cotswold mike

Default Is Jane HAMELTON Jane COX?

The main burden of this query is fostering and adoption in the 19th century, please excuse a couple of “off topic” side issues.

According to his Army records, James HAMELTON (my ancestor) was born about 1798 in Tyrwent, Monaghan, Ireland. Unfortunately I cannot find such a place, or any record of it. Perhaps there has been a transcription error or even an original recording error on the Army's part. Does anyone have any idea what the name of the place should be? James enlisted in the 12th Royal Lancers on 10 Sept 1818, and was attested in Sept 14, 1818. He was murdered in Hampton Court Barracks on 21 Jun, 1838 by Private John Rickey.

James married an Ellan, possibly Ellan Flynn, possibly in Donneraile, Cork in 1833. They had 2 daughters, Jane (1835) and Margaret (1838). It has been suggested that, it was customary, for the Army to encourage a widow to marry another member of the Regiment, but I have been unable to find any such marriage. Would the new born Margaret be an impediment? Especially since soon after the murder, the Regiment were preparing to go to South Africa where they spent some time before moving on to India. Alternatively, did she return to Ireland.

From Dorset OPCs, we have the baptism of James daughter Jane (my ancestor): "8 Nov 1835; Jane HAMELTON (HAMILTON); daughter of James HAMELTON (Sergt. 12th Royal Lancers) & Ellan HAMELTON; Abode - Weymouth Barrracks". What happened to Jane after her father was murdered? Her mother is now a widow with a new born child, Margaret. If Ellan follows her late husband’s regiment to South Africa, would it be better (safer) for the Jane to remain in England? Has she been fostered or adopted and is now the 6-year-old Jane Cox living in Weymouth in 1841. Jane Cox married a George Frederick Cox. The birth certificate of their daughter Amy Bassano Cox records Jane as "Jane Cox formerly HAMILTON". Amy married a William Thick and their son (my father) was christened Arthur HAMILTON Thick.

The evidence that the girl Jane HAMELTON became Jane Cox is strong but is arguably circumstantial. In the mid 19th century was it normal to record fostering and/or adoption in any regularised manner?

And what of Jane’s mother and younger sister, Margaret?

Any help with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cotswold mike; 04-07-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo corrected

gasser

Tyrwent, Monaghan, Ireland. Unfortunately I cannot find such a place, or any record of it. Perhaps there has been a transcription error or even an original recording error on the Army's part. Does anyone have any idea what the name of the place should be?
    Quick search found this village in Monaghan ....Tydavnet.....

Mutley

There is a rootsweb thread regarding your James, though I don't think it tells you anything you do not know.
    Interesting that the feud reference is because both James and John Rickey came from Monaghan.
    https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/FERMANAGH-GOLD/2005-03/1110451749

i suspect that the Hamilton referred to
    was one of the Hamitons of Cornacassa in tydavnet Parish, but this can
    be checked out later. Anyway this hamilton family was located in the
    Carraveetra/Tirnahinch area of Clones and retained lands there. So
    maybe there was some kind of a local feud involved.

Mutley

A bit more of the family on this thread may stop duplication of efforts by members
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...p/t-67378.html

Mutley

Margaret's baptism was at Hampton St Mary, Richmond upon Thames on 17 June (4 days before the death of James)
    The two nearest birth registrations I can see are at Kingston in March 1838.
    It would not cost you any money to try for these two registrations stipulating father's name or fathers occupation.
    At best it could give you Ellan's exact name.

cotswold mike

Reading between the lines of the trial report, Rickey was being bullied by the CSM and had gone berserk. James Hamilton was trying to pacify him and got shot by mistake. Rickey immediately expressed remorse, saying Hamilton was the wrong person (ie wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Mutley

I read the Old Bailey Trial details and it does say, as you say "(ie wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time)."

But the interesting part of the roots web thread was the location given for the Hamilton family. They are there, some directories appear on line for them, long after the death of James. Seem to be a well to do family and might be worth trying to track back.

It does not help with his daughters though.
    Do you have the marriage certificate of Jane Cox and George Frederick Cox?

cotswold mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    ... But the interesting part of the roots web thread was the location given for the Hamilton family. They are there, some directories appear on line for them, long after the death of James. Seem to be a well to do family and might be worth trying to track back. .... Do you have the marriage certificate of Jane Cox and George Frederick Cox?
    The mechanics of getting into roots web is still a barrier but that will be solved - eventually

The freeBMD entry is "Brighton 2b 326 (Cox, George Esquire & Cox, Jane Ann)". Frederick George Cox was very clearly a "self made man", perhaps with some justification because we have found a clear path back to the musicians at the court of Henry V111 (daughter's name is Amy Bassano Cox). There were family myths connecting Jane with the Dukes of Hamilton (her grandson was named Arthur Hamilton Thick). Up until now we had dismissed these as social pretensions. But a likely connection with Hameltons in Ireland changes that perspective. Rest assured it will be followed through.

Cotswold Mike pp Val

J

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by cotswold mike View Post
    The mechanics of getting into roots web is still a barrier but that will be solved - eventually

Cotswold Mike pp Val

J
    Copy and paste the lines below (without spaces) into google or any other search engine and the relevant thread should appear.

https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/FERMANAGH-GOLD/2005-03/1110451749

I cannot make it a link that you can click from here because we are not allowed to use a direct link to sites that have advertising.

If you use firefox you should be able to highlight the two lines, right click with the mouse and on the pop up box that appears is a 'Search with Google' option. Try that. Only one site appears and it is the one you want.

cotswold mike

Many thanks for that, we are now subscribing to that mailing list.