Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mutley

Marriott William Clinch b.1859 and Mina Clinch b. 1869 travelling from Lisbon arrived in Liverpool on 24 June 1920.
    From Portugal to 19 Wellington Square, Oxford.
    Ports of Voyage: La Plata, [Montevideo], [Santos], [Rio de Janeiro]
    Ship: Deseado

Mutley

Marriott arrived alone on 2 Sep 1905 at Southampton from Lisbon on the Aragon.

Sorry these hits will not be in date order.

Portuguese records are extremely hard. Unfortunately, it is much further north than I am but should you need any help with translations you are welcome to PM me.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Thank you again! The National Probate Calendar says he died at 136 Clarendon Road, Notting Hill. I will have to check which of his daughters lived there. Two (Kate and Martha Emily), didn't marry, and stayed in Oxfordshire as far as I know. Grace Ann married John Thomas GOOSEY, while Ann Waine Clinch married a William Charles GROVES. The Gooseys were in Northamptonshire so perhaps it was the Groveses who lived in Notting Hill.
    The entry on the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar that I can see says Clinch, Marriott William of 41 Mapesbury Road, Cricklewood, Middx died 25th April 1925 at Willesden Hospital, Harlesden Road, Middx. Probate London 18th June to Mina Clinch, Widow. Effects £4,822 1s 3d.

Mutley

Son William Clinch b. abt 1893 left Lisbon and arrived on 1 Dec 1936 at Southampton on the Almanzora. Address Short Street, Pangbourne, Berks. He was an Engineer. With him was a 19 year old spinster going to the same address. (In case she is a living daughter her intials were J.E.)

Mutley

Hoping to find William with a wife but not yet.
    Alone and travelling on the Andalucia from Santos to Plymouth going to 'Casadella' Beeches Walk, Carshalton on 26 April 1927. His last residence was Brazil, his intended residence is England.

Ah! William with Evelyn Georgina born about 1897. They travelled from Lisbon to Southampton arriving on 22 May 1950 on the Alcantara. Address Beaufort Road. Residence was Portugal intending to stay in England!!

William, alone again, from Lisbon to Southampton on the Andes arriving 1 June 1954 to 43 Beaufort Rd, Edgbaston. An Engineer, permanent residence was Portugal. Intended future residence was a Foreign Country.

Mutley

There is, indeed a marriage for Georgina E Brown to William M Clinch at Bradfield, Berks, March qrt of 1916 and a possible death for her in Penzance in 1992. There is a burial for a William M. in 1974 in Paul, Cornwall.

Mutley

In 1933 William and Georgina are in Grove Gardens Spelthorne, Surrey on the Electoral Registers.

4 June 1948 From Lisbon to Southampton, on his own on the Andes and going to Beaufort Road.

Goodness me, he didn't stay anywhere for long, did he?

Mutley

Back to Marriott....
    Mr. Marriott Clinch, a Manager, born about 1859 travelled from Lisbon to Southampton on the Atrato.
    Landed on 18 Aug 1898, no address given.

9 Aug 903 Lisbon to Southampton on the Santos, on his own, no other info.

Mutley

I imagine this was his final trip. The address, mais ou menos, lines up with the Probate address.
    31 Aug 1923 Marriott, a Manager with Mina from Lisbon to Southampton going to 41 Malmesbury Road, Cricklewood. Country of last permanent residence was England and intending to stay in England.

Note: permanent residence is understood to be one year or more.

Quick recap so far for Marriott, I think..
    1881 census at Coggs with his sister.
    1886 married Mary in England
    1898 from Lisbon on the Arato, alone.
    1900 married Dora in England
    1903 from Lisbon on the Thames
    1905 from Lisbon on the Aragon, alone.
    1906 married Mina in England
    1913 from Lisbon on the Alcala, alone.
    1920 from Lisbon on the Deseado with Mina.
    1923 from Lisbon on the Arlanza with Mina.
    1925 died at Cricklewood effects to Mina.

The missing links being 1886 to 1898. Maybe the Outgoing Trips might help.

Mutley

John Marriott Clinch and Ethel Clinch are on the 1929 Electoral Roll at 161A Bedford Hill, Wandsworth.
    At the same address are William Cullen, Beatrice Mary, Ralph and Ida all with the surname 'Polden'.

There is a probate record...
    John Marriott Clinch of 1 Cumnor Road, Farmor, nr Oxford. died 11 Dec 1951. Probate to John Marriott Cripps Clinch, a mechanical engineer. Effect £2286.5s

There is a marriage registration of John Marriott Clinch and Martha Emily Cripps at Witney in Sept 1896.

I am not sure who Ethel is yet but I think it is time I found my 'Cama' in the 'quarto da cama'.

Interesting that way back in the posts a house was named 'Casadella'. It is normal in Portugal to name your house Casa something, often to do with the area (north, south, view etc) but frequently with a family name. Della is not a Portuguese word so I wonder why they chose it. May mean something, may not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast