tarragon

Default Condell (Condon) Family, Bannow Moor, Wexford

I am trying to research my Grandfather's family from Wexford. I do have my Grandfather's birth certificate which shows that he was born in Bannow Moor and was the son of James Condell and Mary Brown. They appear in the 1901 Census and I can see that he had a brother called Patrick but that is where I seem to have hit a very solid brick wall.

I do know that my Grandfather came to Wales and was in the South Wales Borderers during the 1st World War. For reasons that I do not know, the family name changed to Condon and my grandparents were known with both surnames as indeed was my father.

Any thoughts, advice etc. would be gratefully received.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    They appear in the 1901 Census and I can see that he had a brother called Patrick but that is where I seem to have hit a very solid brick wall.
    Hi tarragon

Cloud you clarify the nature of your birckwall for us please. Are you trying to trace James CONDELL and Mary BROWNs ancestry or are you trying to find son James in the 1911 census.

Also, just to be clear, could you confirm that this is your family in the 1901 census living in Bannow, Wexford.

1901: Residents of a house 18 in Bannow (Bannow, Wexford)
    Condell James, 50, head of family
    Condell Mary, 52, wife
    Condell Pat, 17, son
    Condell James, 15, son

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1901 census information.

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1911 census information for this family, minus James.

In 1911, is James boarding in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire? There is a James CONDON, born abt. 1886 in Wexford Bannow Resident. He is in the Navy. (RG14/33243 SN159)

Returning to the subject of the parents James CONDELL and Mary BROWN. There is a potential marriage in 1877, Wexford. Have you seen considered this one?

tarragon

Thank you so much for looking for me. Yes, that is the correct family. I had found the 1901 entry but for reasons I really cannot explain, I had not found the entry for 1911.

I had found the entry for James in Haverfordwest in 1911. I know he married my Grandmother in 1916 in Swansea so I guessed that he had moved to Wales.

I had not been able to find any additional information about Patrick Condell such as marriage etc.

Nor have I been able to add any information about their parents James Condell and Mary Brown although I did find an entry from the Church of the Latterday Saints about a girl (Ann) who must have been their first born in 1878 so a marriage in 1877 would seem very likely. I do not know what became of Ann either.

I should have been a bit clearer about what I am looking for which would be James Condell and his wife Mary Brown. I am not able to locate any information earlier than the marriage or the birth of Ann (at the moment) but I guess Brown is quite a common name so would be very easy to follow the wrong lead. As for James, I note that he is a Roman Catholic but virtually all of the Condell families I have looked at are Church of Ireland which makes me think that none of those are the correct line. That is where my brick wall is.

I am hoping to visit the area either this year or next year and hopefully, I will be able to find some useful information then.

Thank you once again, much appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I’d suggest you check the parish records to see what baptisms are recorded for the family. Here’s a link to a site which shows which parish records exist for Bannow (RC parish of Carrick on Bannow), and where copies are kept. Later records are likely still to be in local custody. You should contact the priest in advance if you would like to inspect them. The couple had 5 children, 4 of whom were still alive in 1911.

https://www.
    irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/

The 1875 marriage looks likely to me as the couple had been married 35 years in 1911. It’d be worth ordering a copy to get the family’s townlands and fathers names.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-06-2012 at 5:44 PM. Reason: Url edited - they have a shop
    ELWYN

tarragon

Thank you for the information and the link, will investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    I do not know what became of Ann either.
    I guess this is Ann's baptism...

name: Ann Condell
    birth date: 04 Aug 1878
    birthplace: Moor of Bannow, Wexford, Ireland
    father's name: James Condell
    mother's name: Mary Brown Condell
    (Family Search)

There is this set of marriages...

MARRIAGES Dec 1899 Wexford 4 363
    Anne Condon
    Margaret Bent
    Mary Anne Walsh
    John Crowley
    Andrew Hanlon
    Philip Roche
    Thomas Shuddall
    Note: There appears to be an odd number of individuals listed

We don't know who married who from the index, but playing with the 1901 and 1911 census, there is this couple - please bear in mind that I am guessing and you would need the marriage details to be sure - ...

1901: Residents of a house 14 in Vernegly (Bannow, Wexford)
    Roach Philip, 25, head of family, farm servt
    Roach Anne, 22, wife, domestic servt
    Roach Mary, dau
    All Roman Catholic and born Co Wexford

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1901 census information.

1911: Residents of a house 8 in Newtown (Bannow, Wexford)
    Roche Philiph, 36, head of family,
    Roche Annie, 32, wife, married 11 yrs
    Roche Mary, 10, dau
    Roche Ellen, 7, dau

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1911 census information.

You will need to investigate baptisms but..

We know from the 1911 census James and Mary CONDELL/CONDON had 5 children of which 4 are still living. We also know they had Ann, Patrick, and James. Checking the census again, in 1901 in Bannow there is a Mary CONDELL working for a CULLEN family. In 1911 her surname appears to have changed to CONDON. Unless this surname change was a trend in that area, then perhaps Mary is one of the missing children.

1901: Residents of a house 10 in Bannow (Bannow, Wexford)
    Condell Mary, 19, servant, farmer, born Wexford
    Servant to a Cullen family

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1901 census information

1911: Residents of a house 5 in Bannow (Bannow, Wexford)
    Condon Mary, 29, servant, gnl domestic servant, born Wexford
    Still a servant to a Cullen family

Link to the National Archives of Ireland 1911 census information

She possibly married in 1921...

MARRIAGES Dec 1921 Wexford 4 395
    Mary Condon
    Michael Doran
    Margaret Furlong
    Ellie Gaul
    Thomas Marley
    Thomas Rigley
    Mary Sherrie

tarragon

Wow, I am in awe of your research! Thank you for all of this effort and information - has given me a lot of food for thought and exploration. I am very grateful.