Default NERWICH AND JACOBS LINES

This post provides further data on the Myer Nerwich and Jacobs family connections through marriages. A paper written by Debbie Bozkurt one of my Jacobs cousins and posted on the Jacobstree website provides significant data on the connections including reference to a range of primary sources. I will add new data to the original materials which may be of interest to both UK and overseas relatives.
    In very brief summary and to provide a context for the Nerwich/Jacobs and others connections Myer ( Michael) Nerwich originated from Posen b abt 1772- died in Birmingham 18 Oct 1857. Myer was married to Theresa ( surname not known) 1783-1856 ( she had died in Dublin where Myer had settled and established a business). The GRO Death Index records- Myer Nerwich Dec qtr 1857 Kings Norton 6c 268. The Court of the Commission for Sale of Incumbent Estates in Ireland records- In the matter of the estate of Myer Nerwich, Assignee of Andrew Wm Feruson: Owner 31 March 1857 Dublin- sale of land and premises Rockfield and Bally brack Lodge Dublin.The British Jewry Data for Betholom Row Cemetery Birmingham records Moses Nerwich Oct 18 1957 age 85 burial.
    Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland 1846 records M Nerwich and Son wholesale French and English fancy warehouse and watch makers and jewellers 12 Crow St Dublin and Henry Nerwich Jeweller ( M Nerwich and Son). Further records show the involvement of Myer Nerwich as the Vice President of the Dublin Jewish Congregation. The London Gazette Friday Sept 8 1828 has the dissolution of the partnership between Myer Nerwich of Dublin and Abraham Nerwich of Birmingham jewellers and dealers in fancy articles. I will list the children of Myer and Theresa is a further posting to identify the individuals named earlier in this post.
    The UK National Archives contain a brief description of the Naturalisation Papers for Myer Nerwich from Posen issued 7 April 1845 and for Abraham Nerwich from Posen 26 Nov 1844.

I will describe the Nerwich and Jacobs connections in the next post.
    Phillip

Default PHILIP D JACOBS AND HARRIETTE MATILDA NERWICH

In this follow up post I will add new data on the marriage of Philip D Jacobs and Harriette Matilda Nerwich. Myer Nerwich and his wife Theresa had two sons- Henry 1803-1883 and Abraham 1795-1875. Henry married Jane Elizabeth Jacobs 1820-1896 daughter of Philip Jacobs. They were married in the Great Synagogue 11 May 1842 and settled in Dublin. Abraham married Clara Aaron 1806-1872 and settled in Birmingham. Henry and Jane had 7 children including Harriette Matilda born 1856 Dublin. She married her 1st cousin Philip D Jacobs son of David Jacobs- The Times Mon Aug 21 1871- Philip D Jacobs eldest son of the late David Jacobs of 33 Haymarket to Harriett Nerwich second daughter of Henry Nerwich 1 Upper Leeson St- Hanover Square Rooms. The Times Sat March 3 1883 records the death of Henry Nerwich- On 28 ult at his residence 16 Howley Place Maida Hill West Henry Nerwich formerly of Dublin in his 80th year.
    During the late 1890s Philip D Jacobs became bankrupt and by the 1901 census he was living alone from his wife Harriette. By the 1911 census there appears to be no trace of Harriette but Philip is a lodger living alone in 1 room - his own account for the census records: Philip David Jacobs lodger 62 Married 42 years 5 children all alive Commission Agent birthplace 33 Haymarket London works at home- 39 Blomfield Road Paddington Maida Vale - Piece 38 ( Crown Copyright, TNA).
    One of the sons of Harriette and Philip was David Ernest Jacobs b 1874 Paddington- further research shows the Probate Record for a Harriett Matilda JAMES or JACOBS of Fitzroy House Regency Square Brighton Widow -died 6 Jan 1930 at St.Georges Home Hurstpierpoint Sussex. Admin to Ernest James Chartered Accountant £591-6s 10d.
    The 1911 census shows Ernest James 37 single chartered accountant b Paddington own account -boarder Palmera Towers Hotel Westcliff South end on Sea - Piece 10129 ( Crown Copyright, TNA). I will post data on the 1901 census for Ernest but the indication is that he is David Ernest Jacobs son of Harriette and Philip who adopted the surname James which was also adopted by his mother for unknown reasons.
    The GRO Death Index records show -Philip D Jacobs Dec qtr 1923 age 76 Lambeth 1d 251.
    The separation of Harriette and Philip pre 1901 census and later suggests that the marriage had failed and the probate record suggests Harriette and her son David had adopted an alias surname of James. I will post additional data on the families as I research further.
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM NERWICH-CLARA AARON

In the Debbie Bozkurt report on the Jacobstree website reference is made to Abraham Nerwich 1795 -1875 as the son of Myer Nerwich. However, in the publication " Lender to the Lords, giver to the poor" Gerry Black,1992 Valentine Mitchell, Black says" Abraham Nerwich, president of the Birmingham Congregation in 1837, was the brother of Meyer Nerwich..... the Nerwich family were closely allied to the long established Aarons, the Birmingham pawnbrokers, one of whom married a daughter of Meyer Nerwich". Currently, I have not seen a confirmed family tree of Myer Nerwich but the dates of his own birth compared to those of Abraham suggest he was the father and not a brother.
    Abraham Nerwich married Clara Aaron daughter of David Aaron 1772-1842 ( wife Matilda). David was a pencil maker and pawnbroker in Birmingham and one record states he was the nephew of Samuel Solomon of Cork.
    The Records of the Franklin Family and Collaterals- Arthur Ellis Franklin, London 1915 show a family tree in which John Aaron 1814-1886 was married first to Harriet Nerwich a sister of Abraham Nerwich. She died in 1850 and her daughter Matilda died in 1851 age 11. John Aaron re- married to Dinah Benjamin.
    It appears from further data that at least one descendant of the Abraham Nerwich line migrated to Canada and then to the USA. i will post data on this line.
    Phillip

Default JOHN AARON-HARRIET NERWICH

The 1841 Census has: 9 Colmouth Birmingham -John Aaron 25 pawnbroker b in County; Harriet Aaron 25 Foreign Birth -H0107 1144 2 32 22 ( Crown Copyright,TNA). The GRO Marriage Index has March qtr 1840 Birmingham 16 337 -John Aaron and Harriet NORWICK. The History gazetteer and directory of Warwickshire Birmingham Trade List 1850 records- Nerwich and Aaron 12 Colmore Row Warwickshire
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

synagoguescribes.com has this entry that includes John AARON and Abraham NERWICH:
    Jewish Will Extracts 18th – 19th Century
    Will Extract
    AARON Maria
    Reference NA006
    Family Name AARON
    Forenames Maria
    Probate Date 1857 (18 Mar)
    Address Edgbaston Street, Birmingham
    Occupation Widow
    Spouse
    Parents
    Siblings
    Children: Henry, Isaac (clothier of Edgbaston Street), Maurice pawnbroker of Cheapside Birmingham, John pawnbroker of Colmore Row Birmingham, Emma, Julia wife of Jacob Myers pawnbroker of Bordesley Street Birmingham, Clara wife of Abraham Nerwich Gentleman of George Street Birmingham.
    Grandchildren: Saul Spiers Watchmaker of New Street Birmingham
    Other Relatives
    Bequests
    Executors, Administrators : John Aaron and Abraham Nerwich
    Witnesses: Solomon Sucks and William Cooke

Notes
    Maria nee Myers (1784-1857) was the wife of David Aaron (1772-1842) the son of Solomon and Abigail Aaron of Birmingham (see Franklin, Records 1915, p. 65). According to the Census of 1851 Sarah Myers (Survey 1851, ID. 4241) of Portsmouth was staying with her grandmother Maria Aaron of 18-19 Edgbaston Street, Birmingham. The parents of Sarah were Jacob Myers and Maria�s daughter Juliana Aaron. It is possible that Jacob Myers, born Strasburg 1810 (Betholom Row Cemetery, Birmingham) was also a relative and perhaps his father Myer Myers was Maria�s brother.
    NA Cat Ref: Prob 11/2247

I've been trying to untangle this John AARON from another John AARON, also a pawnbroker in Birmingham, but whose parents were Solomon AARON and Abigail. The latter one seems to be he who was reported as the uncle of Sarah LAZARUS when she married Abraham LYON in Birmingham in 1824. (Aris's Birmingham Gazette, 22 November 1824, p.3, col.2.)
    John sister Elizabeth AARON married Lewis Henry LAZARUS, son of Henry and Parla Lazarus of London 20 June 1811 (synagoguescribes.com). John Aaron is with his widowed sister Elizabeth Lazarus in the 1841 census and I'd long assumed that Sarah Lazarus was a daughter of Elizabeth. But if so, why married in Birmingham, and why identified as the niece of John Aaron rather than as the daughter of Lewis Henry Lazarus? And therefore, who might her parents have been? She is part of a LAZARUS of Birmingham puzzle I'm trying to unknot (or tie up?).
    Eve

Hi Eve
    I am trying to puzzle out the relationships and noted that Sophia Aaron who married George Alexander was a niece of Maria ( see NA 008 Aaron Aarons). I have researched the Aaron Aarons line in some depth and posted data some years ago.
    Sophia's parents were John Aaron 1800-1860 =Matilda Solomon 1794-1849 Nb based on 1 Ancestry public family tree. Sophia was born in Birmingham. The surname Aaron/Aarons appears interchangeable.

You might want to check the Sophia line in terms of relationships to Aaron/Lazarus to see if this produces any further links.

I will look further.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default AARON(S) and LAZARUS of Birmingham

Hi Phil,
    I think I may have posted previously about a number of people whose family name had been LAZARUS (one changing his name to LIZARS and the women changing name by marrying; were, or might have been, from Birmingham; and were connected by marital, business or census ties, some of them to two (possibly three) other Lazarus families that I believe were related to one another (one being my Exeter family).

Rebecca Lazarus "of Birmingham" (1798-1844) married Joseph Woolfe Cohen of Dublin and London. ("of Birmingham" is from Susser's extracts of Jessop's history of the Joseph family.

Henry (Aharon b.Eliezer) Lazarus (c.1808-1868), a London jeweller, married Fanny/Frances BARNETT in London in 1841. There were also Lazarus jewellers of Portsmouth in Dublin around the same time.

Phoebe LAZARUS (c.1802-1873), born Birmingham, married Nathan Jacob CALISHER. (info from census records and GRO birth records of children)

In 1841, Isaac (Yitzaak b. Eliezer) Lazarus, optician, not born in Middlesex, was in the London household of Phoebe and Nathan Calisher. Isaac moved to Scotland and over time changed his name to John LIZARS. On John's marriage certificates his father is given as Lewis Lizars, but I've found no other evidence of anyone with that name. (The optical business he established still exists, though no longer in the family.) He married (1)Ellen SOLOMON and had three children with her; (2)Eliza LYON (c.1831-1869) in Portsmouth. (She died at the time of birth of their 2nd daughter.) Eliza was born in Plymouth. Her parents were Solomon LYON and Fanny LAZARUS, daur of Mark Lazarus of Portsmouth. Fanny's aunt, Matilda Lyon, married Lyon Lazarus of Exeter (one of my pairs of of Lazarus 3x gr grandparents).

Elizabeth LAZARUS 'of Handsworth' (c.1803-1863) married David DAVIS, a Glasgow optician. (various [reliable] people have given this information, but I haven't been able to find a source. However, David DAVIS had business associations that connect him up to other Lazarus families, part of which is the Glasgow (also Dublin) optical connection.)

Apart from John Lizars's marriage to a niece of my ancestor Matilda, there are other marriage connections between the above people.

Henry Lazarus was reported in a court case as being both nephew and business partner of Joseph W.Cohen. This appears to have been through Joseph's wife, in which case Henry's father Lewis would have been Rebecca's brother.
    Henry and Fanny Lazarus's son Julius married Phoebe and Nathan Calisher's daughter Julia. Their granddaughter Alice (nee Lazarus) SAMUEL married Howard Arthur LAZARUS/ LAURANCE, a grandson of Matilda Lyon and Lyon Lazarus above (and therefore some kinda cousin of John Lizar's 2nd wife).

Then we have Lewis Henry Lazarus, son of Henry Lazarus pencil maker of London, who I believe (but can't prove) to have been a brother of my ancestor Moses Lazarus of Exeter.
    <1828 - Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore intended to have been entered into between the undersigned, Lewis Henry Lazarus (acting for and on the part and behalf of his Son, Henry Lazarus, a minor), of Bevis -Marks, in the City of London, Pencil-Manufacturer, and Abraham Lyon and Nathan Jacob Calisher, both of Birmingham, in the County of Warwick, Jewellers and Gilt Toy-Manufacturers, by the name, stile, and firm of Lyon, Calisher, and Co. so far as the same may or might have been considered entered into, was on this day dissolved: As witness out hands. -- Dated this 26th day of December 1828.
    L.H. Lazarus. A. Lyon. N.J. Calisher.
    [the London Gazette, Part 1]

So where does the AARON family come into this, you may be wondering? Aha! Lewis Henry Lazarus's wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Solomon (pencil-maker) AARON and Abigail. (John AARON, Elizabeth's brother, was with her in London at the time of the 1841 census, though John's wife was in Birmingham with their kids.)I think there are more marriages between members of this Lazarus family of London and the Aaron family of Birmingham, but I'm only seeing that now.
    When I came across the marriage notice for Sarah LAZARUS, niece of John AARON, to Abraham LYON (the third business partner with Nathan Calisher and Lewis Henry Lazarus above, presumably), I assumed that Sarah was a (previously unrecorded) daughter of Elizabeth (nee Aaron) and Lewis Henry Lazarus. But looking at the details mentioned (and those omitted), I think this is unlikely. She isn't included in a family tree for Henry Pencilmaker Lazarus and his wife Parla that I was given years ago that so far has proved correct (but probably created using the same sources I've had access to since, including synagogue marriage records and Parla's will). It also seems very unlikely that Sarah would have been married in Birmingham and reported as John Aaron's niece rather than Lewis Henry Lazarus's daughter.

My speculation is that Sarah Lazarus's father had been another Birmingham Lazarus and was deceased by the time of Sarah's marriage, possibly the Lewis who was father of Henry Lazarus and/or John Lizars. (In which case, she may have been quite young, but married to an older man to give her security?)

I've thought for years that John Lizars must have been related to my Exeter/Plymouth tribe. By coincidence, I ran into the man who'd recently bought up the optical business in Scotland (of all freak chances, in a pub in Toronto) and given all the opticians in my tribe it seemed very like to both of us. Now I'm working with Geoffrey Ballantine, a descendent of John Lizars and Eliza Lyons (so some sort of cousin of mine at least through the Lyon family). He's been trying really hard to find out who this John Lizars was when he was still Isaac Lazarus. DNA evidence show him connected to the AARON family. But how????

Another details we've added to our box of clues is that each of the Lazarus folk apparently connected to Birmingham (apart from Sarah, children unknown) - Rebecca Cohen, Phoebe Calisher, Henry Lazarus, John Lizars and Elizabeth Davis - had a daughter named Julia, or a variant of that. I won't go into who had how many daughters and which Julias were first-born, etc, but the pattern suggests a matriarch named Julia. (curiously, my other 3x gr grparents were Eleazer and Julia, and many Julias followed, but they can't be a Lewis /Eleazer and Julia of Birmingham.)

So, who was Sarah Lazarus, a niece of John Aaron? (And did she have a daughter Julia?). I haven't finished going through Arthur Ellis Franklin's work, so I may find more links in that, but I don't think there's more than one Lazarus by name mentioned (maybe descendants by another?). I'd love to know if you turn up anything. (In the meantime, there's real life I have to attend to.)

Cheers, Eve

<Eliza was born in Plymouth. Her parents were Solomon LYON and Fanny LAZARUS, daur of Mark Lazarus of Portsmouth.> Not really related to the AARON family research, I guess, but Mark Lazarus was part of the family of Simon Eleazer Lazarus of Portsmouth, some of whom went to Dublin around the same time as Henry Lazarus (who married Frances Barnett). This caused me some confusion till I worked out that this Henry Lazarus wasn't one from Portsmouth as I'd assumed. Dates, addresses of businesses, etc show this. But there were certainly a lot of Henry and Lewis Lazaruses around, making things very complicated to sort out.