Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    terrysfamily

There are also some mention of Ponisi's in the British Newspaper Archives. I have already done the searches. The following links should take you straight to the relevant pages. You will need to purchase credits to access the full articles.

The Royal Cornwall Gazette

Several for Ponisi HERE: https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=ponisi&anysearch=ponisi&county =cornwall%2c%20england&sortorder=score

One for Joseph Ponise HERE:https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=ponise&county=cornwall%2c%20en gland&sortorder=score
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-07-2012 at 7:15 AM. Reason: Urls edited as they are pay per view, although the preview is free.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Found on the Cornwall Online Census Project

You may already have these but just in case

NEWS

FRIDAY, MARCH 28 1851

JOSEPH PONISI, 20, was indicted for feloniously assaulting JOHN VENTON on the highway, stealing from his person, and immediately before and after the robbery using violence. MR. COLLIER was for the prosecution, and MR. COLE for the prisoner.

26 SEPTEMBER 1851, Friday

STEALING FRUIT - On Friday last, at St. Austell, before Sir Joseph Sawle Graves SAWLE, Bart., and MR. GRAHAM, JAMES PONISI, of St. Austell, was convicted of stealing apples and pears growing in the garden of MRS. HODGE, of St. Austell, and was committed to the house of correction at Bodmin to hard labour for the space of three calendar months.

Censuses

https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kayhin/search.html

Search under Ponisi, Ponici and Ponise
    Probably the sons of Joseph Ponisi (Ponizi in 1841 census) and Lydia Kelley i.e. Joseph b. 1831 St. Austell and James b. 1836 St. Austell.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Nankervis View Post
    William Ponisi married Angelina Rivolta 1.10.1839 Plymouth
    Brides father - Anthony Rivolta
    Hi Isambard,
    If your PONISI family are linking up with the RIVOLTA family, you might be interested in keeping in contact with Jonesy, who also has RIVOLTA/RIVOTTA as a surname interest, albeit in London a bit later.

Not exactly a common name....

caubeen

Default james ponesi/pinisi

Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    I am seeking relationships between and information on the following Ponisi families of Devonport and St. Austell. Dates shown are mainly based on Free BMD:

Dominick Ponisi, 1881 census shows b. 1820 Devonport, occupation French Polisher, wife Matilda b. 1822 Devonport. Dominick died Mar 1892 St. Austell, Matilda died June 1899 St. Austell

James Ponisi b. Italy abt 1788, married Mary Newton in Penzance in 1811. They produced at least 3 children - James b. abt 1813 Penzance, Marian b. abt 1824 Devon and Rosina b. abt 1827 Devon. Marian married Alexander Gendall Newton in 1845 Penzance

Joseph Ponisi b. Italy abt 1805, married Lydia Kelley in St. Austell in 1829. They produced at least 11 children in St. Austell. Joseph died December 1878 St. Austell. Lydia died December 1854 St. Austell

Any comments appreciated.
    hiIsimbard, I have a g grand father named james ponesi/pinisi on the 1901 census in belfast he is listed living in Millfield st aged 78 could there be any connection? hope your still on the B/G.? caubeen

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by caubeen View Post
    hiIsimbard, I have a g grand father named james ponesi/pinisi on the 1901 census in belfast he is listed living in Millfield st aged 78 could there be any connection? hope your still on the B/G.? caubeen
    Hi Caubeen,
    I'm still here, from time to time.
    I haven't tried to explore the Belfast Ponisi/Ponesi/Pinisi connections, although there must be some to those in Cornwall and Devon. My interest is mainly on the Ponisi/Newton connections in Cornwall and Devon.

Isambard

Redfan

Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    I am seeking relationships between and information on the following Ponisi families of Devonport and St. Austell. Dates shown are mainly based on Free BMD:

Dominick Ponisi, 1881 census shows b. 1820 Devonport, occupation French Polisher, wife Matilda b. 1822 Devonport. Dominick died Mar 1892 St. Austell, Matilda died June 1899 St. Austell

James Ponisi b. Italy abt 1788, married Mary Newton in Penzance in 1811. They produced at least 3 children - James b. abt 1813 Penzance, Marian b. abt 1824 Devon and Rosina b. abt 1827 Devon. Marian married Alexander Gendall Newton in 1845 Penzance

Joseph Ponisi b. Italy abt 1805, married Lydia Kelley in St. Austell in 1829. They produced at least 11 children in St. Austell. Joseph died December 1878 St. Austell. Lydia died December 1854 St. Austell

Any comments appreciated.
    Hi
    The Ponisi family of St Austell is part of my family tree on my Fathers maternal line. Not sure what I can help you with but Joseph married twice there as his first wife Lydia died.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by Redfan View Post
    Hi
    The Ponisi family of St Austell is part of my family tree on my Fathers maternal line. Not sure what I can help you with but Joseph married twice there as his first wife Lydia died.
    Hello Redfan,
    Thank you for your response.
    Do you have parents of Joseph b. 1805 Italy and James b. 1788 Italy, and were there any other siblings? Any details of Joseph's second marriage after Lydia died? I'm also interested in confirming that Dominick b. abt 1821 Devonport, was another son of James and Mary (Newton) Ponisi and a sibling of James b. 1813 Penzance, Marian b. abt 1824 Devonport and Rosina b. abt 1827 Devonport.

Redfan

Hi
    I need to talk to my sister who has the St Austell Ponisis. Joseph or Guiseppe came from Sicily and later in life returned to Italy but there is, if I remember rightly, a record on Ancestry that shows him trying to get into the US.
    My sister says that there are no Ponisis in Sicily now though how reliable that record is I don't know as any web search will only trawl up people using the web, which leaves potentially a lot of people outside of any such search.
    I will get back to you but Ancestry is a good place to go if you are not already there. The other Ponisi records you mention are possibly Joseph's kids (I think he had 11) shifting around and getting married. My Great Grandmother was Clara Jane Ponisi born in St Austell to Joseph and Lydia.
    I will contact you when I hear back from my sister.

Mary Catherine was my grandmother and John her son my uncle. The link there is from the Ponisi family from Ballycastle and Belfast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12