Marlene Dale

Smile FAIREY- Northamptonshire Pre 1901

Hi
    Has anyone got a Fairey grandmother in Northants? Or a Fairey Grandfather? Even Fairey greatgrandparents will do!
    I have a number of family who moved to the bottom of gardens in various places in Northamptonshire some as Faireys and others in disguise!

1.Jane Fairy married John Mobbs and went to live in Hinton In the Hedges.
    2.Evangeline Fairey married Nathanael John Furr in Wellingborough and their children were born in Irchester.
    3.Joseph Fairey married Emily Unknown and their children were born in Irchester.
    Children: Alfred Wiliam, George, Albert Ernest, Sarah Ellen, Owen Fairey.
    4.Alfred Fairey married Anna Maria Watkin and with their children lived in Rushden.
    5.William Fairey married Fanny Unknown from Suffolk and lived Northampton and Brixworth.Children: George H., Frank A., Lily & Eva Fairey
    6.Mary Ann Fairey married George Hills and lived in Irchester with their family.
    7. Stapletons from Rushden may have Fairey genes.
    8. Bithrays from Weekely may have <FONT color=red>Fairey%ildren were born in Irchester.
    All are related to my great grandmother and I would love to make contact witred>Alfred Wiliam, George, Albert Ernest, Sarah Ellen, Owen Fairey.</FONT>
    4.Alfred Fairey married Anna Maria Watkin and with their children lived in Rushden.
    5.William Fairey married Fanny Unknown from Suffolk and lived Northampton and Brixworth.Children: George H., Frank A., Lily & Eva Fairey
    6.Mary Ann Fairey married George Hills and lived in Irchester with their family.
    7. Stapletons from Rushden may have Fairey genes.
    8. Bithrays from Weekely may have <FONT color=red>Fairey%ildren were born in Irchester.
    All are related to my great grandmother and I would love to make contact with descendants.Hope to hear from someone!
    Marlene in New Zealand
    Last edited by Marlene Dale; 09-11-2004 at 7:01 AM.

janbooth

Default FAIRY, FEARYs in Northants

Hi Marlene,

I have a Mary FEARY who married John TALBOT in Peterborough 25th Nov 1771. They had 10 children, four of whom died in infancy. The survivors were Thomas bap 13 Apr 1780, William bap 14 Feb 1777, John bap 18 Nov 1778, James bap 25 Nov 1781, Mary bap 21 Nov 1784 and Charlotte bap 31 Dec 1786. According to the marriage record Mary FEARY was from Market Deeping, Lincs. She died 29 Jun 1818 aged 72 so would have been born circa 1746. There is an IGI record of a baptism in Market Deeping in Nov 1746 of a Mary FAIRY daughter of Thomas FAIRY and Elisabeth.

I don't know if this is of any use to you at the moment, but you might find a link as you trace further back.

Janet Booth.

Marlene Dale

Thanks Janet - I'll have a look!
    Marlene

Marlene Dale

Default Fairey

Hi Janet
    Hope you are still with this site!
    I am wondering if we do have a connection!
    I have William Farey who married Mary Cooper in 1788 in Riseley Beds. They had 8 children and umpteen grandchildren who dispersed far and wide many to Northants- Irchester, Irthlingboro, Wellingboro, Rushden, Hinton In Hedges, Northampton, Earls Barton etc. One grandchild settled in Horncastle Lincs where there are other (un)connected? Faireys.

William & Mary's children were;
    Thomas 1789 (baptism not recorded as the pages are missing from the PR)
    2nd Child was Susannah 1791
    3rd child was William 1793
    4th child was Elizabeth 1796
    5th child was Joseph 1798
    6th child was Mary Ann 1804

I have a copy of the customary naming order of children which doesn't follow here but William & Mary's does seem quite logical-
    the 1st child was named after the father's Father (in my case unknown) but possibly Thomas ???
    the 2nd child named after the mother's Mother - in my case Susannah Pearson so that is correct
    the 3rd child named after his father William in my case correct
    the 4th child named after her paternal grandmother Elizabeth? This would be correct if we are connected.
    the 5th child named after his maternal grandfather Joseph Cooper -in my case correct.
    the 6th child named after her mother Mary which would be correct.

So it would appear to be quite logical, if not the custom, that William Farey born c.1861 had parents named

janbooth

Default FAIREY's of Northants

Hello Marlene,

Yes I am still here but am no further forward with my FEARY/FAIREY research I am afraid. I haven't investigated any further because I still haven't been able to prove categorically that John TALBOT and Mary FEARY are my ancestors though I am pretty certain that they are mine. My gg grandfather was Thomas TALBOT a Master Harness Maker in Peterborough and according to all censuses he was born 1810/11 in Peterborough. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find his baptism in Peterborough so far. There is a Thomas TALBOT & a Sarah WILCOX (married 19 Apr 1803 at Peterborough) who had 2 children who do appear in the PRs (1803 & 1807), but no sign of a Thomas - unless perhaps they converted to a non-conformist religion prior to his birth which I have yet to check. That might make sense as none of my gg grandfather's children were baptised in the Church of England (or perhaps he was just an atheist!!). This Thomas TALBOT snr was baptised in 1780 the son of John TALBOT & Mary FEARY (from Market Deeping, Lincs daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth as I previously stated). John TALBOT was not baptised in Peterborough, so where he originated I do not as yet know.

At the moment I am waiting for the 1841 census of Northants to either come on line or be produced so I can try to find out a bit more about Thomas TALBOT snr. He did not die until 1849 (in Peterborough). I have also lost (very careless of me) Thomas TALBOT jnr in the 1841. His wife was in Norfolk, plus children, but not him, so I am hoping to find him back in Peterborough. They were back there in 1842 as one of his sons was buried there.

Looking at the IGI records for Thomas & Elizabeth FAIRY, it appears that they had 3 other daughters besides Mary baptised in Market Deeping between 1743 & 1751 and there are 2 male FEARYs (William & Robert) who had a child each (1780 & 1781) baptised in Market Deeping so they could perhaps be the children of Thomas & Elisabeth also, but this would have to be proved via PRs.

By the way, the last part of your message was missing from the Forum. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Janet.

Colin Freestone

Default FAIREY

Hi Marlene
    My name is Colin Freestone, my mother and I recently found your posting re: Fairey pre 1901; we hope you are still with this site as we may have some very useful information for you. Below is a note from my mother, followed by our family tree going back down the Fairey line to 1761:

Hi Marlene

I am Dorothy G Freestone (nee Furr). Whilst looking at the internet on my son Colin’s Laptop (trying to decide whether to buy a computer) we came across your posting on the British Genealogy website.

As you will see my grandmother was Evangeline Fairey. Colin and I did a lot of research before computers, as you will see, we have gone back a good way. I have now bought a laptop but have got to learn how to use it, so will let Colin do the correspondence.

Best wishes
    Dorothy

Family Tree for Dorothy Freestone and the Fairey line:

Dorothy Grace Freestone (nee Furr)
    Born 04/02/1927, Derby
    Mar. Thomas William Freestone, 08/09/1951

Children: Colin Nigel (born 12/03/1960); Kevin David (born 10/04/1967)

Father - John Henry Furr
    Born 10/09/1898, Derby
    Mar. Grace Carter, 22/12/1923

Children: Dorothy Grace; Eric John (born 09/03/1929)

Father - Nathanial John Furr
    Born 07/08/1861, Clifton Beds
    Mar. Evangeline Fairey
    Bap. 04/10/1865, Yeldon Beds

Children: Beatrice; George; Arthur; Fred; Walter; Janet; Leanna; Owen; John; Horace; Eva.

Father - Amos Fairey
    Born 1825, Risley Beds
    Mar. Charlotte Cox

Children: Mary Ann (born 29/06/1845 Yeldon, Beds); Rebecca; Owen; Evangeline; Leanna.

Father - Joseph Fairey
    Born 25/12/1798, Risley Beds
    Mar. Ann

Children: Amos; Ann; Eliza; Sarah; Thomas; George.

Father - William Fairey (b. 1761 Risley, Beds)
    Mar. Mary

Children: Joseph; Eliza.

I hope the above is of use and look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes
    Colin

Marlene Dale

Default Fairey Family

Kia ora Dorothy & Colin
    I have replied by PM and hopeto hear from you! I am especially interested in learning of the Deaths of our ancestors and the places to complete my individual files!
    Also any "family stories/ rumours/ or downright lies" which adds flesh to the bones!

I have much information to add to the above.
    Regards
    Marlene

A fountain of knowledge

Hello,

I live in Great Doddington, which is next to Earls Barton. Our village graveyard has at least one grave of a Fairey (off the top of my head I think their names were John and Sarah but don't quote me on that).

If anyone is interested in these guys I can get a photo of the grave.

Jane

Edited to add: Just looked at some notes I have (at one time I attempted putting together trees for some families in the village) - it was John and Sophia. John was born c. 1827 in Cogenhoe and Sophia was born c. 1831 in Strixton (both being villages not far from here).

carolthomas82

Hi Marlene
    This is my first time on this site, but came across your posting a few weeks ago whilst searching for my ancestors. It stood out to me, as I know a local family by this name.
    I live a stones throw from places, such as Godmanchester, Riseley and Rushden.
    I walk past headstones on our Baptist Church walls every day with the insciption of your "hopefully" ancestors. They are not particularly clear but have done my best to decipher them.
    I do hope they belong to you.....they are as follows:

ANN FAIREY wife of SAMUEL
    Ann d. 30/06/1823 age 70
    Samuel d. aged 80 (cannot read the date)

JAMES d. 12/12/1822 aged 40

ANN d. 27/09/1831 age 64
    SAMUEL d. 30/10/1855 age 17
    JOSEPH d. 29/07/1853 age 26
    ELIZ d. 24/04/1834 age 17
    JAMES d. 24/01/1838 age 27

The church is the NEW STREET BAPTIST CHURCH ST.NEOTS CAMBRIDGESHIRE
    e mail: [email protected]

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards
    Carol

RAY BEER

HI MARLENE, I have a WILLIAM FAIREY b.1865 in Water Eaton, Northampton, who married a ELIZABETH CONIE b.1865 in Flore.