ralpheven

Default Edwin George Drake Howard Ancestors

This list has been very helpful to me in finding my ggrandfather Edwin George Drake Howard and his descendants who came to USA in May of 1882. He was the black sheep of the family using the name George Drake in the USA and all the children were named Drakes even though he left a wife in the UK and to my knowledge never married the mother of his children.

I am now trying to find out where the Drake name came from so need to go back from his parents who were:

William Howard b. circa 1801 in Devon, England
    Beatrice Downing b. circa 1796 in Devon, England

He was the third child of 7 from these parents. They were born from 1822 to 1836 all born in Exeter, Devon, England. (census)

The parents were probably married before 1822 in Devon, England

I did find in the UK Parish Register, Church St. Peter: William Howard baptized 11-12-1804 in Devon, Barnstaple. The father’s name was William Howard and the mother’s Elizabeth. Could be correct or not.

I would appreciate any information that someone could find on this family. Thank you very much for at least reading this long message.

Marilyn Drake Evensen

Nankervis

William Howard married Beatrice Downing 24.4.1822 in St Sidwell parish in Exeter.

ralpheven

Was there any other information in this file like ages or names of witnesses?

Thanks again for this information.

Nankervis

No, sorry there was no other information shown other than the marriage date.

Mutley

I believe I can see them in the 1841 and 1851 census.
    Have I the correct Edwin, could you confirm that he moved to London and was married to Kate Bartram?

Mutley

Collection: Devon: Barnstaple - Parish Register, 1538-1812
    Marriage: John Drake and Elizabeth Howard on 25 Apr 1760.

Have yet to work back a connection.
    Of course, you could always be related to Sir Francis Drake, I believe he came from thereabouts.

Edit: Sorry I have just looked at the index to the above marriage again, it is John BLAKE not Drake.
    Last edited by Mutley; 14-07-2012 at 9:57 PM. Reason: Added an Edit

ralpheven

Yes, Mutley, I can confirm that. They were married in 1846 and moved to London.

DOB7

According to the 1851 census, William HOWARD was born ca 1796/7 in Exeter and Beatrice DOWNING was born 1793/4, also Exeter. The family appear to be well educated and William was a police sergeant, so I would believe these ages to be accurate. The 1861 census also reflects these ages, with William now the High Constable:
    Piece: RG9/1397 Place: St David -Devon Enumeration District: 2
    Civil Parish: St Davids Ecclesiastical Parish: St Davids
    Folio: 25 Page: 18 Schedule: 61
    Address: Northernhay Lodge
    Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    HOWARD William Head M M 64 Sergt At Mace Devon - Exeter And High Constable of Exeter
    HOWARD Beatrice Wife M F 67 Devon - Exeter
    THORN Caroline Servnt U F 17 House Servant Devon - Topsham

A Beatrix DOWNING was baptised at St Martin's Exeter 6 Apr 1794, dau of Edward & Beatrix.
    William HOWARD was baptised at St Edmund's Exeter 20 Nov 1796, son of John & Elizabeth.
    A John HOWARD married Elizabeth ABRAHAM a St Thomas, Exeter 28 Apr 1783.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpheven View Post
    This list has been very helpful to me in finding my ggrandfather Edwin George Drake Howard and his descendants who came to USA in May of 1882. He was the black sheep of the family using the name George Drake in the USA and all the children were named Drakes even though he left a wife in the UK and to my knowledge never married the mother of his children.

I am now trying to find out where the Drake name came from so need to go back from his parents who were:

William Howard b. circa 1801 in Devon, England
    Beatrice Downing b. circa 1796 in Devon, England

He was the third child of 7 from these parents. They were born from 1822 to 1836 all born in Exeter, Devon, England. (census)

The parents were probably married before 1822 in Devon, England

I did find in the UK Parish Register, Church St. Peter: William Howard baptized 11-12-1804 in Devon, Barnstaple. The father’s name was William Howard and the mother’s Elizabeth. Could be correct or not.

I would appreciate any information that someone could find on this family. Thank you very much for at least reading this long message.

Marilyn Drake Evensen

ralpheven

Thank you very much for this information. This family continued to be educated as my Edwin G D Howard was a solicitor as well as at least some of his brothers.