Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Big Bill Campbell

Seeking information on music hall & radio performer "Big Bill Campbell" who I am led to believe died during a tour of Ipswich, Suffolk in 1952. Any help appreciated

Mutley

You can see and hear him if you wish. A Canadian who settled in England.
    I am sure we can still post You Tube links.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcZpSeXyYQ

Added to the comments is an email address for his grandson.

I can see from rootschat that you have been given his real name of Zeke (Ezekiel ?) Winters

Mutley

I cannot see a death registration for him under any of the variations of his name in 1952 in Suffolk.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I cannot see a death registration for him under any of the variations of his name in 1952 in Suffolk.
    Though maybe there is one.....
    According to this link where there is lots of information about him
    https://
    mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=10546

"Clarence Church Campbell is buried in the churchyard at Littlebury on the Cambridgeshire/Essex borders"
    so this may be his death registration.
    June 1952 age 61 (1891) at Ipswich. 4b/691

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    If you Google "Big Bill Cambell" (use the inverted commas) there are a lot of results including reference to rootschat. I've not read through them but I'm sure if you read some of the results you'll be able to build a picture of the man.
    Hi Graham
    Thanks for replying to my post. I have googled extensively and copied all details found; I am interested in the groups girl singer namely "Peggy Bailey" who Bill Campbell married later. Unfortunately there is very little mentioned on her which is why I chose to post here, you never know, a fan, even a relative, just might read my request.
    Best regards, Roy

Starting to feel at home

Hi Mutley
    I have done the usual, Google, YouTube etc and trying to seek more info. I should have stated though it is the girl singer of his group namely Peggy Bailey who I am most interested and hope that someone, somewhere just might read my request and get in touch. Bill Campbell's real name was Clarench Church Campbell, aka Zeke Winters, aka Big Bill Campbell and likewise Peggy Bailey was named Pearl Williams at birth and I assume Peggy Bailey was her stage name.
    Regards, Roy

Mutley

On the mudcat link I gave you, the thread has quite a few entries regarding Peggy from people that knew her and her family.
    Several members have given email addresses to make contact regarding both Peggy and Bill. You may be one of the posters.

Children, places she lived, a husband's name and her death date of 24th of December 2004 are given.

There is a death registration for a Peggy Eileen Bailey in Stoke on Trent, Staffs in March 2005.
    Birth date is given as 29 Nov 1942. It would depend who registered the death and which name they knew her by.
    You may be able to tell if it is her by the birth date though I would have thought this Peggy to be a bit young.

Starting to feel at home

I have read through all the entries on 'mudcat' and I am working my way through the details attempting to locate any relatives. I am very grateful for your help.

Best Regards
    Roy

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a death registration for a Peggy Eileen Bailey in Stoke on Trent, Staffs in March 2005.
    Birth date is given as 29 Nov 1942. It would depend who registered the death and which name they knew her by.
    You may be able to tell if it is her by the birth date though I would have thought this Peggy to be a bit young.
    Thinking about it, I don't think this death is your Peggy. In 1942 she was probably 'sweetly' singing away!

Have you tried the online auction sites or old book shops, flea markets. They may have old copies of the Radio Times for sale. I believe Will's cigarettes had 'radio celebrities' albums with pictures and a brief history of the stars.
    You never know your luck, she may be one of them.
    Possibly old theatre bills or programs may have something. I also know there is a theatrical site, it's pay per view and I cannot remember the name but many members have found their ancestors listed there.

Starting to feel at home

Peggy died 2004
    Thanks for all suggestions, much appreciated; something to keep me occupied on a wet day.
    Regards, Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast