Mick19

Default Alfred Thomas Knight died when & where?

Alfred Thomas Knight born 3 May 1908, Lebrina, Tasmania. Graduated Victoria Police Depot 18 Dec 1928, stationed at Werrimull 1936, Ouyen 1937, Werrimull 1942, resigned 20 Dec 1945. 5 Apr 1938 married Jessie Doris McCallum 1918-1987. Two children, 1941 and 1943-1947. Divorced 1944. Partner Mona Elvie Maureen Waterhouse 1912-2002, one child born 1946. On 1 Jun 1946 he Married Florence Amelia Green 1907-1972. Electoral rolls place him at Apollo Bay, Victoria, in 1963, 1968 & 1972, last entry lists him as residing at 19 Pascoe Street, Apollo Bay, employed as a barman.
    Several family trees have him listed, but no one knows where, when or how he died. No trace at BMD and searches on genealogy sites. It appears he has simply disappeared without record. Have lots of records of his parents, grandparents etc.
    Can anyone please help?
    Mick19
    Last edited by Jan1954; 02-07-2012 at 7:11 AM. Reason: Details of possibly living people removed.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Guessing you have checked all states BMD.He may have died pre 1972 but his name was still on rolls.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mick19 View Post
    Alfred Thomas Knight born 3 May 1908, Lebrina, Tasmania.

Electoral rolls place him at Apollo Bay, Victoria, in 1963, 1968 & 1972, last entry lists him as residing at 19 Pascoe Street, Apollo Bay, employed as a barman.

Can anyone please help?
    Mick19
    Assuming he was still alive in 1972 when the the Electoral Rolls were compiled, and gainfully employed, have you checked business directories for Apollo Bay - Pub's, Restaurants and Hotels where he may have been employed?

How large a community was Apollo Bay? Could he have been employed in a nearby larger community? You have probably explored these avenues but if not it is a suggestion - pure and simple and hopefully not too difficult from your location

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Google Apollo Bay HS, may be able to help.As a barman he would be well known in town,maybe involved with sporting clubs.

Mick19

Hi, Warncoort & Colin, Had sent email inquiries to Hotels in Apollo Bay, BMD's no help, even going back extra ten years before 1972. Have now sent email to Apollo Bay Historical Society with full info on Alfred, might get results. By coincidence, when I contacted Carol's Headstones web site, she has just finished photos of Apollo Bay Cemetery, to be posted on web tonight, she has photo of his wife's headstone, but not him, he is still hiding somewhere?
    Thanks for help, hope somebody out there knows of him.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, regarding Alfred Thomas Knight, born 1908 at Ledrina. He was a friend of my mother in law and passed away on 15th October 1991 at Brentwood Nursing Home, Parramatta as a result of an earlier stroke. He was cremated at Rookwood Crematorium, Sydney.

Mick19

Default Alfred Thomas Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanne View Post
    Hi, regarding Alfred Thomas Knight, born 1908 at Ledrina. He was a friend of my mother in law and passed away on 15th October 1991 at Brentwood Nursing Home, Parramatta as a result of an earlier stroke. He was cremated at Rookwood Crematorium, Sydney.
    Hi Bevanne,
    Are you able to supply any further personal information regarding Alfred Thomas Knight?
    I realize he married/partnered several women during his lifetime, but curious as to his life when he was in Sydney, what he did for work, socializing, where he lived and with who etc, also any photos or other info would be greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Mick Wallis
    Geelong

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Mick, found a photo. Unsure how to post it.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Mick, Unfortunately I originally replied as an email which was incorrect. Yes, “Tom”, as we knew him, liked ladies’ company. He was married to my m in law’s sister, then divorced, then became friends with my widowed m in law and lived with her for some time. They both did an evening cleaning job at a timber yard, and enjoyed the last Women’s Weekly world cruise together. He suffered a stroke and had to be admitted to a nursing home because he could no longer speak or walk. He was there a month or so, but passed away peacefully from complications. He often spoke of Apollo Bay and still communicated with friends there. He told some stories of his earlier life, apparently being at the opening of Parliament when with the police force, and, mysteriously, spoke about being in New Guinea during WW2, but under an assumed name? He only mentioned from memory, a step daughter. May I ask your interest in him? I have found a photo of him in the early 80’s but don’t know how to attach it. Contact me again if I can help further.

Mick19

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanne View Post
    Dear Mick, Unfortunately I originally replied as an email which was incorrect. Yes, “Tom”, as we knew him, liked ladies’ company. He was married to my m in law’s sister, then divorced, then became friends with my widowed m in law and lived with her for some time. They both did an evening cleaning job at a timber yard, and enjoyed the last Women’s Weekly world cruise together. He suffered a stroke and had to be admitted to a nursing home because he could no longer speak or walk. He was there a month or so, but passed away peacefully from complications. He often spoke of Apollo Bay and still communicated with friends there. He told some stories of his earlier life, apparently being at the opening of Parliament when with the police force, and, mysteriously, spoke about being in New Guinea during WW2, but under an assumed name? He only mentioned from memory, a step daughter. May I ask your interest in him? I have found a photo of him in the early 80’s but don’t know how to attach it. Contact me again if I can help further.
    Hi Bevanne, Thanks again for your quick reply, and some good information.
    I am not related to Alfred Thomas Knight, the connection is this....
    Lawrence Knight b.24 Feb 1941, is his son. Lawrence and I joined the Victoria Police Force in 1962 and have been close friends ever since, consequently, I have helped him via my Ancestry Family web site to locate details of his missing father, who Lawrence hadn't seen since his father divorced in 1944. Lawrence didn't know whether his father was alive or dead until our research in 2008 revealed his death in 1991 and burial at Rookwood. The rest of his father's life was mostly a mystery, apart from several marriages, divorces and defactos that we unearthed from Ancestry records.
    I have taken the liberty of phoning Lawrence with your information, as well as emailing a copy of your emails to me.
    He is very interested in further info on his father, and if you would like to contact Lawrence, his email is dragonloftATbigpondDOTcom
    Lawrence has two old photos of his father taken in 1908, and would be very happy if he could get a copy of your 1980 photo. Perhaps you could scan it into your computer and email it to him?
    As far as we can establish, Alfred Thomas Knight, married Jessie Doris McCallum in 1939,divorced 1944 due to his relationship with Mona Elvie Waterhouse (Glennie) resulting in a son. He married Florence Amelia Green 1948 in Apollo Bay. After she died he married Joyce Grigg 1973, divorced 1976, became engaged to her sister Thelma Jan Grigg 1979.
    I am assuming that the Grigg sisters are the mother in law etc you refer to. So technically, Lawrence is a very distant relative of yours via several marriages??

If you want I can forward a free link for you to see all those relatives on my Ancestry Tree?
    Hope all that makes sense,
    Reghards
    Michael Wallis
    Geelong
    Last edited by christanel; 09-08-2020 at 9:43 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam.