message!

Awaiting for your feedback.
    Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

craigacc

Hi,

I have done a lot of research on this branch of the family (my second cousin line) and came across your original post when looking around for any new links to info on Marriott's son Henry Percy Clinch, who died in Gallipoli in 1915.

Some very interesting info from people who have replied. Good to read this!

Please mail me on craig at bikertrecker dot com as I would live to swap some notes. I have an extensive Clinch family tree which I'm always happy to share info from.

I have Marriott's children as Henry Percy A 1899-1915, Alice Mary b1890, William Marriott H 1893-1974 and Esperanza 1894 to 1969, all born in Portugal.

Look forward to hearing from you, or anyone else who has contributed

Craig Carey-Clinch

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I am trying to find out more about Marriott William Clinch and his descendants (I have a lot about his Clinch relatives who stayed in Witney, but he is one of the ones who got away..

Hallo Craig, and a warm welcome to British-Genealogy. I'm afraid Coromandel is no longer a member, so may not see your post for a bit.

In the meantime, have a good look round now you are here!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Clinch

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    There is a newspaper Death notice.

"Nov 25, at Mina San Domingos, Alice, the infant daughter of Marriot William and Mary Clinch."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.
    . I am a descendant of esparanza clinch and can give more info.....esparanza married into the harvey family in Penzance. The daughter of william clinch still lives in Penzance ....if the link is still live will post more

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My grandmother was esparanza clinch....she married Leonard harvey and lived in Oxford then reading ....WILLIAMS daughter is very well and lives in Penzance ....happy to fill in more gaps if anyone following still

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Dicmaule,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The original poster of the thread is no longer a member of the forum, but hopefully craigacc who posted a couple of years ago will receive notification of your post and will get in touch.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123