Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coromandel

Default From Witney to Portugal

I am trying to find out more about Marriott William Clinch and his descendants (I have a lot about his Clinch relatives who stayed in Witney, but he is one of the ones who got away..

Marriott William Clinch was the eldest son of John Marriott Clinch and Martha (Burgess). His birth was registered in the third quarter of 1859 in the Witney district. He was probably born at Rock House, Mill Lane [now Mill Street], in what is considered the town of Witney but would then have been just over the parish boundary in Curbridge. His father would then have been a miller, but later took up farming in the nearby parish of Cogges.

Marriott was a civil engineer when he married Mary Harriet 'Leah' [Leahy according to children's baptisms] Parkinson at Fleetwood St Peter, Lancs, on 16 August 1886. Both he and Mary gave their address as 48 Sagar Terrace. (From transcript on Lancs OPCs.)

Soon afterwards they probably headed off for Portugal. Occasionally they pop up in England (e.g. getting children christened). A family tree lists only three children, Percy, William Marriott and Esperanza, but I think I now have at least five and possibly six:
    • almost certainly John Marriott Clinch, shown on FMP Overseas Births as being born 1886-1890 Portugal. From an announcement in Jackson's Oxford Journal I know that he was the grandson of John Marriott Clinch and that he was 2 years old when he died in 1889, therefore born about 1887.
    • (Henry) Percy Clinch, also born 1886-1890 Portugal (FMP); born about 1889 according to CWGC; killed in action at Gallipoli.
    • Alice Mary Clinch, bapt. 1890 Lancaster St Mary (there is a corresponding birth registration in the Lancaster district); presumed to have died young.
    • William Marriott Clinch, b.1893 according to baptism record (see below)
    • Esperanza Clinch, b.1894 according to baptism record; she and her brother William M. were baptised 3 July 1895 at Lancaster St Mary; father's occupation civil engineer, abode 37 Portland Street.
    • perhaps also Harold Eric Clinch, born 1896-1900 in Portugal according to FMP

It was Marriott's work that had taken them to Portugal. When his daughter Alice was baptised in Lancaster in 1890, the abode was given as Mina S. Domingos, Portugal. The mining rights at this copper mine belonged at that time to the British firm Mason & Barry . . . and it may well be significant that the Mason part of the partnership was none other than James Mason who lived just a couple of miles up the road from Witney, at Eynsham Hall (which isn't in Eynsham at all, but in North Leigh).

Marriott W. Clinch's first wife Mary had presumably died by 1900 when he married Dora Maud McDonough in the Kingston district. Poor Dora didn't last long. There is a memorial to her in the tiny English cemetery, Mina São Domingos. From a photo on Flickr I can make out part of the inscription, which says she 'died at sea June 25 1901 and was buried in the Bay of Biscay aged 24(?) years'. The memorial also mentions their daughter (Pollie?) 'who died in her infancy'.

In 1906 Marriott W. Clinch is back in England again and marrying again, this time in the Hendon district. Out of the two possible spouses, Mina Black and Vivien Dorothy C. Stagg, I think Mina is more likely but haven't yet confirmed this.

There's a death registration for a 65 year old Marriott W. Clinch in the Willesden district in the second quarter of 1925.

When/where did Marriott's first wife die?

Can anyone find anything more on Alice Mary Clinch (b.1890) and her (presumed) siblings John Marriott Clinch and Harold Eric Clinch? Also the short-lived 'Pollie' (if I have read the inscription correctly).

Any advice on locating Portuguese records would be gratefully received.

I think Marriott's son William Marriott Clinch (b.1893) also spent a lot of time in Portugal: he appears on several shipping lists returning to the UK. A family tree gives his wife's surname as Brown but I have no other information about her. I have names of two daughters but as they could still be alive I won't post them here. His sister Esperanza married in Portugal in 1916, I think (to a Leonard Harvey) but was back in England by the time of her death in 1969 (in the Reading district).

Phew! That was a long post, sorry. Well done if you made it to the end!

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    [*]Alice Mary Clinch, bapt. 1890 Lancaster St Mary (there is a corresponding birth registration in the Lancaster district); presumed to have died young.
    There is a newspaper Death notice.

"Nov 25, at Mina San Domingos, Alice, the infant daughter of Marriot William and Mary Clinch."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.

Ken_R

And another.

"Dec 8, at Mino Las Domingos, Mertola, Portugal, John Marriott Clinch, grandson of John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, aged two years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, December 21, 1889; Issue 7134.

Ken_R

Ditto.

"March 23, in London, at the residence of his daughter, John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, late of Witney, aged 65 years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, April 2, 1892; Issue 7254.

Ken_R

Same newspaper, same date. An Obit. to John Marriott. Too much to copy out but ends.............."The Funeral took place on Tuesday, and was attended by members of the Masonic Lodge, of which the deceased was a P. G. M."

[? Grand Master]

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    There is a newspaper Death notice.

"Nov 25, at Mina San Domingos, Alice, the infant daughter of Marriot William and Mary Clinch."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.
    Thank you, Ken_R: I must have missed that one. Alice was baptised in Lancaster at the beginning of November, and must have spent quite a bit of her short life travelling, if she died in Portugal the same month.

"March 23, in London, at the residence of his daughter, John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, late of Witney, aged 65 years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, April 2, 1892; Issue 7254.
    Thank you again! The National Probate Calendar says he died at 136 Clarendon Road, Notting Hill. I will have to check which of his daughters lived there. Two (Kate and Martha Emily), didn't marry, and stayed in Oxfordshire as far as I know. Grace Ann married John Thomas GOOSEY, while Ann Waine Clinch married a William Charles GROVES. The Gooseys were in Northamptonshire so perhaps it was the Groveses who lived in Notting Hill.

Ken_R

Still ploughing on. Lots of 'hits' for "William Clinch", 1886-1900 in a Blackburn newspaper. Too many to look through but one has caught my attention,

"August 20, at Mossley Hill Church, by the Rev R. B. de Wolf, William Clinch Turnock to Edith Mary Hughes, formerly of this city."

Cheshire Observer (Chester, England), Saturday, August 25, 1900; pg. 5; Issue 2507.

Any connection?

Coromandel

"August 20, at Mossley Hill Church, by the Rev R. B. de Wolf, William Clinch Turnock to Edith Mary Hughes, formerly of this city."

Cheshire Observer (Chester, England), Saturday, August 25, 1900; pg. 5; Issue 2507.

Any connection?
    I have had a quick look but at the moment can't see any connection. There's a birth registration for a William Clinch Turnock in the Bramley district (which FreeBMD tells me was in the West Riding of Yorkshire) in 1874. I'm not aware of any Witney Clinches having been in that area. A lot of Witney folk did go to Yorkshire because of the woollen textile industry, but the Clinches weren't blanket makers as far as I know.

P.S. thank you for looking, though! They get about quite a bit: one of them went to the Isle of Man and set up a brewery there.

Ken_R

Funny you should mention Brewer because I found an entry mentioning, what's the name of the place.......has a chip shop on a hill, Chipping Norton, that mentioned a Clinch + 1 partnership in Banking and Brewing.

Typically, I can't now find it. From memory, 1886? It seemed to be just a declaration that 'returns' had been submitted.

That's me for the night.

Mutley

The 1881 census has him at Coggs, Oxfordshire with his sister Katie age 19 and a servant.
    He gives his occupation as Farm Steward and born 1860, Curbridge.
    RG11; Piece: 1515; Folio: 9; Page: 12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast