Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Evans family from Radnorshire.

Jane Evans is my 2X Gt.-Grandmother and married Thomas Digby Fanning on 16 March 1865 in Bloomsbury St. George. They were both of full age and were married after Banns. She named her father as John Evans still living and his occupation was a Farmer.

IF I have the right family, her father married Ann Whilding on 3 April 1833 in St. Harmon, Radnorshire, after Banns.

Jane had an older sister named Ann born abt. 1833 in St Harmon. Jane appears to have been born abt 1836-37 in Llanbadam Fawr, Radnorshire. The 2 girls, along with their parents can be found on the 1841 census at HO107, Piece 1455, Book 1, Folio 11, Page 15 along with a younger sister, Elizabeth age 1 and a Mary Evans age 30 [who may be John's sister]. They reside in Abbey Cwmhir, Radnorshire

In the 1851 census - HO107, Piece 2494, Folio 15, page 6, the entire family including Ann, Jane and Elizabeth have siblings, Mary [age 7] John [age 3] and Thomas [age 9months]. In addition there are 2 children [at nursing] - Edward Griffiths [age 4] and Pryce Griffiths [age 1month] - as well as a 10 year old visitor Margaret Davies. Quite a house-full and obviously quite noisy. Ann is indicated as aged 18 and Jane aged 14. They reside in Gollon, Radnorshire.

The 2 eldest girls leave home after the 1851 census and neither has been found in 1861. Elizabeth also leaves home by 1861 and has not been located either.

1861 census - RG9, Piece 4237, Folio 4, Page 7 - has Mary [aged 16], John [aged 13] and Thomas [aged 10] and a sister named Sarah [aged 7]. Residence is now Abbey Cwmhir, Radnorshire and the father is a farmer of 41 acres.

All census detail - crown copyright TNA

His wife Ann dies on 9 October 1867.

After Jane marries she and Thomas Digby Fanning have only 2 children - Alfred Digby Fanning and Mary Jane [who dies at the age of 2]

I have found several trees on A. and have made contact - and some have indicated that they have no information except names and others have indicated that they've copied info. from my tree but do not have any supporting documentation - including baptisms or birth certificates.

Can the Whiz-kids at B-G assist us?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

In addition to post #1, I have also checked Radnorshire baptisms between 1833 and 1860 on FMP in the areas I feel may be close to the birth places of the children. While there appear to be some names similar to those children, the parents do not match and the only Jane's found do not have a father named John. I also checked for a possible variation of John as Evan as son Thomas, appears to have married and his 1st son was named Evan.

Nothing there either, so were none of them baptized?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

I am able also, to confirm that Jane Fanning formerly Evans died 15 May 1898. Her residence at death was 52 Palace Road, Penge. Her husband was the informant. Rather than Surrey, the Probate Register places the address county as Kent which is obviously incorrect, .

Her age was stated as 65. Maybe hubby was confused?

Administration was granted to her husband Thomas Digby Fanning ad his occupation matches all relevant details of him, so this is definitely the right Jane Evans. Administration granted 20 July 1898

Colin

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I am able also, to confirm that Jane Fanning formerly Evans died 15 May 1898. Her residence at death was 52 Palace Road, Penge. Her husband was the informant. Rather than Surrey, the Probate Register places the address county as Kent which is obviously incorrect, .
    Not necessarily, Colin. It was one of those places that moved...

According to the North West Kent FHS:

Penge was formerly a detached part of Battersea parish in Surrey; created a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1851 and transferred to Beckenham, Kent in 1899.

Perhaps the registrar was just jumping the gun slightly.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Not necessarily, Colin. It was one of those places that moved...

According to the North West Kent FHS:

Penge was formerly a detached part of Battersea parish in Surrey; created a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1851 and transferred to Beckenham, Kent in 1899.

Perhaps the registrar was just jumping the gun slightly.
    And the Registration District, which is how I managed to get the death cert. is Croydon

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    And the Registration District, which is how I managed to get the death cert. is Croydon
    Oh, for goodness sake! They certainly don't make it easy, do they?

Anyway, back to Radnorshire.....

Have you checked the Non-Conformist records as well as Parish records? Just a thought....

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Have you checked the Non-Conformist records as well as Parish records? Just a thought....
    Have not been able to find these on-line, so hope someone has better luck than me!!!

As an aside, John and Ann were married in the Parish Church of St. Harmon, after Banns. Baptisms in a Non-Conformist environment shortly thereafter would seem [to me, anyway,] unlikely.

This is one reason why I am not sure I have the right family

Colin

pippycat

Hi Colin, could this be your Jane in 1861?

1861 166 f97 pg26

Jane Evans 1834 Rhyader general servant
    living with Thomas H Wyatt 1809 Ireland Architect
    wife Isabella 1809 Bole Hill, Staffs
    + their family

living at 77 Great Russell Street, St Georges, Bloomsbury
    - perfect place to meet Thomas Digby Fanning for 1865 marriage!

Rebecca

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Hi Colin, could this be your Jane in 1861?

1861 166 f97 pg26

Jane Evans 1834 Rhyader general servant
    living with Thomas H Wyatt 1809 Ireland Architect
    wife Isabella 1809 Bole Hill, Staffs
    + their family

living at 77 Great Russell Street, St Georges, Bloomsbury
    - perfect place to meet Thomas Digby Fanning for 1865 marriage!

Rebecca
    Quite possible - and if I've read their respective addresses correctly from the marriage cert. both Jane and Thomas were nighbours in 1865 on the same street.

Her age in 1861 puts her year of birth as c. 1834 and Thomas stated her age at 65 in May 1898 which initially I had thought was in error given the family found from 1841 up to and including 1851 [when she was 14]

Looking at census records these are the ages stated [after 1861]:
    1871 - 36 - est. birth year 1835
    1881 - 44 - est. birth year 1837
    1891 - 57 - est. birth year 1834.

Do I have the correct family for 1841?

I still cannot find an appropriate baptism that ties her to John and Ann.

Colin

pippycat

Colin, not sure yet about Jane I'll have a look round for a bap.

Probably can trace the Mother Anne Evans through to 1911, if correct family, she is living with daughter Sarah.

Marriage for Sarah Evans to John Davies march Q 1885 Knighton, Radnor. 11b 168

1911 Wales census:

John Davies 1856 Presteigne, Radnor. Railway Platelayer
    wife Sarah 1854 llandewy, Radnor.
    wed 27 years, 5 children, 4 still living.
    Anne Evans 1829 llandewy. single Mother-in-law
    Living: Coxhead, Llanbister, Radnor

1901 Wales Census 5183 f39 pg5

John Davies Platelayer with Lon W Ry Co.
    wife Sarah
    Anne Evans Wid Mother-in-law

1891 Wales cenus 4583 f41 pg8

John Davies farmer
    wife Sarah
    4 children
    Anne Evans 1831 Llandewy, Radnor. single Mother-in-law Seamstress

But I know its Jane your really after so I'll go searching!

Rebecca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast