Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ttnut

Default CHILD/CHILDS family of Saundersfoot area

Hi fellow researchers

I wonder if anyone can help? I have done quite a lot of research on the Childs family but am stuck re finding ancestors of John Child b 1796 who married Ann Smith 26th October 1816 at St Issells, the parish church of Saundersfoot area. If anyone could tell me from parish register info, the names of John and Ann's parents that would help a lot.

I did find a possible baptism (on a commercial site) re Ann Smith, dated 27th September 1795, parents being a William and Elizabeth Smith, Ann's marriage details would possibly confirm if I am on the right track with her.

John and Ann are on the 1841 census in Saundersfoot and lived at Little Churchton, Saundersfoot. I believe Ann died in 1843 and the 1851 census shows John as a widower (still at Little Churchton). I don't know if Little Churchton was a hamlet or just the name of the house in the parish of St Issells.

Anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Ever hopeful
    ttnut
    Last edited by ttnut; 03-07-2012 at 3:13 PM. Reason: Font showing at end of post

Orielbenfro

I can find no reference to the mrge of a William Smi(y)th to an Elizabeth Unknown circa 1780~1800 that fits your requirements in the St Issells to Tenby area.
    I do note the mrge of a Thomas Smith to an Elizabeth Childs at Tenby in 1792 and a Thomas Smyth to Elizabeth Jacob in 1792 at Amroth.
    My own connection to the extensive Child(s) family of the area comes via Henry Childs who mrd Alice Oriel sometime prior to 1755 in Pembrokeshire. Henry Child was the executor of the will of Thomas Oriel of Tenby in 1776. Henry died at Amroth 16 Dec 1805. Henry’s will was probated at the E.C.C. of St David’s in 1806 and is available for free at the N.L. of W.;
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...=profeb&lng=en

From my database of all and every names, places, relationships and status in every will proven for the parish of St Issells 1554 to 1858 at the E.C.C. of St David’s, I note the surname Childs in many and varied early 17th century wills, but more important perhaps are those in late 18th and early 19th century wills, plus there are a good number Smi(y)th wills not least the will of William Smyth of Tregalled St Issell’s a Gentleman who makes reference to his wife Elizabeth Harriot Smyth in his will made 25 Apr 1833 and probated 05 Apr 1843. Of interest also may be the will of John Smith of Cooksyeat St Issell’s made 19 Mar 1781 probated 16 June 1781. I do note the surnames Child(e)(s) and Smi(y)th(e) also quoted as relations in wills of other surnamed people, but will not swamp you with probable unrelated info at this time.
    You will perhaps note the will of Alice Childs of Amroth this is of course Alice nee’ Oriel the widow of Henry Childs.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

ttnut

Hi Orielbenfro

Thank you so much for the prompt and very interesting info. I will look at Henry Child's will, thank you for that.

The baptism I found re Ann Smith took place in the Begelly area which I imagine is covered by the St Issells parish? Obviously with a surname of Smith, even in Wales it may be difficult to find the correct Smith family. Is the NLW the only place I can get a copy of the wedding certificate between Ann and John Child so that I can confirm Ann's father's name? I believe John Child was a miner so I don't imagine he married someone from a well to do family!

Best wishes
    ttnut

Orielbenfro

Default Parihes of St Issells and Begelly

Quote Originally Posted by ttnut View Post
    the Begelly area which I imagine is covered by the St Issells parish?
    Begelly is very much a parish in its own right and borders St Issells Parish, which as you know contains the hamlet of Saundersfoot, which has never been a parish.

Suggest you may find the following of use ;
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/StIssells/

A free parish map of Pembrokeshire will help with parish relationships & can be downloaded from the Pembroke Record Office web site ;
    https://search.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/s...&sw=parish+map

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by ttnut View Post
    Is the NLW the only place I can get a copy of the wedding certificate between Ann and John Child
    There are no such things as Mrge Certificates pre Sept of 1837 and the introduction of Civil Registration. Prior to that date you only have mrge entries in Parish Registers and they do not contain parents or fathers names. Parish Registers evolved from circa 1757 with changes at circa 1800, 1813, and 1837, dependent at what point and year a parish could afford an upgrade in its documents.

Some Vicars where very anti-establishment and declined to use and record more and more info on their flock as required by law. This relates very much to Quaker, Jewish and Non-conformist, for which there is very little here in Pembroke.

Libraries have usefull 'how to' genealogical research books, I have used "Village Records" by John West for nigh on 20+ yrs although it appertains to an english village, it is just as usefull for welsh research.

Location of separate parish registers of your interest can be seen at the Free Genuki website sent previous, but you will find everything and more you require at the Pembs R.O., but during their change over keep a close eye on their website for closures.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

ttnut

Thanks very much for the clarification, I've downloaded the parish map which is useful. I should have said 'copy of parish register entry' rather than marriage certificate. I didn't realise Pembs R.O. had the parish registers, so I must definitely visit, but will bear in mind possible closures. Maybe I can find John Child's birth in the registers too, that would be great.

Thanks again
    ttnut

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Orielbenfro View Post
    I have used "Village Records" by John West for nigh on 20+ yrs although it appertains to an english village, it is just as usefull for welsh research.
    Yes, it and 'Town Records' are really excellent books, aren't they? Mine are packed up in boxes at the moment, like most of my books, but I do miss them.

Orielbenfro, I hope you don't mind me venturing into Pembrokeshire (about which I know nothing, except for fond childhood memories of visiting grandparents in Haverfordwest) to tell ttnut about this blog I found when googling:

https://
    snorbens.wordpress.com/about/

In a post dated 9/05/2011 the blogger talks about a John Child being at Little Churchton on the 1843 tithe award: do you know, Orielbenfro, if there's a surviving tithe map which might show exactly where he was living?

ttnut

Hi Coromandel

Thank you so much for the link, I haven't read it all yet, but it looks fascinating, my Child/s were almost all miners so this could be of great interest to my research.

ttnut

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    if there's a surviving tithe map which might show exactly where he was living?
    I believe the best set of full Tythe Maps with apportionments are held at Kew(National Archives). I think N.L. of W. has a nigh on full set of both.

Pembs R.O. has certain Tythe Maps and certain Apportionments, but only a limited amount of both for same parishes, their tythe map holdings, should be listed on the Pembs R.O. website under their Catalogue.
    I shall be at the R.O. tomorrow (Friday) and can have a check for you for Amroth and St Issells if required.

Whilst using the Tythe map I normally also use the L.T.A.'s which cover circa 1783 - circa 1835 dependent on parish, which at least gives some good idea of how long prior to the 1837-42 Tythe Map families held leases within parishes.

Some idea of how usefull the L.T.A.'s can be, can be seen from the following free research link ;
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html
    From the content you may well recognise the author.

If you have not done so already, I would trawl through Dai Bevan's work at ;
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

ttnut

Quote Originally Posted by Orielbenfro View Post
    I believe the best set of full Tythe Maps with apportionments are held at Kew(National Archives). I think N.L. of W. has a nigh on full set of both.

Pembs R.O. has certain Tythe Maps and certain Apportionments, but only a limited amount of both for same parishes, their tythe map holdings, should be listed on the Pembs R.O. website under their Catalogue.
    I shall be at the R.O. tomorrow (Friday) and can have a check for you for Amroth and St Issells if required.

Whilst using the Tythe map I normally also use the L.T.A.'s which cover circa 1783 - circa 1835 dependent on parish, which at least gives some good idea of how long prior to the 1837-42 Tythe Map families held leases within parishes.

Some idea of how usefull the L.T.A.'s can be, can be seen from the following free research link ;
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html
    From the content you may well recognise the author.

If you have not done so already, I would trawl through Dai Bevan's work at ;
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/

Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    Hi Thank you very much for your offer. It would be very much appreciated if you have time tomorrow to look up John Child and Ann Smith's marriage dated I believe 26/10/1816 at St Issells. If any address of either is given and/or names of witnesses if not parents names could be useful.

I have spoken to Pembs R.O. and they have advised I can purchase a copy of the St Issells tithe and apportionment map of C 1840 from the NLW, which I am going to organise as apparently John Child paid £5 5s 0d in 1843 to the Hean Castle Estate for the rent of a cottage, garden and 3 acres of fields at Churchton (his area being known as Little Churchton).

Thanks very much
    ttnut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast