Loves to help with queries

Default Marriage James Ball & Catherine Hutchinson

First real attempt at Dublin records and I am having a struggle!

I know from James military record that he and Catherine married 08 Aug 1897 in St James RC Church. At the time, he was serving with the 1st Batt. Royal Leinster regiment and I understand he was stationed at Dublin Castle. My problem is that I can't find the marriage on Familysearch or on Irishgenealogy.ie. Obviously I'm missing something but what?

In addition, could anyone tell me which Parish St Michan's RC Church, Halston Rd was in, in the early 1870's please?

Any and all assistance welcome.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by eileenb View Post
    In addition, could anyone tell me which Parish St Michan's RC Church, Halston Rd was in, in the early 1870's please?
    Hi there,

As far as I can make out, it was in its own parish, adjoining that of St Paul's. The earliest records available are from 1726.

If you have not obtained it already, you may also find this book to be helpful.

Thank you for your reply. I think I may have to invest!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Eileen

I had a look at the holdings for the Irishgeanealogy.ie and they appear to have marriage records for St James online from 1789 - 1896 only.
    https://www.
    irishgenealogy.ie/about/Dublin%20%28RC%29.pdf

You could try contacting them to see if later records exist and where they might be held.

As it is after the time of civil registration and as you have names, date and location of the marriage it could be worth contacting the GRO for Ireland. I believe that some marriages did go unregistered however. Perhaps that is why it doesn't appear on Family search.

Thank you Grisel. I will try to email irishgenealogy. Otherwise it my be just a case of waiting for next batch to appear online.

As I was stuck I looked for a baptism for my James and found what appears to be him at St Michan's RC church in Dublin together with his siblings - parents again James and Catherine Ball nee (O')Brien. Next problem - Only one marriage for James and Catherine O'Brien in Ireland at the right period - married at St Mary's Dublin but Church of Ireland. Nothing's ever easy is it? I'm going round in circles.
    Than you once again.

In4once

Hi I've have info on these people from Dublin James Ball and Catherine Hutchinson and have lots of info on the Hutchinsons from St James St. A descendant of the Hutchinsons who are related to my family by marriage has had me researching these people for years. At present I'm trying to fathom the Hutchinson sons military records. James Ball was possibly from Bow Lane and not son of the above but of James Ball and Eliza Murray of St James Parish bap 26th Apl 1857. I will have to do some digging through my records re details of his death and their child.

In4once

I have spoken to a relative of Catherine's who has a memory of a visitor coming to Castleton for a wedding in mid 1930's, this person had links to James and Catherine she thinks!

In4once

Thanks Grisel for above info by the way!

In4once

Possible 1911 Census indication that there may have been 7 surviving children for this couple rather than just the on e we knew about. Hope eileenb can find these messages!

Dizzy600

Hi In4once,

You could send her a private message. Click on 'eileenb' on her post and up will pop various options, one being send private message and hopefully she will receive it.

Good Luck